cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does a seller have to cancel if a buyer requests?

I'm pretty sure we're allowed to let the unpaid item strike hit the account instead of cancelling at buyer request, but just check double checking. 

Im having a buyer, who sells also, constantly harassing me to cancel per their purchase. I've been getting so many UPI buyers this month it's driving me crazy, so I've had it and want all these unpaid items to hit as a strike. 

The first 2 days she said she would pay me $1 to relist if I cancel. And now on the last day of the case she's saying I need to cal eBay and cancel! Telling me it's a simple thing do, etc. etc. point being she's harassing me to cancel. 

The case ends today! I can let it close, correct? Last thing I want to do is give in to someone who's sent me over 10+ messages after purchase to cancel. 

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: Does a seller have to cancel if a buyer requests?

I have had 2 recent requests to cancel.  I do it. I am out $0.30, and a bit oftime.

My problem is eBay showing the buyer that had they done a bit more research they could have saved  a $, or 2 by showing them other listings right after they pay.

The cancel request comes within minutes of the IPR, fixed price listing ending, so I have no doubt that is the reason.

I cancel. That refunds the buyer, and my FVF. I go directly to my BBL to add them.

Next to the last one sent a message to " not cancel, and just go ahead and send the item" at the same time I was cancelling. Too late !!!! Perhaps the other "deal" was not as much of a deal once they read a bit deeper.   Buyer has since messaged asking if the item is still available.

Message 16 of 37
latest reply

Nope. Not until 6 days after purchase or 4 days after case was opened.

Message 17 of 37
latest reply

Yes there's still an option to cancel.
Message 18 of 37
latest reply

wrote:

Be sure to save all the messaging. 

Yes, make sure you do that so when you waste a few hours dealing with it later you will have your weapons of choice. It would have been easier just to let the buyer get out of the sale and block later.

Message 19 of 37
latest reply

wrote:

wrote:

Be sure to save all the messaging. 

Yes, make sure you do that so when you waste a few hours dealing with it later you will have your weapons of choice. It would have been easier just to let the buyer get out of the sale and block later.

yes it would, but as OP has posted, the buyer made no request to cancel until well after the end of the listing.

Message 20 of 37
latest reply

wrote:
Yes there's still an option to cancel.

When did that change?   As long as I've known once a case is opened they option to cancel is gone.  The system won't let you and gives the reason a case was already opened.  Even if you close the unpaid item case it would give you that reason 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 21 of 37
latest reply

Oh wow, you're right. The cancel button is there. But then it says I can't because a case is open. Good call, thanks. Maybe that's why she asked me to call.

Just a had a purchase from a buyer with 0 feedback about 50-100 miles away from her location. Hope it's a coincidence.
Message 22 of 37
latest reply

My gran always used to say "No need to go looking for trouble. It'll find you soon enough"

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 23 of 37
latest reply

"Im having a buyer, who sells also, constantly harassing me to cancel per their purchase."

If you let this happen more than once and did not block , I have no sympathy for you .

Message 24 of 37
latest reply

Constantly as in this transaction. Not multiple. 

Message 25 of 37
latest reply

So what everyone needs to realize is the buyer didn't contact about canceling UNTIL the case was opened already.  The transaction CANNOT be cancelled now.  

If it's less than an hour until it closes that's good.  If you wanted to message her again you can. Explaining it can't be cancelled since an unpaid item case is already opened.  If she had contacted before the case was opened you could have cancelled.  Tell her if it's her first unpaid item that once the case closes to call eBay and usually they will remove he first strike. 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 26 of 37
latest reply

I might be a total jerk and tell the buyer "While I was on hold with ebay trying to cancel the transaction, the unpaid item case automatically closed. Im sorry"

But, Im sorta mean some times
Message 27 of 37
latest reply

Your buyer has a lot of gall suggesting that you should call eBay and cancel. No way I'd waste a second of my life on the phone with CS over this. She'd be enjoying her unpaid item strike-consequences be damned for both of us. I'm never calling eBay to try to get a transaction cancelled when a UPI is already opened--never!

Message 28 of 37
latest reply

Abe, I think you've opened yourself to negative feedback from the buyer.  She could easily write something like "requested cancel.  Seller refused to comply. Forced sale on me". Didn't cout out the letters so don't know if that would fit or not, but they could easily leave you fb like that.  I doubt CS would remove when they read the messages and see is just being truthful with her negative feedback.

I believe you have 100% on fb.  After she is done with you, you no longer will.

I, personally, would have just cancelled at their request and then add to my BBL.

Good Luck.  Hope for your sake she doesn't pay, as I don't think she can leave fb if the case closes out without payment -- I am not sure on that, but I think not.

Happy 2018! May this upcoming year be a prosperous one!
Message 29 of 37
latest reply

wrote:

Abe, I think you've opened yourself to negative feedback from the buyer.  She could easily write something like "requested cancel.  Seller refused to comply. Forced sale on me". Didn't cout out the letters so don't know if that would fit or not, but they could easily leave you fb like that.  I doubt CS would remove when they read the messages and see is just being truthful with her negative feedback.

I believe you have 100% on fb.  After she is done with you, you no longer will.

I, personally, would have just cancelled at their request and then add to my BBL.

Good Luck.  Hope for your sake she doesn't pay, as I don't think she can leave fb if the case closes out without payment -- I am not sure on that, but I think not.

There is a UPI case open for this item. The OP cannot cancel by normal means and would have to try to do it with a phone call. The buyer cannot leave feedback if she does not pay.

Message 30 of 37
latest reply