cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer wants Fedex Damage Claim made, but threw away the box!

The new forum layout  is terrible. But onto the issue -

I have a customer who contacted me about an item I sold that was damaged in shipping by Fedex according to the buyer.  He sent pictures of the damage, but trashed the box (at first he said he no longer had the box,  but retrieved trashed pieces of the box later).  

I filed a claim with Fedex online form (item cost $75 plus about $30 shipping).  I submitted the pictures of the damaged item, but couldn't upload any pics of the box and packaging since the buyer threw away (was only able to retrieve some scraps).  Completely understand why Fedex needs to see the box and packaging for evidence, but since it's gone is there a chance at all I'll get a claim approved?  If not, and since the buyer threw away the evidence to potentially get reimbursement for the damage, do I have any rights on this with Ebay?   So far I'm lucky the buyer seems very nice and cooperative and no case has been opened yet. And the item does seem to function, I believe it's only cosmetic damage.  What would an experienced seller do under these circumstances?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

As the seller, YOU have to make good on any damage.  The buyer is not required to do a thing.  All you can do is issue a paid return label and refund in full when you receive it back. With luck, many buyers never get around to returning items.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can have the buyer return the item for a refund and provide a return shipping label. That’s what I usually do. 

With cosmetic damage you can offer the buyer a partial refund for the amount the item was devalued.

The choice is yours and what makes e most sense for your business.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Of course by filing the claim, I'm taking responsibility.  But I'm a little shocked the buyer threw away the box and packaging in less than 1 day of receiving.  This impacts my chances of any type of claim with Fedex.  I feel the buyer has some responsibility for destroying the required evidence needed for me to recoup my money for what Fedex did.  I guess I'm asking if ebay has a policy on this - but I'm pretty sure I already know the answer - no.  I'm assuming Fedex will deny the claim and I'll try to offer a discount to the customer.   But to send a return label doesn't make much sense - I'll be stuck with about $60 in shipping both ways - I'll just have to take a loss. Kind of unfair since it was packaged very well, fedex must have dropped it, and the buyer threw away the evidence!

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Why offer the buyer a discount? 

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

I disagree! Buyers DO have the legal responsibility to return the item! 

Only an idiot or a scammer would throw away the evidence of shipping damage, knowing it might be needed. 

Message 6 of 6
latest reply