When i switch the words around Body Burberry I get 1100 results

THIS IS MESSED UP!

In fact I would say it's BROKEN. . .

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

EBAY ~ Why is this like this?

Two other things I have recently been posting about:

1. The search often defaults to a specific category. So I can start a search for all of Ebay and it will return a specific category only. Then if I change back to all and hit search it shows me all. So Ebay is defaulting to only showing me about half of the items that are available for my search criteria.

2. When using the app on my iPad it returns a bunch of results. However if I page to the next 200 items it all of a sudden tells me there are only 200 items available and still shows me the first page.

The search has been "improved" to the point it is no longer trustworthy. I don't understand why Ebay thinks buyers want to see fewer results rather than all the results? For a long time this only seemed to happen when you used Best Match but it seems recently they have "improved" all the searches to work badly.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Maybe instead of calling this function SEARCH, it should be called FEEDING.

We may be trying to search, but we're actually being fed!!! 

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Yet if I search for a: Red Truck I get 238,638 results

If I search for: Truck Red I get the same 238,638 results

Why is this search the same and the one for Burberry Body different?

EBAY is BROKEN. . .Please fix it. . .

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Aside from the obvious shortcomings of the search in general Ebay is forgetting a very important consideration. I am a powerbuyer. I buy thousands of dollars in things a month for resale. If they only show me half the products I only buy half what I would have otherwise bought.

So while dumbing down the search for impatient one-off mobile buyers, they are seriously annoying those of us who have been major buyers on Ebay for decades.

They need to have two kinds of search. One for impatient one-off buyers who need spoon feeding and one for the rest of us.

I have enough inventory on hand to keep my business going for a long time. I buy here because I enjoy the hunt and can afford to sit on a large inventory (it's also good for my business). However the "enjoy" part is going rapidly down the tubes.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

VW I don't know why it's doing that. For what it's worth I got the same results. I also reset the category to all from women's fragrances and picked even more results.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Try this search

john varvatos pants

Then  john varvatos (pants,slacks,trousers)

You would think the second search would bring up all pants plus slacks and trousers. Not in ebay's jacked up world.  They decided to hide 64 listings from the second search.  Worse than that, the search for just pants defaults into the 'pants' category instead of all categories like the other.  Change it to all categories and the number of hidden listings jump to 165 items. Leaving 165 sellers coming to this board wondering why their sales are dead.

Change.....As the wind blows
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

I totally agree that search has been jacked up for a quite a while. Like having eBay default to a specific catagory when you want "all". But when did eBay add the "view all items" button to the bottom of an initial search? I didn't notice that thing for quite a while and was shocked to see that by checking it it may change your results by 500%!

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Didn't the guy who implemented Cassini... leave?  Seems I remember he got this thing going and then split.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

R'amen brother. 

It's strange reading a thread with nobody kissing feebay's a**.

So i'll say it...

Cassini is the best of all possable search engines.

It's what makes ebay so great.  /s

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

just-a-stockboy-to-them wrote:

It's strange reading a thread with nobody kissing feebay's a**.

We seem to beat the drums for the parts/things we like about eBay, and scream/castigate the parts we don't.  And hardly anything works that way for all of us at the same time, so we have the threads screaming that sales "fell off a cliff" in January, and another who's here saying "sales were GREAT in January, but now... they've fallen off a cliff"

And I think plenty of folks like Cassini search just fine.  I preferred the one we had before.  I am NOT a power buyer, as mentioned above, so I'm still usually shown enough that I'm quite satisfied with what I get *fed*...  I do strongly suspect, though, that HAD I been allowed to see all that was available for me to choose from, my purchase may well have been a different item from a different seller.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply