cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Buyers Changing?

The Christmas season is wrapping up and I'm looking at my seasonal sales data.  Now, I sell in a niche (hockey jerseys) but looking across platforms (Amazon, Fanatic, etc.) there are a few things that strike me.  My pricepoint on most items is below what is the best price for the same item on Amazon and Fanatics, but my sell through doesn't reflect that. They sell multiples more of the same jersey at higher prices.  This leads me to believe that shoppers have either lost confidence in Ebay for one reason or another, something about the Ebay platform is turning off casual shoppers, or something else is going on.  I sell jerseys to newbies (less than 20 feedbacks) at low price points (less than $50 including shipping) and I get lowball offers from flipper wannabees.  Items that have great value, but are priced in the $50-$150 range and retail in the $139-$300 are slow sellers.  A decent jersey is going to last decades longer than a cheap replica, but they just don't generate volume like the cheapest jerseys do.  Average transaction price sucks.  Where did the shopper that understands quality go?  What's going on?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Ebay Buyers Changing?

I think of Ebay as a used item store kinda thing. The new items are normally fake, store returns, used but listed as nwot, etc. Many of the sellers here are stay at home mom and pops selling from their basements. Buyers do not want to take a chance on having to return their purchases. Especially from someone selling jerseys that could be fake. I would guess that is why items sell for more elsewhere.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Ebay Buyers Changing?

Best start kissing a whole lot of culo.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Ebay Buyers Changing?

@tahoe-sports wrote:

The Christmas season is wrapping up and I'm looking at my seasonal sales data.  Now, I sell in a niche (hockey jerseys) but looking across platforms (Amazon, Fanatic, etc.) there are a few things that strike me.  My pricepoint on most items is below what is the best price for the same item on Amazon and Fanatics, but my sell through doesn't reflect that. They sell multiples more of the same jersey at higher prices.  This leads me to believe that shoppers have either lost confidence in Ebay for one reason or another, something about the Ebay platform is turning off casual shoppers, or something else is going on.  I sell jerseys to newbies (less than 20 feedbacks) at low price points (less than $50 including shipping) and I get lowball offers from flipper wannabees.  Items that have great value, but are priced in the $50-$150 range and retail in the $139-$300 are slow sellers.  A decent jersey is going to last decades longer than a cheap replica, but they just don't generate volume like the cheapest jerseys do.  Average transaction price sucks.  Where did the shopper that understands quality go?  What's going on?

Hi! Well I have some general thoughts on this in our society.

One thing that is changed is the constant need for instant gratification. (Want it here, want it now!) Fashion and style is ever changing and we are mesmerized by the new. To supply that newness, there is a rise in cheap duds and other goods that fall apart quickly, then get replaced by a new piece of low-quality stuff. When the newness wears off, to get that constant parade of new items and not break the bank, lower price points are more attractive. Supply and demand.

We are a throw-away culture. As a wealthy nation, the trend is movement away from quality goods that last a lifetime to "Its broken, don't repair. Toss it and replace instead." Stuff is not being made to last-- and it's good for business, they'll sell more. There's even a term for it: planned obsolescence.

There is also a trend towards convenience. We  seek to maximize output while minimizing input. As consumers we are getting lazy, and no longer hold industries and manufacturers to high standards. We have a "drive-thru" mentality. In addition, there is an overall decline in customer service. We expect lower standards to be the norm, and often demand no better. 

But if your question is where are eBay's high standard shoppers, I have less to offer. Because so far, haven't drawn many conclusions from the current eBay climate. What i can say is that i never have problems with the customers willing to buy at my higher price points. As you say, it may take longer to sell those items, but i can wait for them. (Not every seller can, I know, but this isn't my main source of income.)

Customers looking for quality are still here, it may be harder for them to wade through the glut of cheap products flooding the marketplace from Asia. To help them find my items, I follow eBay's best practices. Strong titles, detailed Item Specifics, appropriate selection of categories, clear descriptions, and good photos. My listings are mobilized for smartphone viewing and have SEO. My terms of sale are buyer-friendly. This is my strategy for selling and for the most part works to my benefit. (Knock on wood.)

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Ebay Buyers Changing?

There's even a term for it: planned obsolescence.

Ahh, planned obsolescence.  Years ago, things were made better and thus lasted longer.  Maybe too long for the manufacturers.  Case in point~years ago, bubble lights lasted YEARS.  I had a set last for 15-16 years, no issues.  Now you are lucky to get bubble lights to last one Christmas season.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Ebay Buyers Changing?

Hmm.  Don't they know shoddy when they see it?  I've collected hockey jerseys for decades and every generation they get more expensive and poorer quality.  Old CCM jerseys were better than the Reeboks and the Reeboks are better than the Fanatics and Adidas.  The new replica jerseys would disintegrate if you tried to play hockey in them.  I'd be scared to put them in the wash on anything more than delicate.

But you can buy a quality hockey jersey, often made for the team and sold by the team for a few dollars more.  An Anaheim Ducks Reebok replica on sale is $40 and retails for $139.  You can get a professional hockey jersey, a Reebok Edge 3.0 practice jersey starting at that price and it's miles ahead in quality.  It's made to get hit by adult men with sticks, pucks, elbows, etc. and survive.  Typically, a professional player would only need three of these jerseys for an entire season.  It's also very soft.  A Reebok Edge jersey, aside from those made in Indonesia and sold in big stores as authentic, are much more durable than a replica jersey.  You can buy team issued jerseys for $100 and an Edge 2.0 is as close to chain mail as you can make.  Why would anyone choose a disposable jersey?

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Ebay Buyers Changing?

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

There's even a term for it: planned obsolescence.

Ahh, planned obsolescence.  Years ago, things were made better and thus lasted longer.  Maybe too long for the manufacturers.  Case in point~years ago, bubble lights lasted YEARS.  I had a set last for 15-16 years, no issues.  Now you are lucky to get bubble lights to last one Christmas season.

I have  a Bunn coffeemaker that I have been using daily since 1985.

List more, sell more. Goodwill that other, uh, stuff.

Feeling sleepy? There's an app for that.
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Ebay Buyers Changing?

You've collected jerseys - as did my brother - just to wear as streetwear - now that he's 60 - those jerseys have all been donated years ago. I can walk into almost any store and find hockey jerseys or sporting t-shirts / sweatshirts. Years ago - you had to go to a exclusive sports store to purchase them.

Interest has waned. While a lot of people still play hockey - they have their own league and team jerseys to play in. I say this because I go down to the rink at the end of my street and watch the games for something to do. It's more exciting than watching hockey on TV. 

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Ebay Buyers Changing?

The average buyer has no idea how to navigate cassinni. It is wildly broken and near useless to try and find anything that ebay doesn't want you to buy.

Heck, I've been using ebay for 20+ years and I can barely use the search. Half the time I go to google.

Ebay has been cultivating a fire and forget buyer with zero repucussions over the last few years. It has moved a great many sellers into other arenas leaving behind an ever increasing percentage of bad sellers. 

As good buyers run into bad sellers more often, their confidence in ebay wanes. Now we have an ever increasing percentage of bad buyers.

What made ebay think poisoning the site would be good for long term growth is beyond me. Someone on the board seems to think things are running smoothly tho.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Ebay Buyers Changing?

I don't think interest has waned, it's just moved online. The brick and mortar sporting goods store is as dead as a dinosaur and the memoribilia shop is soon to be extinct. This is true of lots of retail niches. Just a sign of the times. The NHL keeps adding teams and the size of the media contract keep getting larger. The game is growing.

It's partly a league problem because of the licensing fees to the owners and players association are baked into the price of a new jersey which creates a market for used jerseys and counterfeit jerseys where the buyer doesn't pay those fees. Counterfeit jerseys exsist everywhere because you can't touch and feel an online jersey before you buy it. You're purchasing a picture backed by a promise of authenticity, a return policy, and the good reputation of the seller and the threat of legal action for mail fraud. Sadly, some of the counterfeit jerseys look better made than the authentic replicas. The league and the manufacturer try to make counterfeiting more difficult by not selling on ice jerseys. You can't commercial purchase a new Adidas on ice jersey except through a team store. But that means everything that is commercially sold is a replica of inferior quality. The Edge 1.0 to 3.0 jerseys may be the last chance at an on ice jersey and when they're gone, they're gone.

I'm not aware of hockey jerseys as streetware other than rap culture and that was back in the 90s. Full grown out-of-shape men look odd wearing sporting goods of any league. Kids look great!

Message 10 of 10
latest reply