cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Paypal USPS scam tips/insights to prevent

The same scammer keeps messaging me trying to buy all my new listings. (buyer request first class package shipping, then opens Paypal case not received)

I have 11 recorded cases of myself and OTHER SELLERS being scammed.

I reported the buyer in February with PROOF from ebay messages showing that the buyer themself said they were using multiple accounts.

Ebay, Paypal, USPS will do nothing about it.

The buyer is using 8 FAKE Ebay ID's, 5 fake Paypal names, 4 fake Paypal emails, 6 addresses.

Ebay Trust and Safety Report numbers;

#1-135613221557 Agent M. southeast asia

SR# 1-103901472547

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Ebay Paypal USPS scam tips/insights to prevent

Tips and insight on how to get this scammer to stop contacting me from multiple accounts would be greatly appreciated.

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

PUT HIM IN YOUR BLOCKED BIDDERS LIST.  THIS ALSO STOPS COMMUNICATIONS.

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

used this and hope it works
Message 4 of 27
latest reply

I'm pretty sure it does not stop communications. Unless it's recent, we often get buyers writing and asking why we blocked them.

Though this would definately make sense. But that's not how things run here.

@jlacroix1 wrote:

PUT HIM IN YOUR BLOCKED BIDDERS LIST.  THIS ALSO STOPS COMMUNICATIONS.

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

Thanks for the reply.

My main issues is he has contacted me with 8 FAKE Ebay ID's as I mentioned. A new ebay ID every couple days.

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

Is he 'contacting ' you ?

Or is he bidding?

If he is bidding, BBL and cancel the bids immediately.

Are all those IDs on your BBL?

In theory, that stops new IDs from the same ISP.

Also, if the person has never had a transaction with you, including incomplete transactions, communication is supposed to be blocked.

If he is contacting you outside of eBay, you should be able to spot the style by now and Delete without reading.

If he sends you eBay Messages, Delete without reading.

Do NOT communicate.

Also, use Fixed Price with Immediate Payment Required instead of Auctions with Buy It Now.

If you are using BIN, you know how much you want for the item, so cater to the Immediate Gratification crowd, while laughing at the scammer.

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

Thanks for the reply.

He contacts me saying his brother is going to make an offer then puts an offer in. The accounts he initally contacts me on all have 40+ ratings.

We had 2 transactions $500+ on ebay that the buyer opened a dispute on paypal and won and still tries to buy from me over the last 10 months and just keeps messaging on new accounts.

I have had luck with fixed or best offer just for selling some computer & camera parts every couple months.

It is somewhat easy to spot, uses similar ebay names sometimes different.

Thanks for all your ideas!

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

Youre a total scammer magnet when you show a low feedback count and high value target like electronics and other things over $100. You can put the guy on your blocked bidder list although he will still be able to send you messages. But even if you do get messages from him then no one says that you have to answer. Just delete and forget.

If you ship a high value item internationally then use shipping methods that will show delivery confirmation. First class package only shows delivery to certain countries. If a buyer wants to buy an expensive item from you then he should expect to pay Priority shipping as well - not suddenly claim poverty and ask for a cheap rate of postage. That is how you lose your item not received dispute.

If these are popular expensive items then just limit your shipping to US only. Let the buyer in Russia or wherever find another seller to rip off for that item.

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

@chrismag59 wrote:

He contacts me saying his brother is going to make an offer then puts an offer in. The accounts he initally contacts me on all have 40+ ratings.

That rminds me about 1 other thing: a message like that is a total scam setup.

His 'brother' might be anybody with another account who is going to make you an offer or buy it now sooner or later - someone who has no connection to that guy. But your scammer will watch your listing to see when it sells (to anyone at all - doesnt matter who). He then sends you another note to say that now that his 'brother' has bought the item for him he would like you to ship it to a differnt address instead and not the one that you got with the payment.

Thats the scam right there. You did not sell to his 'brother' and your real buyer knows nothing about it. You only ship to the address that you got with your Paypal payment - and you only ship after you log into your Paypal account yourself and see that it says Ok to ship.

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

OP, here is the best advice you can get..it will solve all your problems.......Do NOT list anything on ebay worth over $25 until you have as much recent selling feedback as the dollar value of your item.

You want to list a $120 item, wait until you have 120 recent selling feedback.  By that time you will have learned that there is little to no seller protection and what the scammers are interested in.

So many new sellers list their high dollar items first and have no idea how to protect themselves and scammers profile that and cash in on it.

(*Bleep*)
Message 11 of 27
latest reply

Thanks for all the insight.

There was a little more to the scenario. I orginally had 5 seperate listings and he wanted them all so I gave 10% deal + priority was $90+ and that lead to 2 first class packages being cheaper (my fault for not knowing tracking only worked in US).

The 1st time he actually made a new account for an Ebay coupon (later changed to his brother) which I called Ebay to confirm an existing user can create a new account to use a coupon was actually a thing over a 10minute call. The Ebay rep said this was 100% normal and sell to the buyer. (not sure if the rep was allowed to say that last part).

I did try to confirm with an Ebay rep but still learned my lesson, be more careful with buyers especially (ebay reps, USPS, Paypal).

Thanks for the help.

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

@chrismag59 wrote:

There was a little more to the scenario. I orginally had 5 seperate listings and he wanted them all so I gave 10% deal + priority was $90+ and that lead to 2 first class packages being cheaper (my fault for not knowing tracking only worked in US). 

It depends on the country involved. Countries participating in the eDELCON program do share tracking and delivery info with the USPS, at least officially, although it can be spotty in some countries. First Class International packages are tracked by their Customs barcode. Plug in that number at the USPS website and you might or might not be able to see its continued travel after it leaves the country.

All that aside, you should definitely go with the preceding advice, which is that when an international buyer is interested in a high-priced purchase (combined or otherwise), they should not get to haggle the Shipping method down to something that will not show Delivery Confirmation, and lead you into an Item Not Received dispute that you will then lose.

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

Don't ship internationally until you have at least 10 DSRs and know what DSRs mean.

Not even here to Canada. (We're nice people mostly, but shipping is always hard to learn.)

And keep deleting those messages. You don't need to reply to them. Ever.

I agree with retrose about not listing high value items.

Use Signature Confirmation on everything.  For a buck fifty it is good "I have my eye on you" insurance.

When you do start selling internationally, use the Global Shipping Program. It is good Seller Protection for high value items, since you are only responsible for delivering to the GSP plant in Kentucky.

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Use Signature Confirmation on everything.  For a buck fifty it is good "I have my eye on you" insurance.

Its not $1.50 - its $2.45 and it gets you nothing beyond what Delivery confirmation will give you for free unless your sale is over $750. Then you are required to have it for your seller coverage.

Below that its just a hassle for your buyer because they have to have someone home to sign for it or else they have to go to the post office to get it.

Message 15 of 27
latest reply