cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Donations to charity

Why wont ebay allow you to donate less then 10% to charity in most listing catagories. 10% is a lot in a lot of cases when items dont have a large profit margin. If someone donated 1 or 2% it wouldnt be such a impact on them and would promote more people to invest in the program. 1% of somthing is better then 100% of nothing.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Donations to charity

You could always call ebay CS and ask 'why'.

This is merely a seller to seller board - mainly - and not often privy to the whys and wherefores of ebay's reasonings.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Not sure if just my opinion would hold much water but maybe a consensus on this post might make them think about it. Majority rules i guess lol

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@jaad_6732 wrote:

Not sure if just my opinion would hold much water but maybe a consensus on this post might make them think about it. Majority rules i guess lol

In ebay's opinion, no, your opinion is not worth nearly as much as the buyer's.

Quite frankly, though, neither the sellers nor the buyers, put together, have as much say as the real 'majority', which is the ebay upper echelon.  I think only 'the street' might be able to gainsay them - maybe.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Give 10% or give nothing

Donation to charity may influence some buyers to purchase from a particular seller & not purchase from a seller who doesn't donate.

EBay obviously believes 10% to be a reasonable charitable donation to promote or boost your sales.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@ed8108 wrote:

EBay obviously believes 10% to be a reasonable charitable donation to promote or boost your sales.

Very possible the 10% minimum is based on cost-effectiveness.  It easily would cost both the charity and eBay/PayPal *more* in overhead costs to process say a one dollar gift as compared to a $10 one.   That's the reason why, for example, many charities have a minimum gift required if you're going to use a credit card or want to make a contribution in installments.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

But the difference in funds brought in would be compared to the price of the item sold. Seems like if that was the case there would have to be a minimum price of the item sold to add charity donation. A $1 dollar item would be 10 cents and a ten dollar item would be 1.00 and so on. You would think ebay would just add it up in there pocket and give large lump sums at once to the charity rather then tiny increments.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

I can understand your point.  On some items, 10% might represent the amount of profit made on the sale.  We like to donate to charity, but do so on our own terms away from the eBay platform.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply