cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EBAY MAILING SYSTEM CHOICES

LETTING EBAY BE THE DECISION MAKER ON A RECENT ISSUE (BUYER DID NOT RECEIVE $3.00 ITEM ($1.99 POSTAGE)  MAILED VIA USPS FIRST CLASS MAIL.  THE REFUND WAS NOT AN ISSUE BUT I WAITED UNTIL THE 7 DAY DEADLINE TO SEE IF THE ITEM WOULD ARRIVE IN THE NORTH EAST (WEATHER) AND IN THE MEAN TIME THE BUYER SUBMITTED NEGATIVE FEEDBACK BEFORE THE SETTLEMENT.  THE EBAY DECISION WAS A REFUND TO THE BUYER AND THE NEGATIVE REPORT STANDS.   EBAY NEVER ADDRESSED THE VALUE FOR THE ITEM LOST AND APPROVED THE NEGATIVE REPORT.  SINCE I DO NOT PARTICIPATE IN EBAY MAILING SYSTEM, THE WORD "TRACKING" DETERMINES A SETTLEMENT. THE US POST OFFICE ADVISED ANY ITEM CAN GET LOST REGARDLESS OF TRACKING, ETC.  TRACKING IS A MEANS OF FOLLOWING YOUR ITEM BUT DOES NOT PREVENT AN ITEM FROM GETTING LOST  - MAILER NOT RESPONSIBLE!  ABOUT 35% OF MY SALES HAVE TRACKING.  POSTCARDS, ETC FIRST CLASS MAIL. 

DO I REALLY HAVE ANY CHOICE (EBAY OR LOCAL POST OFFICE) FOR THE

FUTURE?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

If you ship without tracking, and the buyer files an Item Not Received case, you will always lose.  You will be responsible for refunding item cost + shipping.

Many sellers ship low cost items using first class mail, which has no tracking, knowing they will need to refund if the buyer claims non delivery.

The least expensive shipping for a first class PACKAGE up to 4 ounces will cost $2.66 to $3.09 (using ebay or Paypal to print your labels) depending on the buyer's zip code.  Paying at the retail counter will cost more.

So, your choice is to sell different items or create a listing with several items in the listing so you can charge Calculated Shipping so you can ship first class PACKAGE and get tracking.

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Your choice whether you want to ship with or without tracking.

Although you are correct, items can get lost even with tracking, you are responsible for that loss.  Buyers know that as well.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Unfortunately, your response to the buyer's feedback is not quite accurate.  Sellers are held responsible for getting the item to the buyer.  Without tracking you have no way of proving that the item arrived.  You took a chance and lost on this one.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

" THE US POST OFFICE ADVISED ANY ITEM CAN GET LOST REGARDLESS OF TRACKING, ETC. TRACKING IS A MEANS OF FOLLOWING YOUR ITEM BUT DOES NOT PREVENT AN ITEM FROM GETTING LOST - MAILER NOT RESPONSIBLE! ABOUT 35% OF MY SALES HAVE TRACKING. POSTCARDS, ETC FIRST CLASS MAIL. "

---------

eBay policy states the seller is responsible .. to ensure..

that the buyer Receives the item(s) in as-described condition.

If anything at all, prohibits the buyer from getting their item,

then the seller is responsible for a full refund under the Money Back Guarantee here.

fwiw,

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Ebay doesn't "approve" the negative FB.  Buyer's can leave whatever FB they desire.  If you feel it breaches one of the rules of FB, then you can report it to Ebay and they will decide if it will be removed.  In your case, the FB is not breaching any FB rule, so Ebay was correct that they would not be removing it for cause.

Ebay has always said sellers are responsible if a package does not arrive to the customer.  We are also responsible if it arrives damaged.  These are not new portions of the policies.  It has been like this for a very long time.

I do understand that on a low $$ item such as this one.  It is just not cost effective to ship with tracking.  But as a seller you then need to accept that claims like this will happen.

And it is for you to decide if it is worth putting off the refund until the last moment on a low $$ item.  Does that typically pay off for you or is it worth the risk of getting the FB you got this time.  Your decision on which is more important as it is your business.  Chances are if you had just refunded the buyer you would not have received the negative FB. 

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 6 of 6
latest reply