cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-Bay Fees Rip Off

Just sold an item for $ 625 and my final charges were $90. this looked very high to me. looked at the fee breakdown and it was 12.55%. calculated the fees manually and it was supposed to be less. 

I had to call the to get explanation, and they told me that the  the buyer  paid some $700+ which the item price + shipping + tax and that is the amount used to calculate the fee. how ridiculous is that.

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

E-Bay Fees Rip Off

Another seller that is clueless as to fees.

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

E-Bay Fees Rip Off

Drmad73,

Just curious what did you think the fee was going to be?

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

E-Bay Fees Rip Off

You knew the fees when you listed, so it shouldn't be a surprise. You DID read the fee chart before you listed, right? Or did you just jump in head first?

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/frais-pour-les-vendeurs-particuliers?id=4822

"We charge one final value fee when your item sells, and you don't have to worry about third-party payment processing fees. This fee is calculated as a percentage of the total amount of the sale, plus $0.30 per order.

The total amount of the sale includes the item price, any handling charges, the shipping service the buyer selects, sales tax, and any other applicable fees. If you offer 1-day or international shipping as well as a cheaper or free option (like domestic shipping), the total amount of the sale is calculated based on the cheapest domestic option you offer. If you only offer 1-day or international shipping but no cheaper option like domestic shipping, the total amount of the sale is calculated based on the service the buyer chooses.

If you're in China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Israel, Japan, Macau, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, or Vietnam and your item isn't located in the US, the total amount of the sale is always calculated based on the shipping option your buyer chooses."

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 4 of 23
latest reply

E-Bay Fees Rip Off

If you think fees are high now they were higher when eBay use PayPal to process payments for sellers.

Example if you sold the following.

$500.00 Item price

$40.00 Sales tax

$25.00 Shipping

$565.00 Total price paid by buyer 

$560.00 x 12.55% = $70.28 plus .30 swipe fee for $70.58 paid to eBay.

ebay with PayPal 

$560.00 x 10% = $56.00 paid to eBay 

$560.0 x 2.90% plus .30 swipe fee to PayPal = $16.54

Total fees paid $72.54

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

E-Bay Fees Rip Off

Of all the things you should understand here is how fees are calculated and what they  are.  They TELL YOU WHAT THE FEES WERE.  it's really not that hard.

Do you know any Excel?  Start keeping track of what you sell, and what it costs you.  It will make you so much happier in the long run and today is DAY 1!

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 6 of 23
latest reply

E-Bay Fees Rip Off

@drmad73 wrote:

I had to call the to get explanation, and they told me that the  the buyer  paid some $700+ which the item price + shipping + tax and that is the amount used to calculate the fee. how ridiculous is that.

How ridiculous is it that you had to call eBay to discover what is published right on the fee schedule? 

Final value fees

We charge one final value fee when your item sells, and you don't have to worry about third-party payment processing fees. This fee is calculated as a percentage of the total amount of the sale, plus $0.30 per order.

The total amount of the sale includes the item price, any handling charges, the shipping service the buyer selects, sales tax, and any other applicable fees.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/frais-pour-les-vendeurs-particuliers?id=4822

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

E-Bay Fees Rip Off

The fees seem correct. Most auction houses I have used charge me 20%. On a $700 sale that would be $140. Trust me I have my beefs with eBay but the fees you have described appear to be as advertised.

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

E-Bay Fees Rip Off

If you were taking your items to sell on consignment and your item(s) sold store owner would take  on average 40% - 60% just to display your items in their store and they would set the price.

Even if store is in a high traffic location you would not reach the number of buyers you do by posting on eBay

So, 12.55 % fee not so bad in comparison.

If you can find lower fee option on another selling site, I would encourage you to take it.

Good luck to you

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

E-Bay Fees Rip Off

OP, maybe you should pay attention and be extra careful when you sign up to some program without reading the details on its cost.  More so when the information is readily available. eBay is certainly not a "NOT FOR PROFIT" organization, they are in the business to make money, just like we are. 

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

E-Bay Fees Rip Off

You sold two items today at $625 each.   Hopefully you have two to ship.

Your previous sale was in Nov 2021.   The same fee structure was applied to that sale.

Good luck.

This is my posting user ID.
I have different user IDs for selling, buying and posting.
NOTE: Responders are eBay users like you that volunteer to help other users. We are not compensated by eBay.
Message 11 of 23
latest reply

E-Bay Fees Rip Off

Good catch. 

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

E-Bay Fees Rip Off

More importantly, did you account for the income taxes you might pay on your sales in 2022?  You have already crossed the threshold for receiving a 1099K at the end of this year by selling two $625 Samsung items.  The fees are what they are and can be written off as expenses.

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

E-Bay Fees Rip Off

and many sellers pay more than 2.9%

PP raise the %age to 3.49% for some, and the $0.30 per transaction fee also increased

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

E-Bay Fees Rip Off

More big news! Do you know that soon, if you sell more than $600 on eBay they will send you a 1099?

Message 15 of 23
latest reply