cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropped package off and the tracking still says “Shipping label created, USPS awaiting item”

I sold an old guitar on 12/11, print the label, got the right box, and dropped it off the same day. I dropped it off at my local ups which I always used for eBay for years with no problems. The clerk told me to take a picture of the package to track item. But for a week it still says Shipping label created. It is now 12/16/20. Now it says “High shipping volumes are causing delays. Please allow extra time.” I called eBay customer service and they said the same thing. Me and the Buyer was talking about the situation and we are now both confused. Is this normal for the holiday season? Is my package lost?

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Dropped package off and the tracking still says “Shipping label created, USPS awaiting item”

I have the same thing happening. I dropped off a Priority Mail package on Dec. 8 and still no scan. I'm hoping that the package is scanned somewhere and delivered, otherwise I'm out over $100.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Re: Dropped package off and the tracking still says “Shipping label created, USPS awaiting item”

Scans, tracking updates and all to do with USPS are way behind.  If you drop off a package at your PO I would get a receipt showing the item has been scanned. Then at least you know it is in the system. This did not used to be so necessary but it is now. 

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

I always go to the counter and have them scan my packages and get a receipt, no matter how long the line is. If you just drop them off you never know when they will be scanned. I learned that the hard way when a package I dropped off in the bin never got a scan until delivery over 2 weeks later. I got dinged for not shipping in my stated handling time (it was shipped the same day as purchased) and for a late delivery. Now that I have the USPS scan everything I haven't gotten any dings even though they are so far behind right now.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

I do think this is normal for this time of year, and this year especially since carriers were behind early in the season. 

I wonder if "take a picture of the item" is the best way to track something though... shouldn't they of given you a tracking number and a receipt for your package?

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

In all my years, i never heard of a USPS clerk advising a user to photograph the package as opposed to giving you an acceptance receipt. Without that receipt, you cannot prove you dropped the package off. Why didn't they scan your package right then?

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Fashunu4eeuh - That works great if you have 5-10 pacakges.

If you have an actual shipment that they pick up or you are dealing with 300 packages, asking them to hand scan each one is a bit more challenging/impossible.

The fractional costs of fully "lost" really don't pan out on time spent standing there where they scan 300. Lost is different than permanently lost, I've certainly had packages mishandled, I've gotten a check on one they found 6 months after the fact.  Plus except for this holiday season most of them hit the scanner pretty quick.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

never just drop off!

get item scanned and a printed receipt. I don't care how much you may be in a rush to get to work or in line at overpriced coffee place.  You adjust your schedule!

Actually you are not allowed to take any type of photo in the post office. The employee is putting their employment at risk!

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Right now the USPS is struggling to do their job. I have sent out several packages all shapes and sizes. Scans seem to be whenever someone feels like it. Best yet I sent a package out tracking shows label created and the next scan is delivered.  Watching your sold items not "move" , will stress you out, I'm sending out 20-30 items a week and at this point I try my hardest to not to use USPS. With the amount of volume they have its sure to be slowed down until sometime after the new year. Hopefully your customers will understand its not our fault (sellers) and will be patient. Good luck and try not to let it worry you too much.usps.jpg

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

You are allowed to take photos at the post office.  Employees might not, but you are.  That is a “we the people” building - photography is allowed.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

This has happened to me also.  Unfortunately, EBay has removed my Top Seller Status due to an error by the post office.  Dropped several items off over a week ago and tracking shows that the post offfice is still waiting for the package.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

This has been an unusual year and is not the norm. Your package will probably eventually show up but if it does not since you simply dropped the package there is little the post office can do to assist since you have nothing to show you ever dropped the package off and USPS took possession of it. This leaves you without a leg to stand on if the package is really lost, or stolen. You cannot even open a missing mail request or an insurance claim since there is no proof the USPS was ever in possession of the item. 

If you are checking the status make sure you use the USPS tracking and not the eBay link. The interface is broken and I have had at least one package that showed delivered in the USPS system while eBay was still showing USPS waiting for item. 

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Several of our POs have had the ISP down and / or broken scanners.  Even though the packages were shipped (reassured the buyers) several just show label created.  I am going to wait until they are all delivered and then call eBay and try to get the defects corrected.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

I'm in the same boat as your buyer.  I have 3 packages that had labels created, but all seem to be waiting to be dropped off.  I did see this on twitter, and it's not good news (maybe take a screenshot and send to you buyer): Post Office Delays.png 

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

USPS is not scanning many packages in effort to get them through transit faster...it's not working and is causing major issues for sellers/buyers on ebay and beyond... they did the same thing last year also, package could go all the way to destination post office before it takes a scan as "out for delivery" 

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 15 of 16
latest reply