cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay closes case "item is not is described" in buyer's favor when the problem is described.

Actually I want to discuss 2 problems. The 1st one is in the title and the 2nd one is cluelessness of eBay customer support.
My buyer opened a return case "item is not as described" because the item smells bad and she can't use it. I clearly described in the listing the item has storage smell. As far as I understand if somebody is sensitive to smells he/she should not buy an item with smell warning. I sent her a message that according to eBay rules I don't have to accept the return for the reason described. According to my store policy I do not accept returns but I understand I can make a mistake. This time it was not a mistake. She never replied to me. I called to eBay and explained the situation. A guy from customer support, his name was Robert, told me I should accept the return. I asked why? He told me something like "because" and this is it, "it is your problem with her and your business", "you should work with her but if she asks us to step in and help we will close the case in her favor. Again why??? Check the listing, check my communication please. He told me we are not going back to review anything in your listing, we will not review any messages. He was like a machine, I asked a question, he had no logical answer and was repeating same thing over and over again. I started screaming because my nerves were going up. He pushed me several times that he can close the case just right now and when I asked "in her favor?" he told yes.
Later I accepted the return because it was already the last day and I don't want to hurt my account and also I had no other choice.
What is going on? Why should I accept return for the reason that is described in my listing? Can anybody give me any correct logical answer? Why was the customer support so rude and unhelpful?

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Ebay closes case "item is not is described" in buyer's favor when the problem is described.

"According to my store policy I do not accept returns. . .."

But eBay policy on SNAD returns voids out nearly ALL such seller "no return" policies.

It is possible that your buyer made the purchase on a mobile device, which may not have fully disclosed the storage smell.  Did you refer to the storage smell in the TITLE of your listing, or only under "Condition" or "Item Description," as the latter two areas seem to have less visibility on mobile devices, than on regular computor systems.

While the eBay CS reps generally receive a well-deserved bad rep, it does sound as if they were attempting to make you understand that you were on the losing side of a SNAD case, which are generally treated as "buyer wins, seller loses" cases 99.999% of the time.  I've been there, too -- so have many of us -- so we all sympathize.  But it's eBay's game, and eBay makes the rules.

Let it go -- but file it under "lesson learned."

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

If a buyer files SNAD, it is your word against hers.

And the buyer will win most every time.

Good move that you decided to take the return yourself because if ebay had stepped in and done it for you, you would have gotten a defect.

And now it seems ebay does not want to hear or review anything.  They file, you refund.  Period, I am afraid.

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

eBay can't tell if the item merely has "some storage smell!!!" or is unusable because it reeks to high heaven. 

While I'm sure you're happy to unload a smelly item for $159 (?), eBay does not want to be a hit & run site.  They want sellers to take care of unhappy buyers.

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

Items that smell should not be listed here, even with a disclaimer.

It is a snad waiting to happen.

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

"According to my store policy I do not accept returns. . .."

But eBay policy on SNAD returns voids out nearly ALL such seller "no return" policies.

It is possible that your buyer made the purchase on a mobile device, which may not have fully disclosed the storage smell.  Did you refer to the storage smell in the TITLE of your listing, or only under "Condition" or "Item Description," as the latter two areas seem to have less visibility on mobile devices, than on regular computor systems.

While the eBay CS reps generally receive a well-deserved bad rep, it does sound as if they were attempting to make you understand that you were on the losing side of a SNAD case, which are generally treated as "buyer wins, seller loses" cases 99.999% of the time.  I've been there, too -- so have many of us -- so we all sympathize.  But it's eBay's game, and eBay makes the rules.

Let it go -- but file it under "lesson learned."

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

I check every item I sell. If the item has strong smell I will definitely describe it  (I don't need stupid returns) but I am sure with this item. I marked some smell just in case if somebody wnat to find a way for return he/she can't return it for this reason. This item has no smells at all! I am 100% sure. I sell on Ebay for the last 10 years and check every item very carefully. Like previous girl say its just my word against her. Seller on Ebay just a way from were they have money.

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

Any seller can sell used items here and some used stuff and the most vintage like this can have smell. Everybody can sell with smell, rips, cracks etc just describe it. What you are talking about? 

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

You definitely work for Ebay or you the buyer who bought this item but from your second accound becasue I never stated the price on forum. Nobody can know it just Ebay or Buyer. I understand your unswer now.

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

@brandlandwrote:

You definitely work for Ebay or you the buyer who bought this item but from your second accound becasue I never stated the price on forum. Nobody can know it just Ebay or Buyer. I understand your unswer now.

Hate to break it to you, but everyone can see your sold listings.  They can see exactly what you sold and how much it sold for.

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

I sold more than 100 items last month and every listing has mark with storage smell (stronger or "some" smell) . How can you know wich item is in return case now??? I know you can see all items for sell and sold! I am not first day on Ebay.

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

This is true.

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

I check every item I sell. If the item has strong smell I will definitely describe it  (I don't need stupid returns) but I am sure with this item. I marked some smell just in case if somebody wnat to find a way for return he/she can't return it for this reason. This item has no smells at all! I am 100% sure.

I checked a handful of your sold items that seemed in the right date range, found one with the "some storage smell!!!" notation, and guessed that might be the one.  Are you saying you just randomly state some have odors when you know they don't???

I sold more than 100 items last month and every listing has mark with storage smell (stronger or "some" smell) .

No, they don't all say that.

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

Debra, please stop! First of all I don't stated the item has "some storage smell" notice (which is true but how do you know about it if you are not that buyer because I stated in forum only "storage smell" without word "some") and the second (anybody can check it!) if you open my sold 208!!! items list you will see smell warning in every listing (but some has just smell warning, some "some smell" warning). 208 items with different prices and different warnings!!! You want to say you choose the correct one randomly??? Come on:)))))

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

@brandlandwrote:

Debra, please stop! First of all I don't stated the item has "some storage smell" notice (which is true but how do you know about it if you are not that buyer because I stated in forum only "storage smell" without word "some") and the second (anybody can check it!) if you open my sold 208!!! items list you will see smell warning in every listing (but some has just smell warning, some "some smell" warning). 208 items with different prices and different warnings!!! You want to say you choose the correct one randomly??? Come on:)))))

Not sure who Debra is, but yes, if that's the right one, it was guessed because it was the first I checked in that date range that mentioned storage smell.  A previous listing referred to a perfume smell.

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

Sorry but selling smelly items will continue to give you problems. There is not such thing as saying something stinks and the buyer must keep it. You need to clean it before you list it or don't sell it here.

Message 15 of 22
latest reply