cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EBAY NOW A PART OF THE CANCEL CULTURE- JUST REMOVED BLACK AMERICANA VALENTINES DAY CARD LISTING

Just got a message from Ebay this morning saying they have removed one of my listings for offensive material.  Part of their updated policies for  "Offensive Materials" policy.  They removed a vintage Black Americana Valentines Day Card.  I guess I am just getting sick of these knee jerk reactions in our society.  New episodes of cartoons with  Yosemite Sam  won't  have guns anymore.  Elmer Fudd no longer has a rifle (how the hell are you supposed to hunt a rabbit without a gun?) Ha Ha.  Historical statues being torn down.  I get that there are some serious racial issues with our policing but do we really need to destroy our history?

Message 1 of 126
latest reply
125 REPLIES 125

Re: EBAY NOW A PART OF THE CANCEL CULTURE- JUST REMOVED BLACK AMERICANA VALENTINES DAY CARD LISTING

You and I know hatred exists. There are many others that know it just as well as the both of us. I will not defend any society, group or otherwise that has demonstrated and targeted anything but hatred and wrongdoing to any culture or gender. You are an intelligent person and I am sure you could already tell that I am not one to just shoot from the hip. Enough people sadly already do that. It's just that we cannot combat hate with hate. If I was paid every time I was called names by other races, I could have a nice bit of money. On the reverse of that, if I could get paid every time i made a friend of another race, I could retire. Reverse racism does exist, I have been a target of that in my youth. But it was what it was, wrong or right. Have a scar from a boyfriend that was abusive and almost killed me. I have been raped by 2 men. Should I hate all men because of all that? All men are the same, is that what I should have thought? 1/2 my family was killed by Hitler, so I should hate all Germans, yes? Hate cannot be combated with hate. My grandfather taught me as such. I am blessed to have learned that from him. To be angry for a moment or upset about something is one thing. To react in hatred, that will do nothing except allow that whom did the evil to begin with win. And I love myself more than that. Sometimes, we have to have to be the bigger person, turn the other cheek, and let things play out as they will.

Life is nothing without peace within oneself. Life is not about proving a point and destroying those in our way, and carrying out vengeance through words or actions. Life is about making this world a better place upon leaving it, no matter how small that may be, than we did when we found it. Not through anger, hatred, destruction and violence, but with silence, and patience. With listening, with thought, and most of all, with compassion, and most of all, with grace.

Peace to you always friend..

Message 31 of 126
latest reply

Re: EBAY NOW A PART OF THE CANCEL CULTURE- JUST REMOVED BLACK AMERICANA VALENTINES DAY CARD LISTING

Sometimes things are just not a conspiracy.

It is likely the reference to the NRA being associated with this card that did the trick and got it removed.  While it is clearly on the back of the card, calling it out is likely what Ebay objects to.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 32 of 126
latest reply

@buytodayshipnextday wrote:

EBAY SHOULD BE MORE CONCERNED ABOUT THIS

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/06/15/ebay-employees-arrested-u-s-attorney-andrew-lelling-cyberstal...

So Ebay should concentrate on one thing at a time?  Why?  So just let everything else go and only deal with their current scandal going on.  Not sure any business could survive if they did that.  

Don't take me wrong.  The subject of that link is beyond horrible, inexcusable, reprehensible and so on.  The people involved in it should experience serious criminal repercussions.  

@buytodayshipnextday 

Message 34 of 126
latest reply

I think **bleep** The Police badges and shirts are offensive why don't they take those items down.

Message 35 of 126
latest reply

my point was  ebay has it's own issues & now they're now removing black americana folding like a vintage  greeting card of the same genre

what's next? why aren't native americans outraged? they're often depicted as savages in movies. are we to remove every western film, & any Indian image showing them n an unfair way?

no pun intended but you cannot WHITE WASH society nor its history. i'm italian.

i WANT every mob movie & photo that depicts italians as gangsters, mobsters, murderers REMOVED IMMEDIATELY. how ridiculous that would be.

we cannot erase our past. good or bad. it is what it is. we can only move forward & learn from it.

Message 36 of 126
latest reply

I have yet to see a law or policy passed to curtail, regulate or outlaw hatred that didn't merely cause more hatred.  It doesn't matter if it is within a small community, a large city or a nation and it doesn't matter if it concerns race or religion or gender.  It merely seems to placate the few while it just offends many.

So, when are they going to get rid of 'God Bless' and 'Jesus Saves'?  Those who don't believe in god or those who aren't Christians may find those words offensive.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 37 of 126
latest reply

@lazray wrote:

I think **bleep** The Police badges and shirts are offensive why don't they take those items down.

If you feel strongly about this, then notify Ebay.

Because a member or two notify Ebay something is offensive that does NOT inspire Ebay to change it's policy on the item.  

There are other cards for Black Americana actively posted on Ebay.  As I stated earlier the problem most likely came in when the seller noted the NRA in the title and description of the listing.  You may disagree, which is your right.  I was just sharing what I saw that may have caused it.  Because it isn't the item that is banned.  But likely the coupling of the item with the NRA that did.

Message 38 of 126
latest reply

@buytodayshipnextday wrote:

my point was  ebay has it's own issues & now they're now removing black americana folding like a vintage  greeting card of the same genre

what's next? why aren't native americans outraged? they're often depicted as savages in movies. are we to remove every western film, & any Indian image showing them n an unfair way?

no pun intended but you cannot WHITE WASH society nor its history. i'm italian.

i WANT every mob movie & photo that depicts italians as gangsters, mobsters, murderers REMOVED IMMEDIATELY. how ridiculous that would be.

we cannot erase our past. good or bad. it is what it is. we can only move forward & learn from it.

So because Ebay has their own serious issues going on right now they should just stop paying attention and managing the site so they can all just concentrate on the on the issue with the ex-employees that broke the law, a few laws??

And I think you also misunderstand.  I don't think this is about the "greeting card" itself as there are many of them on Ebay.  But the mention of the NRA in the title and the description of the item is likely what caused the OP's issue.  The card itself doesn't break any rules that I'm aware of.

Ebay already has rules on Native American artifacts and the such.  It has been in place of years.

This isn't a conspiracy.  They aren't "white washing" anything much less history.  The OP did not need to reference the NRA in the listing, that was a choice they made and likely the one that cause the issue.

Message 39 of 126
latest reply

My nephew's soccer league doesn't keep score because "we'll all winners".

They all get participation awards.

How nice. 

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 40 of 126
latest reply

Then let them be offended. This is either a selling forum or another modern day inquisition. Where does this end? 

Message 41 of 126
latest reply

Black Americana is allowed to be sold on eBay, for the record, with some specific restrictions.

It seems eBay is doing this on a mass scale and since they lack man power, they're using slash and burn tactics.

I'm sure there are some listings out there that are legit violates and understandably so, but as usual, they're using a chainsaw when they need a scalpel.

You'd think after they just got in trouble for sending people pig's blood they'd be a little more humble for awhile, but they've decided to mess with us sellers again.

I had a pair of knife holders taken down. The holders were, indeed, black Americana. One had a picture of a black woman and the other a black man. But they were totally ordinary. They were not Mammy's, golliwogs or other caricatures. They did not have exaggerated features. 

So the message I get from eBay with this move is that they're discriminating against black people because they're basically saying that a black married couple can't have knife holders with people that look like them in their home, but they could have ones with white people.

My friend had something removed that had NOTHING to do with black Americana. He called the Anchor Store line and they told him they would e-mail him back because they were so "overwhelmed". 

Gee, I wonder why?

eBay's motto: if it ain't broken -- break it and say we fixed it!

Message 42 of 126
latest reply

It just took ebay a little longer to get to them.  They are now both removed by Ebay.

Message 43 of 126
latest reply

@nocoolnamejane I've sold black Americana for over a decade. It's not my top category by far, but if I see an interesting piece I buy it. Know who the biggest collectors of it are? Other black people. Note I said OTHER black people. In all my years, I don't think I've ever sold a piece of black Americana to a white person offline. I don't know online, because I don't ask my buyer's race.

Message 44 of 126
latest reply

@fab_finds4u wrote:

Culture isn't being cancelled. Black Americana is extremely offensive to many Americans. But you have a right to sell your items, just not on eBay.  Don't be Jim.

History is what it is for good or bad.  To attempt to hide any of it runs the risk of it being forgotten and repeated.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 45 of 126
latest reply