cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay is broken

As stated in a previous recent post, I have been listing consistently for a few months (every day) . Well, I checked the view count on some of my new listings from early today and yesterday and they are almost nonexistent (along with sales). Yesterday, I listed a Kuhl Mens shirt (very popular brand) at a competitive price and see that it shows 0 views. Today I listed 3 pairs of Hoka One One Running Shoes at very competitive prices and they each have 3 total views (used to get 15 views within minutes of listing). Those 3 view counts have not changed in the past 2 hours. Either the view counter is messed up or Ebay's buyer pool at present has crashed. Something is really wrong. Is it Ebay, the economy, or both. 

Message 1 of 44
latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

Re: Ebay is broken

Yeah, something is up with eBay. Don't see such a drastic drop in a short timeframe being related to economy/inflation. See many other sellers saying the same thing...

Message 2 of 44
latest reply

Well if you promote your listing and purchasers are using add blockers that is one reason they will not be seen. Yet since the times they changes all the item specifics method search dont work so well......

It is a mess as far as I can tell and will remain so.

Message 3 of 44
latest reply

I haven't been selling on Ebay since last year when they took away the option for sellers to receive payments directly into Paypal so we could get the money faster and send out items quickly. Having to wait 3 to 5 days for payment or longer,and make the buyer wait too I'm just not happy about any of it. It sure did not help during this pandemic when people are already stressed about enough and then have to deal with Ebay pushing their payment ideas on everyone . They sure didn't ask me and I had been selling since both Ebay and Paypal started. Sellers buy where they sell and IF they aren't selling then they are not buying either. Ebay Loves to use paypal and all other payment services to get the money but the sellers do not get the payment for days and Ebay is making a percent of money from that payment setting in their account for days or so you would think. Buyers don't want to wait up to 5 business days before a seller ships their item out too. They have other places like Amazon they can get items shipped out faster. Ebay broke themselves.

Message 4 of 44
latest reply

You've had 31 sales in the past week. (since April 18).

335 since Dec. 31.

Just over 83 a month this year.

A day or two of respite means nothing.

Take a deep breath while you can. Get out in the sunshine.

You'll be run off your feet soon enough.

Message 5 of 44
latest reply

I don't appreciate the periods of total blackout. Absolutely nobody can convince me that Ebay does not significantly reduce listing exposure for periods of time. It literally is like a light switch is turned on when you once again are receiving full exposure. When you average days of nearly no sales, with days of good sales, it averages out to VERY mediocre sales. An average of $50/day profit is well below that of Burger King. On top of that, do people factor in all those items that never sell. 

Message 6 of 44
latest reply

I see antitrust issues that the attorney general needs to hear about paying for promoted listings yet ad blockers block them.  This is an issue that needs addressed immediately.  Maybe I should start a demand for arbitration……

Message 7 of 44
latest reply

eBay is making changes to the way they track page views, the goal is to make them much more meaningful and accurate. This was announced in the Spring Seller Update.

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2022-spring/business.html#traffic

During any overhaul of this type there will be periods during the transition when things may be a bit wonky.

One thing that will be a good change is the plan to eliminate Bot views, those instant views that listings get are all Bots and are really meaningless.

The best change is that views will now be on a rolling 30 day period (historical data also available). This will make the the View count in Active Listings worthwhile to look at.

Message 8 of 44
latest reply

I saw that announcement, however if 0 is the official true count on my item, then I say Ebay is broken. At least at present, the foundation that Ebay provides for building a profitable online business is extremely fragile. 

Message 9 of 44
latest reply

@goldrushfinds wrote:

I saw that announcement, however if 0 is the official true count on my item, then I say Ebay is broken. At least at present, the foundation that Ebay provides for building a profitable online business is extremely fragile. 

Ebay may be broken, but many sellers are failing to read and understand that Ebay's share of the Ecommerce world has been in decline for years and currently less than 5% of the eCommerce marketEbay market share.JPG.

the venue is busy collecting more revenue from sellers via promoted listings and increased fees.

There are quite a few alternatives where you can try and list your items,  see what happens, you got nothing to lose, seeing your items not getting sold here will not bring you the $$$.

Good Luck.

Message 10 of 44
latest reply

Keep in mind, you claim slow, someone else is busy.  I have had multiple items to ship every day this week so far (and that includes tomorrow).  Maybe you are just not putting as much effort into selling as you think, or maybe you are selling the wrong type of item.   Maybe your inventory is old or your prices or shipping too high.

Consider shopping your own items before you come lay blame.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 11 of 44
latest reply

No. I am not stupid. Every item I buy and list, I review the sell through rate on. I research active list and sold prices, and then tend to list toward the lower end of  the range for COMPARABLE items. I have been listing more non-clothing items as of late, and only items that have been selling well. It is just lights out. Sorry for my tone, but my patience is running thin (I am not attacking you and appreciate your input). 

Message 12 of 44
latest reply

My sales (across 3 accounts) comes in threes, just like deaths I am sad to say. I am talking dried up sales for weeks, and even months and then the  ebay gods feel it is my time to earn some cash and I will have 3 sales in a matter of a week. Has been this way for years but I signed away my rights to legally do something about it. ebay prefers to let sellers sell the cheap china junk and really don't give a whooopie about the rest of us.

Message 13 of 44
latest reply

I agree 100%. Just replied to the original poster about how my sales comes in threes, just like deaths!

Message 14 of 44
latest reply

So what makes you different from the ebay sellers who is UP or having record high sales?

Ebay's fault?  Do you think people dying to buy your items but ebay is somehow blocking them?

Sales are down = People DON'T  want to buy what you are selling.

Sales are up = People DO want to buy what you are selling.

Why is that so hard to grasp?

Why do sellers take offense to that notion?

Even when my own sales are down i don't blame ebay.  I blame myself.

I should be selling stuff that is more desirable, stuff that people want to buy.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 15 of 44
latest reply