cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Ebay Offer Credit Card Chargeback Protection?

I have not had it happen to me, but my wife had in the past...

On my selling account, I usually don't list high dollar items, but I do at times...

Let's say someone buys an item for $500... or $1000... everything is good, delivered, etc. If in four months, the buyer decides to open a chargeback with their credit card company, does Ebay protect me as a seller? Tracking is there, showing delivery and all. 

Some time ago, my wife got hit with some PayPal chargebacks, and Ebay did nothing to protect her, so wonder if things have changed (this was before she went onto MP)

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Does Ebay Offer Credit Card Chargeback Protection?

There basically are no protection from chargebacks on eBay or anywhere else as far as know.

Read old posts for some sad stories. Don't sell what you can't lose, here or anywhere. Also, best that any bank account has ample funds for I think 6 months as if a CB happens the account may be overdrawn if not there.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Sellers still have very little protection.

If they file an INR and tracking shows it was delivered, you might be ok.

Other then that, if they do a charge back, you're pretty much on your own and will probably loose the payment and they won't have to return the item.

Have a great day
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

@jerseyboymusic wrote:

Let's say someone buys an item for $500... or $1000... everything is good, delivered, etc. If in four months, the buyer decides to open a chargeback with their credit card company, does Ebay protect me as a seller? Tracking is there, showing delivery and all. 

No, tracking and delivery do not insulate a seller from chargeback claims.

If my credit card was stolen and used by a criminal, it would not be acceptable to me that a successful delivery of the fraudulent purchase to the criminal prevented me from winning a claim. 

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@jerseyboymusic 

Yes. The case you described should be covered with seller protection. eBay should cover the costs and not charge you a fee. You may not be protected in this case based on the nature of the opened chargeback. Not recognized or not received chargebacks should be covered.

Some time ago, my wife got hit with some PayPal chargebacks, and Ebay did nothing to protect her, so wonder if things have changed (this was before she went onto MP)

The Devil is in the details. As with all things eBay, you need to know and follow all the rules for protections provided by eBay. 

Payment dispute seller protections | eBay

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

It depends on what reason the chargeback is for. If it is, "I didn't recognize the transaction", then eBay fully covers you from any liability. If it is "I didn't receive the item", then you have to provide tracking the confirms delivery to win the dispute. However, if the reason is "The item is not as described", then you will have to fight to have any chance of winning the dispute.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

I have an active situation similar, but yet confusing. 

On June 30th I receive this message from eBay in my eBay e-mail, so it is solid:

Your buyer filed a payment dispute for an order placed on May 29, 2023. This means that they disputed a charge directly with their payment institution. They are requesting $64.14 back and the reason for this dispute is that the buyer did not recognize the transaction.

The good news is that you’re protected for this dispute under eBay seller protection policy. We'll close this dispute once we receive the dispute outcome from the buyer’s payment institution. You're not required to take any action right now. If the buyer updates the dispute, we will let you know if any further action is required.

To look into this further, you can go to the payment dispute details page.

Tracking was automatically uploaded when I purchased the shipping label. Tracking shows item delivered on June 6th. Buyer profile, feedback, and Google Map location is all good. 

The message says I'm protected (see bold highlight). I have yet to receive an update on the situation. 

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Bottom line, never sell an item you can't afford to lose.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

As others stated it depends on the nature of the chargeback. The following policy covers the seller protection. 

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/payment-dispute-seller-protections?id=5293 

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@44012 wrote:

There basically are no protection from chargebacks on eBay or anywhere else as far as know.

Read old posts for some sad stories. Don't sell what you can't lose, here or anywhere. Also, best that any bank account has ample funds for I think 6 months as if a CB happens the account may be overdrawn if not there.

This is completely wrong, as numerous other posters have mentioned, you are protected from some credit card chargebacks and not for others.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/payment-dispute-seller-protections?id=5293

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@luckythewinner 

If my credit card was stolen and used by a criminal, it would not be acceptable to me that a successful delivery of the fraudulent purchase to the criminal prevented me from winning a claim. 

IF your 'stolen' Credit Cards showed a "Successful Delivery" to your Address of Record, not only on eBay, but, according to your Bank's info. & Public Records, it would be unacceptable to approve the 'Claim'.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

I have a new one: what if the buyer's chargeback claims "the seller agreed to return the item for full refund". (2) In previous message conversations, (2) I never agreed to this, (3) they had closed a previous return request because they admitted they had buyer's remorse and then (4) asked if I would fraudulently mark the product as damaged/defective (they previously confirmed the product worked) so I could file a claim with the shipper/distributor. Am I protected if they are requesting a return after knowingly closing a return request on eBay and trying to abuse the system? I would hope the financial institution wouldn't be so think as to ignore the something this stupid. I am dealing with a high school age punk buyer on their first credit card and I hope they lose so this destroys their credit rating.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply