cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Sales completely stopped in last 2 months October 2022

Hello, I have been on ebay for 20 years selling off and on. I opened my ebay stores in 2013 and have been having great sales until the last 2 1/2 years. Sales have been declining slowly and steady for the last year and a half. 2021 and 2022 have been horrible nothing but a downward spiral..

I have done updating, relisting, sell similar, new listings, new pics, updated coded listings, added promo, having sales 10%-15% off. new titles Nothing is giving. 

I know my listings are not being found on the search results. I'm pretty much ghosted even though i can see them myself. No page impressions.. Not to mention china sellers are always at the top of the search results because of multiple never ending new accounts from the  same seller and low prices.

This is it I'm calling it quits as the business has dwindled to $100 dollar weeks. 

I sell industrial filtering media so the demand will be there. I keep reading how online shopping  is down all around ebay, posh, mercari etc. This is an ebay issue.  Looks like they are weeding out sellers quickly.

ebay sent me a message to try the new beta marketing campaign $500 off **bleep**! to get listings at the top of search results. 

Anybody having a similar experience, I would like to hear from you. 

Message 1 of 259
latest reply
258 REPLIES 258

Re: Ebay Sales completely stopped in last 2 months October 2022

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep. That’s my soul up there. From what I think, the search engine picks whatever is selling the most, that’s what it’ll go after. Got Pokémon cards? Got sneakers? BOOM! You got a sale! Got a Picasso or something ultra rare that’s worth $$$? Eh…it can wait. That’s why I ain’t selling here and I ain’t giving them my SS# either. 
eBay: “Well, if you don’t do what we want, you won’t get any money.”
eBay Sellers: “Well, guess what, y’all? Y’all ain’t getting any money either…”

What a GREAT business model. Ha.

Message 31 of 259
latest reply

My clothing sales were booming in 2008 - I did extremely well during the so-called "great recession".  It's a real crap shoot sometimes knowing what sells and what doesn't.

Agree with inflation being world-wide problem, though - with snarled logistics and corporate greed it's hitting everyone. Inflation is 10% in England. 

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 32 of 259
latest reply

I have been a loyal E-Bay seller for years. However, inflation aside what is going on behind the scenes with their algorithms is simply getting ridiculous.

I have recently begun scouting out other platforms for selling and don’t seem to be having the same troubles on them.

Now of course business is business and E-Bay must cater to their money makers overseas but if they keep this up thats all they will have left. The same way we as sellers have competition from those other sellers, E-Bay has competition from other selling platforms. One mass exodus of sellers and they will no longer be on top.

Message 33 of 259
latest reply

Same here. I have been on EBAY 17 years. The last three days "zero sales".  The only time that has happened is when we went on vacation. Down roughly 20% over the last year. Clicks are down etc. My watchers are up slightly every day. I am priced extremely competitively on most items. It's bizarre and sad. I guess I will branch out to other platforms.

Message 34 of 259
latest reply

eBay's Failure to Advertise like all the other platforms you mentioned are one of the major reason sales are down. 

When your competition out advertises you 100 to None its a given outcome.

eBay need Advertising ASAP!

Is there any discussion at eBay about this?

devon@ebay

Devon@ebay

Message 35 of 259
latest reply

ITS NOT THE ECONOMY!!!! Quit saying that. Its off, its on, its off, its on, its off, its on with no correlation to the economy.

I haven’t sold $500 in the past week. Last time they turned it back on I sold $6000 in 3 days.

They definitely got it ducked up and it has ZERO to do with the economy.

For everything that happens conditions exist such that nothing else could have happened.
Message 36 of 259
latest reply

Same here. Between now and the 12th I've had exactly one sale of a little over $6 total, and that was because I sent an offer to a watched item. Despite having a lot of niche items based on past history I should at bare minimum be making at least one sale every two days. Nothing has sold organically since the 12th which I noticed is around the time the site changes were implemented. I have been listing every day when possible. I hope that the site gets fixed soon because this is the time of year that sales are best for me.

Message 37 of 259
latest reply

YES!

How long would a coffee shop survive if the city ripped out the road in front of it for weeks at a time? Not long.

ebay has tanked it with incompetence.  Has ABSOLUTELY ZERO to do with the economy. Thats a rationalization and not a very good one.

they just say duck you and the subscription you paid for. We don’t owe you hit for the money you paid. We don’t need to provide what you paid for because you can never prove we didn’t.

I wish they would just be honest. “Yea, it’s broken, we broke it, we’re sorry. It will be back up on XX” 
I am not holding my breath for that kind of integrity to show back up after being gone more than a decade.

For everything that happens conditions exist such that nothing else could have happened.
Message 38 of 259
latest reply

You are totally out of touch with this thread. Its not a slow drop.

last month I sold $15000. This month I haven’t sold $2000.

Its not a slow slide. Its a switch that was turned off about two weeks ago. A switch that gets turned off every time incompetent IT changes something. Its not new and it didn’t happen over a period of months. Its acute. 

Message 39 of 259
latest reply

Don’t drop your prices.

Don’t up your promotions.

Just wait. It will come back on. It’s usually not off this long. It’s usually just off a week while they update. Its been three or four now. It will come back on. Nothing you do in the meantime will help.

I work on other platforms while I wait.

Message 40 of 259
latest reply

That is totally unrelated to the discussion in this thread.

Message 41 of 259
latest reply

Same here...Ive been making 10 to 20x Store fee a month or Better for years. Now Im lucky to make $100 profit a week.

A Free Months Store fees would be nice! 

Or to see MY money working with some TV Advertising.

Message 42 of 259
latest reply

How does the media not pick up on this? How do the shareholders not pick up on this?

If I was a large stakeholder I would read this thread and be **bleep**! For twenty people to be here reporting a massive sales drop there must be a thousand others also experiencing the same that aren’t here complaining. That is A LOT of lost sales. Millions of dollars worth of stuff that could have sold without ANOTHER fumbled update rollout. That MUST show on the main graph. I see it on my graph. You probably see it on your graph right? How did the shareholders not pitch a total fit and roll some heads the very first time several million dollars went up in smoke due to incompetent IT on their BIG GRAPH! 

Maybe when trying to squeeze everything out of promoted with promoted “advanced” fails this CEO can kick rocks like the last three and we will get another shot at competent leadership.

I just see promoted listings as a fee increase so I give them another 2%. It was 1% when that was allowed. They took away the visibility we paid for with the store subscription and fees and sell it back to us via promoted listings. Promoting listings was yours whole job to begin with! “Pay me more and I will do my job better.” Gimme a break.

Maybe it works in China.

Message 43 of 259
latest reply

The online competition has exploded over recent years.  Couple that with a bad economy and here we are.

eBay still good for collectibles and things no longer easily found for sale.

Message 44 of 259
latest reply

We are having the exact same problem! Nothing seems to help….listing everyday, high promotion rates, etc. 

Message 45 of 259
latest reply