cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone else get bouts of intense unhappiness or depression selling on eBay?

Very honest question:  Does anyone else feel intense negative feelings to the point that it affects their general existence using eBay?  

When I wake up and open up my account, it's almost a daily cringe of, "What do I have do deal with today?"  After 10 years, I find I can't accept it as a side-effect much longer.  It has a large effect on my quality of life.  

Today, I woke up to find someone who bought two items worth $500 open two returns claiming they, "Found a better price" and they, "Feel [I] overpaid for [this] item".   Mind you, I sell vintage guitar parts that are almost always unique.  The two parts this guy bought are one-of-a-kind for various reasons.  Ergo, it's not like buying an iPhone. In 10 years, I've never had someone with the gall to pull this stunt.  And eBay won't let me do anything other than message or accept the returns - without the restocking fee that I apply to my listings for buyer's remorse.   Meaning, since he's Canadian, I'll lose about $70-$75 in shipping over this.  This has become such a regular occurrence (three dispute abuses, four if you count two from this guy, in two weeks) that the costs of dealing with it are becoming significant.  What seems to me is this guy is trying to get partial refunds.  

I have shrunk my business down nearly 40% since February because I am out of energy to deal with it anymore - yet the issues come in even more draining ways.   I have seen and recognized the response is to get myself out - but I'm trying to do it in a way that is beneficial to me financially and turns one chapter of life out into another efficiently.  Seems even my course of action isn't good enough - as once again, I am feeling the blues. 

Message 1 of 90
latest reply
89 REPLIES 89

Re: Does anyone else get bouts of intense unhappiness or depression selling on eBay?

Yes!  Used to be when you sold a "woo hoo" you would be doing the happy dance.  Now I hold my breath and hope they don't return.  I too should be listing like mad during what used to be the busiest selling time of year on Ebay but I just can't find the motivation to do it.

Message 16 of 90
latest reply

Re: Does anyone else get bouts of intense unhappiness or depression selling on eBay?

EXACTLY...I'm 100%/5-Star across the board...BUT...I've gotten trepidatious about listing.
Given my history, that's an irrational stance. Or is it?
ebay has grown beyond it's control...with that growth AND the mis-use of MBG comes an increase in scammers.
It's like walking a minefield...and you-know-who planted the mines.
Message 17 of 90
latest reply

unhappiness or depression no but anxiety yes especially when I get a message on eBay I automatically think it's a problem or  complaint.

Message 18 of 90
latest reply

Have you ever tried having your own store on the internet? I am not trying to be sarcastic. A lot of people with specialized product are doing pretty good controlling their own destiny.

Message 19 of 90
latest reply

Well, I sold a high priced item and get the "I have a question about using my item" in my email. The dark cloud goes overhead. Fortunatly it was a thanks, I received the items. 

Even when everything is going good it is walking on needles. 

Prov 20:14 It is naught, it is naught, saith the buyer: but when he is gone his way, then he boasteth.
Message 20 of 90
latest reply

@rolenboy01 wrote:

unhappiness or depression no but anxiety yes especially when I get a message on eBay I automatically think it's a problem or  complaint.

I do a second Christmas job because I close my store December 1st and do not reopen until after New Years.  Just not worth the aggravation of clueless last minute husbands who buy the last second and expect me to teleport it there only to have his wife return it after the holidays.

Or constantly clicking on tracking to make sure everything got there on time, only to see it has not moved in days.

And I have downgraded the rest of the year as well.  This board has woken me up to the fact that even though I have 19 years here, I am only one scammer away from a disaster, and there is very little I can do about it.

Message 21 of 90
latest reply

The choir grows daily...pretty soon they might even hear us AND respond.
Message 22 of 90
latest reply

I feel badly for you. Books are not a  high-problem area so I do not have the cringe factor. 

I do get annoyed by changes on Ebay (but Amazon is MUCH worse). Mostly though I periodically am gribbed by severe ennui. I've been doing this so long, sometimes I feel like I can't stand to look at another book.  Usually this means I need to take a little break. Maybe go dig in the garden for a while.

Message 23 of 90
latest reply

I doubt it.

Message 24 of 90
latest reply

Been getting a lot of reduced price demands myself recently. Even got an empty box return that was refunded by PayPal and it took almost a year to get my money back even with a letter from the USPS Postmaster who opened the return with me. All returns I place holds on at the post office and they confirm the contents of package. My non-payments are also becoming a weekly thing with last 10 second bidders. Then you have the $2.00 item with $10.00 shipping demand returns where seller pays shipping or give them the item free and refund everything. There are issues with selling on eBay that become stressful but I continue to sell things I don't really want anyway. This month I'm trying to sell some 1939 and 40's sterling silver flatware sets and keep getting offers for less then the melt down weight value on silver. The buyers with offers have "0" feedbacks and that is a red flag. Got them from an estate auction and purchased everything in the bedroom for one dollar? No one looked under the bed where this silverware stuff was stored. Waisted my time listing it on eBay with only a couple views and lowball offers. Will use the "Buy it Now"  will never sell on eBay section for the high value sets and make spoon rings with the rest. Hard to sell flatware when the culture has become paper plates.  

Message 25 of 90
latest reply

michael_atw wrote:

Very honest question:  Does anyone else feel intense negative feelings to the point that it affects their general existence using eBay?  

When I wake up and open up my account, it's almost a daily cringe of, "What do I have do deal with today?"  After 10 years, I find I can't accept it as a side-effect much longer.  It has a large effect on my quality of life. 

It is hard to hear that you are this discouraged and mentally hurting in association with selling your product here.  Yeah, most everybody gets the blues occasionally even if rarely, but to have this weigh on your psyche to the extent you describe might be something that signals it's time for you to reassess this whole thing.

Not every individual is cut out to *take it* when these trouble-sales rear their ugly heads, and if you deal in a product that results in quite a few of these bad deals, it can really stress out many sellers, so you are certainly not alone there!  Some are able to separate it from their own inner health and don't let it bother *them* much.  They deal with it.  It's over.  They go on to the next thing, and it's past with no residual effects or stress.  But some sellers aren't built that way, and it isn't easy on them.

Also, some merchandise isn't as safe a fit HERE as it might be on another site, or your own site, or certainly out of your own B & M store.  We read often enough of the problems sellers run into, especially in certain categories.. well more so in certain categories, and little in others.

I can suggest little about your business except to tack on a few bucks extra to every price of every item, to make up for the few times when you have to take merchandise back and pay for the shipping to do so.   That little extra $ charge on everything, adds up to enough to cover your *loss* expenses, so this isn't coming out of YOUR pocket nor eating into your deserved profit.  That's the way Real Stores do it, because they know that being a merchant means you will have losses to deal with!

And this would allow you to relax about the expense factor of it, and just have to deal (sigh.....) once again with the hassle of it, and that's just a part of sales, online or in that brick and mortar store.

As to your mental stress level, I hope you might find someone to commiserate with besides us, here, to help you regain more of your sense of the fun of life, and the overall goodness of living it.  Perhaps a pastor or priest, a very good and dependable friend or relative, a counsler through your town services or local doctor or hospital or clinic, etc.  IF you think you are down low enough ever to find that help worthwhile.

I hope some of the good suggestions here will help you successfully fight the SNAD charge on these that admitted they found it for less elsewhere, etc.  Good luck with it.  That alone would be enough to make most of us feel real good.  Smiley Wink  Ebay has gone a bit overboard with aiding buyers in this type of situation, but we've read more recently that eBay is now going to try to help sellers with these types of actions, so hope they do in this situation! 

Message 26 of 90
latest reply

Yes. You have described some of my feelings. a kind of hopelessness. that no matter how hard I work to do things right, the system is gamed against me.

I don't want to feel this way.

but no one can deny that when someone buys something, and they get things flashed all over that they can get it cheaper (When the items compared are not even comparable) then it's a problem.

When problem buyers and complate scammers are growing faster than weeds and nothing is done about them, it's a problem

When sales are just so low because items can't be found in searches or are drowned out by Chinese junk sellers miscategorizing things and abusing duplicate listings to prevent other sellers' items from being seen, then the problem sales feel worse

Message 27 of 90
latest reply

"Does anyone else feel intense negative feelings to the point that it affects their general existence using eBay? "

Years ago--No--was having fun selling as well as buying

Now--Yes! -no longer sell and  buying is less due to all the constant un needed changes.

Never bought a extra item  of any kind from walmart because they think playing  regular hide and seek  locations with their products is a Super money making ideal

maybe i'm just to old school for all the constant changes-as i always thought if it is working-why mess with it.?  

Message 28 of 90
latest reply

4 days no sale! today I sit back ...people are watching competitors are watching , I put make me an offer none received, they watch only my price are not high, and I am not willing to give my stuff away for a penny.
so I sit and watch too , I cook I clean I am off today LOL my computer is on I read emails no sales OK I wait
Message 29 of 90
latest reply

Only here on the boards.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 30 of 90
latest reply