cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-Bays Shipping Now Make USPS Regulations

I ship kites and I offer free shipping via USPS First Class Mail (Parcel) which is allowed by USPS. The regulations for USPS First Class Parcels are it must be rectangle shaped and can not exceed 108 inches in girth. But e-bays new shipping page doesn't allow shipping on these items via USPS First Class mail. In essence USPS, Pay Pal, Stamps allow shipping via USPS First Class mail and e-bay does not. Whenever I have an order, e-bay's shipping page comes up Parcel Select with the only other options being USPS Priority.

I have a shipment to make - the kite package measures  43 inches long X 5 inches wide X 2 inches deep. The total shipping calculation would be 43" + 2 X 5 (10") + 2 X 2 (4") or  57 inches - far under the maximum 108" USPS allows. The weight is 11 oz. - again within the weight allowed for USPS First Class Mail parcel.

I called e-bay and of course was connected with an accent speaking rep who then connected me with another supposedly accented speaking  member of the shipping dept. with a first name of Matt. Matt stated there was no problem Since the item I WAS SHIPPING WAS NOT ALLOWED TO BE SHIPPED VIA USPS FIRST CLASS MAIL AND COULD ONLY BE SHIPPED USPS PARCEL SELECT. It took me approximately 3 minutes to Google USPS First Class Mail regulations and double check parcel dimensions allowed but evidently e-bays programmers can't afford the time and have now making USPS regulations allowed on e-bay.

I wish Triton or some other individual would take Matt aside and give him and couple of whacks on the side of his head and instruct him to read the online easy to find regulations,  show him the door and then hire someone who can read English and make the e-bay shipping page perform to seller's needs.

Now I will be spending hours trying to get e-bay to recognize they have a problem.

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

I don't see how ebay could establish the rules and regulations for USPS, but maybe it's a programming oversight of the shipping method you prefer.
Message 2 of 30
latest reply

Ebay doesn't handle many USPS things correctly (like regional priority boxes).

Use a different shipping service (paypal/pirate something/usps website).

Message 3 of 30
latest reply

E-bay's shipping programmer states the shipping of my item is NOT ALLOWED via USPS First Class mail when USPS regulations clearly allow. Is that not e-bay making USPS regulations as far as e-bay is concerned. And I was told there is no glitch.

What I encountered was more e-bay programmers DID NOT consult USPS regulations before developing the new shipping page. My suspicion is they went solely by DIM weight regulations and in doing so eliminated a USPS First Class mail option for certain items.

I NEVER had a problem on the old shipping page.

@beez5720 wrote:
I don't see how ebay could establish the rules and regulations for USPS, but maybe it's a programming oversight of the shipping method you prefer.

Message 4 of 30
latest reply

I feel for you, we spend much to much time here trying to work and dodge every obstacle thrown our way with woefully pitiful errors in code and site design especially with the horrible new shipping label page. I can't print a label for a 7 oz 1st class package to Puerto Rico and I am just going to cancel the order. this is getting ridiculous. last week I had no option to use a PADDED FLAT RATE ENVELOPE which would have saved me 2 bucks in shipping. Here is My SUGGESTION for you, I ran into a similar problem trying to print a shipping tube label on Etsy a few weeks ago and it was not the first time. I just fudge the stupid dimensions to what it will except and then print the label knowing full well it is WELL WITHIN USPS REGULATIONS. I have never had a problem on that silly site doing this and I have done it 3 different times.

Message 5 of 30
latest reply

Problems with Regional Priority are widely known. The class of service, First Class, is the most common widely used class of USPS services used on e-bay. Never was there a problem on the old shipping page. Only with the new shipping page was the problem encountered.

The frustration comes from some a**hole at e-bay telling me that the item was NOT ALLOWED TO BE SHIPPED USPS FIRST CLASS MAIL PARCEL. If e-bay doesn't even recognize they have a problem it is a huge dis-service to e-bay sellers and buyers since it eliminates a certain class of allowable service. In essence a BAD SELLING AND BUYING experience - a first time seller will be forced to ship via a more expensive and slower class of service and if the buyer recognizes the overcharge: a disgruntled e-bay customer.

How can a supposedly self promoted  web site claim to be a tech company when customers can not even get them to realize they have a tech problem? Maybe e-bay should rebrand itself as "Blowing Smoke.com"

I now am forced to use Pay Pal to ship which equates to ship which increases the time involved. Log on to e-bay then log on to Pay Pal then back to e-bay to print a copy of the invoice for my records. And one of these days Pay Pal will fall be the wayside with e-bays new payment system which equates to going to Stamps.

@rpalma wrote:

@rpalma wrote:

Message 6 of 30
latest reply

Just as I suspected - e-bay new shipping has more problems. Have you contacted e-bay about your problem? Were the results the same - e-bay staing there wasn't a problem.

I wish someone would forward to Triton. The new shipping page should be taken down and revert to the old shipping page. And someone high within the e-bay management needs to start putting some people out of the street so they can achieve their real potential - flipping buggers rather then programming.

For now I can use Pay Pal provided the glitch I encountered there stays fixed - that took 6 hours on the phone through six different reps.

@ekmadonna wrote:

I feel for you, we spend much to much time here trying to work and dodge every obstacle thrown our way with woefully pitiful errors in code and site design especially with the horrible new shipping label page. I can't print a label for a 7 oz 1st class package to Puerto Rico and I am just going to cancel the order. this is getting ridiculous. last week I had no option to use a PADDED FLAT RATE ENVELOPE which would have saved me 2 bucks in shipping. Here is My SUGGESTION for you, I ran into a similar problem trying to print a shipping tube label on Etsy a few weeks ago and it was not the first time. I just fudge the stupid dimensions to what it will except and then print the label knowing full well it is WELL WITHIN USPS REGULATIONS. I have never had a problem on that silly site doing this and I have done it 3 different times.

Message 7 of 30
latest reply

Or maybe you just didn't select the correct options for shipping?
Message 8 of 30
latest reply

USPS First Class regulations state the item can be shipped via First Class postage, The listing has First Class mail as the shipping service along with Priority as an option for individuals who want the item faster. All my listing have the same shipping format and have been checked three times for being correct in the USPS shipping First Class. In fact my first thoughts were e-bay changed the shipping option in the listing either through a glitch or it happened on a update, The new e-bay shipping page clearly states "xxx paid 0 dollars for USPS First Class shipping." With free shipping that would be expected. There was one listing where it was calculated shipping via USPS First Class shipping and same result only Parcel Select or Priority labels could be selected for shipping on the shipping page.

Now I have been a seller for 9 years on e-bay and know my way around selling. What upsets me as it should be for you - a potential bad buying experience for a buyer. If a buyer pays for e-bay stated USPS First Class mail with delivery within 1-3 Business Days and a new time seller then is forced into shipping via a slower higher priced shipping service, think of the potential outcomes. For one a new time seller might ask the buyer for more money to ship or simply cancel the order. In either case the outcome is a BAD BUYING EXPERIENCE.

@beez5720 wrote:
Or maybe you just didn't select the correct options for shipping?

Message 9 of 30
latest reply

@thingsoldandnew10 

You may want to look into getting a Stamps.com free account for ebay sellers. Stamps.com correctly offered a 1st class pkg. choice for your kite.

https://www.stamps.com/shipping/ebay-plan-features/

The click boxes on that page lead to a paid plan sign up, so you might want to call them and find out how to make sure that you get the free version for ebay sellers.

Orders can be directly imported into the Stamps software for shipping with one or two clicks.

You don't have to use it for everything, just things that ebay's page can't handle properly. Same would apply for the Regional Priority boxes.

Pirate Ship (free) did NOT offer a 1st class pkg. option for your package.

I use a paid 3rd party shipping program, and it correctly offered a 1st class pkg. option.

Déjà Moo: The strange feeling that I've heard this bull before...
Message 10 of 30
latest reply

@thingsoldandnew10 

Forgot to add...you will have to buy postage in bulk and keep a balance in the Stamps.com account. I think the minimum purchase is $10 at a time.

I use my Paypal debit Mastercard, so I get a percentage kickback every month on purchased postage. 1.5% is better than nothing, and helps cover the fees on shipping, for sure. 

Déjà Moo: The strange feeling that I've heard this bull before...
Message 11 of 30
latest reply

tyler@ebay.com

@triton@ebay.com

Can either of you help with this problem? There is another post where with the new shipping page will not allow a 7 oz FC shipment to PR.

@thingsoldandnew10 wrote:

I ship kites and I offer free shipping via USPS First Class Mail (Parcel) which is allowed by USPS. The regulations for USPS First Class Parcels are it must be rectangle shaped and can not exceed 108 inches in girth. But e-bays new shipping page doesn't allow shipping on these items via USPS First Class mail. In essence USPS, Pay Pal, Stamps allow shipping via USPS First Class mail and e-bay does not. Whenever I have an order, e-bay's shipping page comes up Parcel Select with the only other options being USPS Priority.

I have a shipment to make - the kite package measures  43 inches long X 5 inches wide X 2 inches deep. The total shipping calculation would be 43" + 2 X 5 (10") + 2 X 2 (4") or  57 inches - far under the maximum 108" USPS allows. The weight is 11 oz. - again within the weight allowed for USPS First Class Mail parcel.

I called e-bay and of course was connected with an accent speaking rep who then connected me with another supposedly accented speaking  member of the shipping dept. with a first name of Matt. Matt stated there was no problem Since the item I WAS SHIPPING WAS NOT ALLOWED TO BE SHIPPED VIA USPS FIRST CLASS MAIL AND COULD ONLY BE SHIPPED USPS PARCEL SELECT. It took me approximately 3 minutes to Google USPS First Class Mail regulations and double check parcel dimensions allowed but evidently e-bays programmers can't afford the time and have now making USPS regulations allowed on e-bay.

I wish Triton or some other individual would take Matt aside and give him and couple of whacks on the side of his head and instruct him to read the online easy to find regulations,  show him the door and then hire someone who can read English and make the e-bay shipping page perform to seller's needs.

Now I will be spending hours trying to get e-bay to recognize they have a problem.

Message 12 of 30
latest reply

OP,  as long as you are under 108" what difference do the dimensions you input in the eBay rate estimator make? Just input smaller dimensions knowing the under 108" shipment is costed by weight only. 

Message 13 of 30
latest reply

Stamps was contacted and there is a different link given to me by the Stamps rep for signing up to the FREE e-bay shipping program.

E-bay should take a lesson from stamps and hire some representatives that treat their potential customers and as they are - a paying source of income for them. Working for a automotive company for 26 years, we would benchmark a competitor who we considered better in a aspect of business in an effort to make our company better. Stamps representatives clearly are in a class of their own in giving customer service. But then e-bay needs to recognize the meaning of the word "customer." But with Artificial Intelligence it appears to mean everything except the true definition at least with e-bay. And I just received a reply to a problem on Pay Pal which took 6 hours on the phone to get corrected - a glitch where I could not enter requested and required information.

Could you forward my problem to tyler and triton. I attempted to do so but appears I was unsuccessful.

Message 14 of 30
latest reply

I reported this awhile ago. Ebay reps contacted me and asked for specifics -which we sent. But I don't think they did anything about it.

We even went to the post office and asked the manager about it. They said no problem, the packages qualify 1st class.

Message 15 of 30
latest reply