cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay is a dieing service

I'm an 18yr member and i won't sell another item unless they fix these over priced fees.. total rip off. Final seller fees should be calculated before posting your items or at least simple and transparent. In the past i was never hit with such greedy fees and cost. Have fun killing your company. I'm out, plenty of other sites taking on your sellers and treating them better. And my finale words.... Ebay is Greedy.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Ebay is a dieing service

Cute cat, though.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Ebay is a dieing service

@firekatmeow 

Are you saying your fees have gone up since switching to Managed Payments?

For most sellers, fees have remained about the same. PayPal was charging 2.9%+30 cents per transaction. On that same transaction, eBay was taking 10%. So about 13%. 
With eBay you’re paying, right now, 12.35%. But you pay that on the total payment including shipping and any taxes on the transaction. 

That’s why I’m wondering why you’ve had a recent jump in fees. Did you add any listing upgrades?

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Ebay is a dieing service

Your Final Value Fee is based on the selling price, shipping cost and sales tax. Thet can't be known BEFORE your listing is posted.

The selling price isn't known until the item sells.

The shipping price isn't known until the destination and shipping method are known.

The sales tax isn't known until the selling price, shipping price and  destination State are known.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Ebay is a dieing service

you should see the taxes i pay the united states is greedy. plenty of other countries but i like this one. your 18 you have a lot to learn good luck

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Ebay is a dieing service

@firekatmeow wrote:

I'm an 18yr member and i won't sell another item unless they fix these over priced fees.. total rip off. Final seller fees should be calculated before posting your items or at least simple and transparent. In the past i was never hit with such greedy fees and cost. Have fun killing your company. I'm out, plenty of other sites taking on your sellers and treating them better. And my finale words.... Ebay is Greedy.

Fees have been pretty much the same for a long time. Managed Payments barely moves the needle.

As for FVF being transparent, if you can't do the arithmetic in your head, buy a calculator. It's not hard to multiply by 0.1235.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Ebay is a dieing service

I know what you mean. I saw the book the other day and it was about a 15% fee. That's just dumb. But what do you do.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Ebay is a dieing service

The fees haven't changed all that much over the past five years unless you are using promoted listings or consider free shipping a fee.   According to my annual P&L statements - my eBay+Paypal or MP fees are still in the 15-20% of the total price range for items under $20 - even for books - so I always estimate a 20% fee when setting the price, never use promoted listings, and rarely use free shipping. 

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Ebay is a dieing service

The only way to not pay the fees Ebay charges is for you to remove those listings you have for sale.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Ebay is a dieing service

As someone noted, you can not know your exact fees until after a purchase, but for simplicity's sake I just assume a 15% fee for just about everything except in a few categories, like books, which are a bit higher.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Ebay is a dieing service

@forgottenape wrote:

you should see the taxes i pay the united states is greedy. plenty of other countries but i like this one. your 18 you have a lot to learn good luck

*A Canadian has entered the chat...*

You want to compare taxes? 😁

She ❤︎ Her ❤︎ Hers
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Ebay is a dieing service

Although seller doesn't have the exact FVF before sales, FVF as the main selling cost should and can be reasonably calculated prior to listing in order for seller to set price for fixed price listings.

The two variables in FVF are shipping and sales tax, while shipping may be fixed or removed if seller offers flat or free shipping. If shipping uses actual rates, seller can reasonably calculate its contribution to FVF using carrier's average rates. Similarly seller can use the average US sales tax rate 7.12% to calculate sales tax contribution to FVF.

I offer free domestic shipping and my FVFs for domestic sales average at a little over 13%, the difference from 12.35% representing FVF charged on sales tax. And my FVFs for international sales are 14%, including the 1.65% intl fee but no FVF on shipping or sales tax. 

"What do we live for, if it's not to make life less difficult for each other?" — G Eliot
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Ebay is a dieing service

Yes, i just have not sold much in the last 10 or 12 years, more purchases. I had not noticed the fee changes. Still steeep! 

@chapeau-noir  and yes thank you, she was the greatest cat. (RIP) ❤

Message 13 of 13
latest reply