cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay banning Dr. Seuss books is the last straw for me. Cancel culture at its finest!

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Ebay banning Dr. Seuss books is the last straw for me...

@stevesguitarcave 

The Dr Seuss Enterprises has decided to cease publishing 6 of their titles out of over 40 available.  ebay is supporting their decision to do so.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/02/us/dr-seuss-books-cease-publication-trnd/index.html

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

The more companies that tailor their policies to the fascist dictates of the woke, the stronger the woke become.  The canceling of not only books is coming at a faster pace, and will continue on until we collectively put our foot down.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

EBay management should really focus on supporting eBay sellers, buyers & stockholders.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@whiskertail wrote:

The more companies that tailor their policies to the fascist dictates of the woke 

The estate of Dr. Seuss are the ones who chose to halt publication of these books. 

Are you calling the descendents of Dr. Seuss "fascists"?

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@disneyshopper wrote:

@stevesguitarcave 

The Dr Seuss Enterprises has decided to cease publishing 6 of their titles out of over 40 available.  ebay is supporting their decision to do so.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/02/us/dr-seuss-books-cease-publication-trnd/index.html

Publication of the books has ceased, this is true; but Ebay is a marketplace - not a first run publisher or primary bookstore. Ebay should not dictate people reselling their books, even if they are out of print. There are a myriad of other books that are out of print, and entirely fine to sell.   

Now, you could argue that the books contain depictions of racism and that's why they should be delisted; but that argument also kind of falls flat, as Ebay gladly allows sellers to list Uncle Tom's Cabin or Huckleberry Finn. You can even find copies of Mein Kampf, which is both out of print and highly racist.   

But like all things on Ebay, Ebay has the final say and discretion when it comes to listings, and they can absolutely take them down. It just seems capricious and highly targeted in this case simply because of recent cultural controversies rather than following any actual policy other than "because we can". 

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

@whiskertail wrote:

The more companies that tailor their policies to the fascist dictates of the woke 

The estate of Dr. Seuss are the ones who chose to halt publication of these books. 

Why would a cease of publication stop a marketplace from selling second-hand books? There are tons of examples of books in Ebay that are out of print (not being published) and have lots of listings. If Ebay were named Waldenbooks or Barnes & Noble and were selling them directly, you might have a case as to why they would cease sales. But Ebay is not a primary sellers of books; Ebay is a marketplace for 3rd party sellers to sell goods.    

While I respect Ebay's right to delist whatever items they wish (as it is their marketplace), it seems very odd to me that they would target these 6 Dr. Suess books and allow other books perfectly fine. It can't be that they are out of print - because you can easily find thousands of out of print titles on Ebay. It can't be because of their racism, because you can find hundreds of books that have racism on Ebay. So their only policy here is "because we said so", which does in fact fit the definition of fascism or at least, totalitarianism. That's Ebay terms when sellers agreed to sell. But you shouldn't be disillusioned on what it is - a capricious policy choice enacted based on current news rather than blanket policy rules. 

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

The more companies that tailor their policies to the fascist dictates of the woke, the stronger the woke become. The canceling of not only books is coming at a faster pace, and will continue on until we collectively put our foot down.

People who administer their own private property (the Seuss Foundation) as they wish are not fascists.  eBay is a capitalist entity - they make policy as they wish, it's called free enterprise.  We don't have to like it.  No one is ripping these books out of your hands - they are everywhere.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

No.   The fascists are the woke who use their coercive, manipulative and threatening tactics to force society into submission to their totalitarian dictates.  The author's estate and eBay are among the woke's target companies to perform their dirty work.

Yes, companies can do what they like, but we can also acknowledge the external pressures behind the decisions they make.  My point is to focus on why they make these moves, and to call it what it is:  censorship.

Parents can decide which books are best for their children, just as we adults can decide what is best for each of us; we don't need self-appointed censors to make that decision for us.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply