cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay closes case "item is not is described" in buyer's favor when the problem is described.

Actually I want to discuss 2 problems. The 1st one is in the title and the 2nd one is cluelessness of eBay customer support.
My buyer opened a return case "item is not as described" because the item smells bad and she can't use it. I clearly described in the listing the item has storage smell. As far as I understand if somebody is sensitive to smells he/she should not buy an item with smell warning. I sent her a message that according to eBay rules I don't have to accept the return for the reason described. According to my store policy I do not accept returns but I understand I can make a mistake. This time it was not a mistake. She never replied to me. I called to eBay and explained the situation. A guy from customer support, his name was Robert, told me I should accept the return. I asked why? He told me something like "because" and this is it, "it is your problem with her and your business", "you should work with her but if she asks us to step in and help we will close the case in her favor. Again why??? Check the listing, check my communication please. He told me we are not going back to review anything in your listing, we will not review any messages. He was like a machine, I asked a question, he had no logical answer and was repeating same thing over and over again. I started screaming because my nerves were going up. He pushed me several times that he can close the case just right now and when I asked "in her favor?" he told yes.
Later I accepted the return because it was already the last day and I don't want to hurt my account and also I had no other choice.
What is going on? Why should I accept return for the reason that is described in my listing? Can anybody give me any correct logical answer? Why was the customer support so rude and unhelpful?

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Ebay closes case "item is not is described" in buyer's favor when the problem is descr

What are you talking about? How can you know the time range? What time range? Maybe I had this situation month or 3 month ago and desided to ask today. Pleade stop it starts to be too funny.

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

Re: Ebay closes case "item is not is described" in buyer's favor when the problem is descr

I don't see a date range mentioned, but I'm more curious about how someone comes up with hundreds of 'designer' wallets.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 17 of 22
latest reply

I sell vintage stuff. How can you take off the smell from vintage item? If you think you can do it easily, it means you never had a deal with vintage item or with the item that was kept in storage for long time. (it is possible but that's why I sell my stuff for pretty good prices, just to give my buyers credit to buy special anti smell remedy). Somebody can pay $900 for new wallet but somebody can't, but can buy same wallet for $150 and make a renovation for 100-150 more. I would never sell the item with extremely bad odor or something like that. This items has the old item smell which is absolutely normal for the item that has 15-25 years old! I love this stuff (I love evrything what is vintage) and I do the job I love as well and nobody can tell me what I should sell and what I wouldn't!

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

How I found the way to find hundreds authentic brand name stuff it is my business. I don't ask you about your stuff. I sell AUTHENTIC stuff for pretty good prices and working hard for 18 hours a day to founbd this stuff. I sell REAL stuff and I am an honest seller.

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

This items has the old item smell which is absolutely normal for the item that has 15-25 years old!

A few posts back you were 100% certain it had no smell at all.  Hopefully this helps explain why eBay is between a rock and a hard place on these claims, and why they really doesn't want to hear the "facts" du jour.

eBay's goal in matters where they can't determine who is telling the truth is to get things close to the way they were before the purchase: buyer has his money and seller has his item.  This way, hopefully neither party is taking a huge loss.  If the item is truly trash, the buyer won't be out $159; if it's as good as the seller believes, he can sell it again to somebody else.

Message 20 of 22
latest reply

If I may make one quick suggestion: unscented Febreeze. It really does work wonders in a world where, probably genetic based, the sense of smell is highly variable between individuals.
Message 21 of 22
latest reply

OP, getting back your original issue, the current policy is that whatever reason the buyer chooses when the return was crated is assumed to be correct. C-S will no longer allow challenges to SNAD returns while they are in process. So once the buyer chose SNAD, no matter whether the reason, the return must be accepted and paid label issued.  If you get back a switched or damaged item the current advice is to call c-s (??).  

Message 22 of 22
latest reply