cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does eBay enforce harassment from someone maliciously multi-accounting?

There is a buyer who avoids my BBL by making multiple purchases in succession under new usernames, and has been doing so for almost a month now. They use a different username each time but the same name and shipping address and there have already been over 200 suspected instances. I’ve reported all instances to eBay citing their abusive buyer policy and policy on multi-accounting with the intent to bypass BBL, and they claim to be looking into it but they’re still coming everyday to drain my inventory (22 so far today alone). 

Does eBay actually enforce their policies or am I fighting a futile fight reporting these?

Message 1 of 41
latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

Hi @butterscotches 

It is against eBay policy for members to try and circumvent a Block by creating or using different Account IDs.  You should try speaking with eBay's Trust and Security Department, confirm it is the same Member and it is quite possible that person will be banned indefinitely for their abuse of the system. 

Do you have another Selling account?  I see 72 sales on this ID in the last 90 days ... one sale dated for today April 4th.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 2 of 41
latest reply

"New username"...could be a guest...every time they make a purchase it is a new user name. But has same address. I think you might have "jumped the gun too soon". And reporting as such to eBay.

And I would play it cool...until there is a problem with an item sold there's nothing to do.

And I wouldn't email any buyers unless they email you first.

Some buyers are so strange. I have some who buy one item at a time with buying 10 items and paying them separately. I hate that but I don't want to upset any "repeat buyers". "Repeat buyers" are my best buyers.

Good luck.

Message 3 of 41
latest reply

Thank you. How would I get in contact with that team specifically? I’ve been connecting with chat support and filing reports for each.

That 72 must not include cancelled purchases as I cancelled at least 82 from them yesterday (which were over the span of about 2 weeks). Note: The eBay reps confirmed my ability to cancel those orders citing suspicion of policy violation.

Message 4 of 41
latest reply

What if it is a guest?

Message 5 of 41
latest reply

Is this buyer paying for the items?

Or just buying with no intention on paying? 
Why did you initially block the buyer?

Message 6 of 41
latest reply

Well I guess that’s another aspect of my question for clarification: Does it matter why they’re on the BBL?

I don’t just randomly add people, however I also don’t see verbiage that qualifies when you can add someone to the BBL.

The verbiage on the help page is “eBay sellers have control over who can bid on and buy their items. You can block individual buyers or set buyer requirements based on specific criteria.

If you’ve had an issue with a buyer and don’t want them to purchase or bid on your items, you can add them to your Blocked buyers list. They'll be unable to place bids or buy from you until you remove them from the list.” Am I missing some verbiage?

Message 7 of 41
latest reply

Thanks. I hadn’t really considered that there’s probably nothing eBay can do if they’re approaching it this way and their policy isn’t enforceable. 

Message 8 of 41
latest reply

You can add anyone to your blocked bidder list.  You can add my ID to your list simply because you don't like my name or my answer.

The problem is getting eBay to do anything to a buyer (or non-buyer) you haven't said that they are paying  or not.  They don't seem to move quickly against buyers and it is made even harder because the person keeps using different accounts.

You might need to use Immediate payment required until the issue is resolved.

Message 9 of 41
latest reply

@butterscotches wrote:

Thank you. How would I get in contact with that team specifically? I’ve been connecting with chat support and filing reports for each.

That 72 must not include cancelled purchases as I cancelled at least 82 from them yesterday (which were over the span of about 2 weeks). Note: The eBay reps confirmed my ability to cancel those orders citing suspicion of policy violation.

IS there actually a way to cancel citing that?

I have never seen that option ever.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 10 of 41
latest reply

@12345jamesstamps wrote:

What if it is a guest?

@12345jamesstamps 

Guest purchases would still register on the Selling account ... OP mentioned 22 instances today alone ... can't imagine someone Buying 22 items on separate Guest buying logins ... BUT, truth is stranger than fiction.

It's one of the reasons I asked about another Selling ID too.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 11 of 41
latest reply

The OP has a variation listing that shows 24 items sold in the last 24 hours.

The op hasn't stated if they are paying or not.   Either way, it is cause for concern to have someone making multiple purchases like that.  It sounds like someone trying to mess with this seller's listings.

Message 12 of 41
latest reply

To clarify: it was via chat that I received the approval/alignment to cancel them citing suspicious activity. Whether or not the reps were correct there, I have it documented in the SR transcripts.

Message 13 of 41
latest reply

Why do you think the buyer is doing that?  Why are they on your BBL list?

Message 14 of 41
latest reply

My buyers are not guests and some do buy 22+  separately as I get charged .30 cents per payment. So for me, it's not unusual....it's a pain.

Message 15 of 41
latest reply