cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dontcha Just Hate It When...

You see that little orange bell lit up in the upper-right-hand corner of your screen...

And it turns out all it is is a reminder about something on your Watch List?    unamused

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

I wish eBay would send me a more timely message about items on my Watch List.

I keep missing my chance to bid.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Describe it as if there are no pictures.
Take pictures as if there is no description.
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Hah! I just posted a very, very similar thread. I'm with ya @livadia.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

@daveroo wrote:

@daveroo Try setting an alert on your phone 15 min before the watched item ends. Or use a bidding proxy. Or bid your highest upfront and hope you win.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

@livadia wrote:

You see that little orange bell lit up in the upper-right-hand corner of your screen...

And it turns out all it is is a reminder about something on your Watch List?    unamused

Hi livadia, my bell is gray.  How did you get yours to be orange?  

What I don't like is that red envelope (next to the red bell) alerting me that I have an unread message but I don't.  I read it already and can seem to get rid of it.  

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Hey Liv - did you ever see that episode of Will and Grace where Grace & Jack wanted to go to Antiques Roadshow just so they could make fun of peoples' over-exaggerated facial expressions? First they think the appraiser will tell them their item is worth tons of $$, then they find out it's worth nothing? That's what it's like when you see the alert and it ends up not being a sale.

willgrace.gif

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@rainbowcolorz wrote:

@livadia wrote:

What I don't like is that red envelope (next to the red bell) alerting me that I have an unread message but I don't.  I read it already and can seem to get rid of it.  

@rainbowcolorz You might be confusing the eBay alerts with the Community alerts. They both have bells. When you get a notification in Community (like you will because I tagged you on this post) the bell will turn red. 

The eBay alert is a smaller bell on top of the page (which you may not see from Community depending on whether you are zoomed in on view or not but you can see it on the top right if you go to eBay.com) and it turns orange when there's an alert for a sale, watched item ending, new message, etc. Though it's fairly unreliable.

If the mail notification on Community is red, open the mail page then near the top right you'll see a blue button that says "new message" and next to that you'll see "options" - go to the options and select "mark all as read".

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@copper.boom wrote:

@rainbowcolorz wrote:

@livadia wrote:

@rainbowcolorz You might be confusing the eBay alerts with the Community alerts. They both have bells. When you get a notification in Community (like you will because I tagged you on this post) the bell will turn red. 

The eBay alert is a smaller bell on top of the page (which you may not see from Community depending on whether you are zoomed in on view or not but you can see it on the top right if you go to eBay.com) and it turns orange when there's an alert for a sale, watched item ending, new message, etc. Though it's fairly unreliable.

If the mail notification on Community is red, open the mail page then near the top right you'll see a blue button that says "new message" and next to that you'll see "options" - go to the options and select "mark all as read".

Ohhhhhhhh, OK.  Thank you very much!!!

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

livadia wrote:

I always seem to have so many things on my watch lists that the bell is usually orange many times a day.  But I do have my email up all day long too, so immediately glance over to see whether I have two notifications of new emails...  which usually is the sale and the payment.  But sometimes it's a couple of 'Junk Mail' messages, so yeah.. that's disappointing.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Nope.

Friendly reminder to dust off the "Hey.  Saw this item on ebay and noticed it didn't sell.  Would you be interested........................"

Well, you just have to speculate at the rest.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

mistwomandancing wrote: 

I always seem to have so many things on my watch lists that the bell is usually orange many times a day.  But I do have my email up all day long too, so immediately glance over to see whether I have two notifications of new emails...  which usually is the sale and the payment.  But sometimes it's a couple of 'Junk Mail' messages, so yeah.. that's disappointing.  Smiley Very Happy

That's just what I said! Liv and I created similar threads at the same time:

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Any-one-else-New-e-mail-count-of-2/m-p/27026449#M970776

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@copper.boom wrote:

Hey Liv - did you ever see that episode of Will and Grace where Grace & Jack wanted to go to Antiques Roadshow just so they could make fun of peoples' over-exaggerated facial expressions? First they think the appraiser will tell them their item is worth tons of $$, then they find out it's worth nothing? That's what it's like when you see the alert and it ends up not being a sale.

willgrace.gif

LOL @copper.boom.  Yep, that's it all right!

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@copper.boom wrote:

@daveroo wrote:

@daveroo Try setting an alert on your phone 15 min before the watched item ends. Or use a bidding proxy. Or bid your highest upfront and hope you win.

Phone!?

I don't have one of those type of phones.

I'm strictly a desktop computer type.

I'll look around and see if I can find a similar option.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Describe it as if there are no pictures.
Take pictures as if there is no description.
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@daveroo I assume you're on a PC... google "desktop-reminder".

Message 14 of 14
latest reply