cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EBAY IS GREEDY.. I'M DONE

I used to overcharge on shipping just enough that it wasn't egregious and I would make the total amount for each item I sold, and had enough to cover the actual cost of shipping.... well now that ebay has phased out paypal they are also literally TAKING every penny of the shipping cost... AND then still invoicing me the additional amount they take at the end of every month.  I'm DONE...

I'm literally selling MY stuff to make Ebay money! Coming out of my own pocket to ship items at this point and losing money on every thing I sell so they can make more than they already are making.  **bleep**

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Sounds like you have a flawed business plan.  There are several millions of other sellers that seem to be doing quite well, thank you.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Oh yeah? So what did you do recently???? Begin charging 30% more just for shipping on EVERY sale to not lose money on each sale?

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

Again a user that had no idea of what it was costing them on eBay and PP: Until manged payments came along....

Oh them low priced items you sold with shipping: not making much ( if any) on them before, as it is now....

So now you can see it all and you realize the total cost of it.....

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

What do you mean by "I used to overcharge on shipping...?"  You should have been charging enough to cover all costs related to shipping and handling to cover them.  If you were calculating those costs accurately there is no such thing as overcharging for shipping.  What does eBay no longer using PayPal and going to managed payments have to do with it?  It sounds like you haven't been keeping up with the rising costs of shipping and adjusting your S&H accordingly. 

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 5 of 18
latest reply

EBay and PayPal were charging a combined 12.9% fee on any shipping that you charged the the buyer. The fee on shipping is now 12.55%, a decrease in what you were paying.

"Those who enter the arena unarmed or unprepared are quickly dispatched."
Message 6 of 18
latest reply

That is a spurious answer, I track every sale and I'm telling you they are helping themselves to the entirety of the shipping cost... where as before I had marked shipping up enough to pay for shipping AND ebays fees. If I don't go and mark up every single item I have for sale... or raise the shipping cost MORE to pay off Ebay... I am losing money to sell here now that they have gotten rid of paypal... FACT!

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Obviously, you're not pricing your stuff and your S&H high enough to make a profit or break even if you are losing money as you say.  This indicates that as has been mentioned you have a flawed business plan.  However, based on your response to my first response, (Which I found to be somewhat insulting, by the way.) I assume that you don't care to receive any more of my thoughts on the matter.  Have a nice life.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 8 of 18
latest reply

@surfpunk77 wrote:

That is a spurious answer, I track every sale and I'm telling you they are helping themselves to the entirety of the shipping cost... where as before I had marked shipping up enough to pay for shipping AND ebays fees. If I don't go and mark up every single item I have for sale... or raise the shipping cost MORE to pay off Ebay... I am losing money to sell here now that they have gotten rid of paypal... FACT!

Don't tell me - you didn't factor in paypal fees, did you?

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 9 of 18
latest reply

@surfpunk77 wrote:

That is a spurious answer, I track every sale and I'm telling you they are helping themselves to the entirety of the shipping cost... where as before I had marked shipping up enough to pay for shipping AND ebays fees.

But did you mark it up enough to also cover PAYPAL'S fees, which are now rolled into eBay's fees because they took over the payment processing?

Fees are virtually the same. However, shipping costs have gone up. Have you adjusted for that?

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

Never once have I had eBay charge me more than the actual cost of shipping. In fact, I always end up getting charged considerably LESS due to the shipping discount we get when we buy labels through eBay.

So, clearly, something is off with your math here. Are you using the calculated shipping option? Because as long as you enter in the weight and dimensions correctly, that will give you the correct shipping total.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

@surfpunk77 

My fees are pretty much the same with eBay/MP as they were with eBay?PP.

I checked many sales when I switched over, and the difference was minimal.

PP has raised their %age for processing funds, so I doubt the MP fees are much different than non-MP

Before MP, eBay took a 10% fee on what the buyer paid for shipping, but PP was taking 2.9% (PP now3,49) of that fee as well.

Now eBay/MP is taking 12.55% on what the buyer paid for shipping, but I am paying PP nothing.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

@surfpunk77 wrote:

I used to overcharge on shipping just enough that it wasn't egregious and I would make the total amount for each item I sold, and had enough to cover the actual cost of shipping.... well now that ebay has phased out paypal they are also literally TAKING every penny of the shipping cost... AND then still invoicing me the additional amount they take at the end of every month.  I'm DONE...

I'm literally selling MY stuff to make Ebay money! Coming out of my own pocket to ship items at this point and losing money on every thing I sell so they can make more than they already are making.  **bleep**

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT???

There is obviously something you don't understand. 

I sell something and charge the customer $7 S&H.

Ebay takes their 12% of that shipping charge  (or 85 cents) leaving $6.15.

The actual postage for the item was $3.85.

Leaves $2.30 cent "extra" to help cover fees and expenses.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 13 of 18
latest reply

@surfpunk77 wrote:

Hi, the problem is that the words that you're saying don't seem to be coinciding with the experiences of others. You're upset about something and don't seem to like the responses you're getting, but it's difficult to help without more specific amounts/information.

Are you just here to vent or did you want someone to try to help you figure out why you believe you're getting overcharged by eBay?

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

@surfpunk77 wrote:

they are helping themselves to the entirety of the shipping cost

You recently sold a UK Subs album for $20, and the shipping cost to me shows USPS media mail at $4.45. 

Media Mail labels currently cost $3.19 (1 lb), $3.82 (2 lb), or $4.45 (3 lb). 

LPs in a record mailer with two stiffeners generally weigh in at somewhere between 15 and 20 ounces, which puts them at the 1 or 2 pound rate. 

Are you saying that when you buy a 1 or 2 pound media mail label, eBay is charging you $4.45? I mail  records and books all the time, and this has never happened to me. 

Message 15 of 18
latest reply