cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does this potential buyer deserve a reply?

Item price: $9 (offers not accepted)

Shipping: $6

The buyer sends me a message that simply says "$10 shipped?"

It's bad enough the buyer sends me such a low offer but to not even use a complete sentence.

How dare him!

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 1 of 45
latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

I don't often reply to messages like that, but if I feel it necessary, I use this template:

"Thank you for your offer! At this point our price is firm." 

Then if they push, I don't respond, or if they get nasty of course on the block list they go (that doesn't usually happen though).

Message 2 of 45
latest reply

I had buyer who messaged me something similar. Said he is will to pay no more than $10 shipped for an audiobook. At the time I charged shipping.
I messaged back saying:

Thank you for your interest in the audiobook.
Sorry, but I'm not accepting offers at this time, shipping is not negotiable. 

Message 3 of 45
latest reply

I have stopped answering buyers who make offers on items which are not Make An Offer unless they are already my customer.

If I find the offer insulting like the example you have, they are blocked.

There are desperate sellers who rely on these offers and I am not one of them. They are not worth any of my time, I prefer to waste it in ways I choose, like posting on this forum.

Message 4 of 45
latest reply

@inhawaii 

I've gotten short messages like that too ... I don't mind explaining that shipping is not included in any eBay offer flow, their decision not mine.  If they are really interested they will ask what you best price is, then you can tell them.

$ 9 item

Shipping separate

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 5 of 45
latest reply

I don't use Best Offer...EVER

I don't reply to unsolicited offers......(almost) EVER

Of the few offers I do receive almost all of them are very brief just like the one you posted, the rest usually have some long and complex justification about why their offer is reasonable.

When I'm in a good mood and if the message is pleasant enough I may reply with the comment that generous shipping discounts are available for multiple item purchases.

Most of the discount requests I get are specifically asking for discounts on multi-item purchases, for those I do reply with details of the combined shipping discounts available. The response to those are almost always positive and result in a sale.

Message 6 of 45
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@inhawaii 

If they are really interested they will ask what you best price is, then you can tell them.

That is a way to send me through the ceiling.

It comes under the category of negotiating against yourself. It is frequently followed by another low offer.

About the only think worse is being asked would you take - $$$$, and then having the buyer say I'll think about it.

Way back when I had an executive job, I did flea markets and the antique market at Brimfield.

Met a lot of great people, and a lot of low life characters who got their kicks from treating the dealers like crap.

Took me a while to teach my wife not to enter into these games with potential customers, but she learned. Never cost us a penny. They would try to chisel us down on items which later sold for our price or very close to our price.

I go to a flea market on the first Wednesday of most months in the winter. I have known many of the dealers for decades. We do not haggle. I ask for a price and accept it or pass. Usually, I accept it because everyone knows I do not haggle. And because they need the money more than I do.

Message 7 of 45
latest reply

@inhawaii 

If the buyers are too lazy or ignorant or impolite to actually write a complete sentence, why not just send them an emoji?

Such as 😠.

Perhaps they'll get the message.

Message 8 of 45
latest reply

When I get an offer like that, I always point out how much the shipping is and why I cannot accept such a low offer.  I offer free shipping and get low-ball offers that are less than the shipping!

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 9 of 45
latest reply

@inhawaii 

Was the offer for one of the Possum in a Peanut toys?

If so, make a counter offer for 10 or more and turn some coin.  You got this.

Posting ID
Message 10 of 45
latest reply

My response : "Thanks for your interest. I am not soliciting offers at this time."

Message 11 of 45
latest reply

I find it funny when along with the low ball offer they often say - I have 100% feedback and will pay straight away.

Message 12 of 45
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

Item price: $9 (offers not accepted)

Shipping: $6

The buyer sends me a message that simply says "$10 shipped?"

It's bad enough the buyer sends me such a low offer but to not even use a complete sentence.

How dare him!

I always reply, but take opportunities like this to spin the things they CAN do already to save money.

My reply would probably be similar to: "Thank you for your interest.  The item price is $9, and the lowest shipping price is $6, for a total of $15+ any applicable sales tax for your state.   If you are looking to save money, bundling multiple items together is a great way to save big.  Just add any desired items to your shopping cart using the Add to Cart button.  You'll be able to see the shipping discount automatically applied before you commit to purchase."

Message 13 of 45
latest reply

Is this still available?

Message 14 of 45
latest reply

I prefer a simple “ no thank you”

Message 15 of 45
latest reply