cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay & PayPal fees

Why must ebay penalize the seller by taking comission off of shipping charges?  $40 off my item that sold for $225 seems steep.  That includes a transacton fee for PayPal of $7.10.  Just seems to me that if the seller ups his price to take care of these fees, the buyer cannot be getting a good bargain.  Looking for the thoughts of others.

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Re: Ebay & PayPal fees

Free shipping is never free. It just means the shipping cost is already added to the item cost!
Message 16 of 34
latest reply

Yeah, that's why I put it in quotes. The point is that if the total is the same, the fees should be the same regardless of how much is in which bucket.

Ebay is going to take the same amount of fees regardless. They are never going to say that the fee on shipping was stupid and take a huge hit. If they ever removed it they would raise other fees to compensate.

Message 17 of 34
latest reply

Why must ebay penalize the seller by taking comission off of shipping charges?  

I an not penalized anymore.  Heavy items are listed someplace else. Now that we have to pay to have a phony SNAD return shipping paid to the buyer, it is all the more usless to even try in Vinatage and Antiques in which I sold since 1998.  Not going to happen.

When the vig on shipping came into play, ebay claimed it was due to sellers (imagine that) that were posting items for sale  with a $10 price and $200 shipping charge.  That was called FEE AVOIDANCE and against the rules.  Those who engaged in this were reported ad nauseum for over two years. NOTHING WAS DONE to those sellers.  The listings remained up and all was ok according to ebay.   They needed a fee increase, and rather than sanction the crooks, they made us all pay. 

Message 18 of 34
latest reply

It was a pretty bad fee increase on Ebay's part because I remember on the boards at the time that once all the compensating things like free listings and free pictures were added in, for most sellers this was revenue neutral.

Maybe heavy items should be sold locally. I'm not sure it makes sense shipping them all over the country.

Message 19 of 34
latest reply

After all this time I cannot believe ebay does not inclued Regional Flat Rate shipping in their choices.  It is cheaper unless you are going coast to coast.

Message 20 of 34
latest reply

I agree. Ebay and Paypal don't seem to update their postage selection very often. I use RRA boxes a lot.

Message 21 of 34
latest reply

@chzuck wrote:

@7606dennis wrote:

I'm curious about the $40 on a $225 sale.  Did the $225 include S&H or was it just the selling price?

That was the shipping included.

10% of $225 is only $22.50 by my math.  Where did the extra $17.50 come from?  

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 22 of 34
latest reply

@7606dennis wrote:

@chzuck wrote:

@7606dennis wrote:

I'm curious about the $40 on a $225 sale.  Did the $225 include S&H or was it just the selling price?

ebay $23.45, PayPal $7.10, shipping $9.54

Message 23 of 34
latest reply

By the way, no where in eBay's User Agreement does it say that a buyer is guaranteed or should expect a good bargain.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 24 of 34
latest reply

@chzuck wrote:

After all this time I cannot believe ebay does not inclued Regional Flat Rate shipping in their choices.  It is cheaper unless you are going coast to coast.

The Regional boxes are available when printing postage labels. eBay staff tried to explain why they chose not to offer them in the shipping calculator setup on the listing form, but it sounded like they didn't understand how the Regional boxes work.

The Regional ""A" boxes are cheaper than the regular Priroity Mail rates for any package over 2 pounds regardless of destination.

The Regional "B" boxes are cheaper for packages over 5 pounds to any zone, but the Medium flat rate box is cheaper than either of those if you're shipping to Zones 6 - 8.

Message 25 of 34
latest reply

@chzuck wrote:

@7606dennis wrote:

@chzuck wrote:

@7606dennis wrote:

Why are you calling your postage cost an eBay/PayPal fee? 

Message 26 of 34
latest reply

@thatsallfolks wrote:

@chzuck wrote:

@7606dennis wrote:

@chzuck wrote:

@7606dennis wrote:

Why are you calling your postage cost an eBay/PayPal fee? 

My mistake.

Message 27 of 34
latest reply

So what does eBay have planned for 2018? You might not like what another eBay executive had to say about that. Chief Financial Officer Scott Schenkel told Wall Street analysts eBay was considering becoming the merchant of record – meaning, when a buyer pays for something on eBay via PayPal, the money would go to eBay, not the seller.
Message 28 of 34
latest reply

@kvanity wrote:
So what does eBay have planned for 2018? You might not like what another eBay executive had to say about that. Chief Financial Officer Scott Schenkel told Wall Street analysts eBay was considering becoming the merchant of record – meaning, when a buyer pays for something on eBay via PayPal, the money would go to eBay, not the seller.

Have you not posted this enough times (including on old threads) & what does it have to do with the OP's issue?

Message 29 of 34
latest reply

I'm sorry I am not so tech savvy. But I thought E-bay and paypal had the same owners.... or were some how affiliated. ... ie venmo is owned by paypal. hence a monopoly of sorts. I STRONGLY suggest all sellers review thier account in paypal and ebay after a sale is done. Selling an item that cost you $15 is not a great profit if it sells at $20 with free shipping. the profit is still just $2.12 if the buyer pays shipping. Ebay gets about $2 and paypal about $0.80. If you offer free shipping you end up losing money, so why invest in an item? I think the new ebayers need to wake up as the old ebayers never had shipping charges deducted. I understand people would charge too much for shipping on a low cost/low value item but fix it.

Message 30 of 34
latest reply