cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do all carriers do this?

I've only been selling on this platform for a couple of months now. But something I've noticed recently is that USPS keeps on sending me emails saying that I underpaid for my packages. I always check my weight and measurements before sending and round up to prevent this, but somehow I always underpay. It's been happening more frequently within the past few weeks and I'm getting sick of it. I filed an appeal once or twice and never heard back from them. I've only been charged a couple of dollars every time. So I didn't consider it too much of a problem. But since they've been doing it more often now the dollars are adding up.

I'm considering maybe switching to Fedex or UPS in the hopes that I won't have to deal with this issue from either of them. Has anyone had this issue with Fedex or UPS? I get that mistakes are made sometimes and don't expect to ever run into this problem again. But with the rate it's been going at with USPS, I'm starting to feel like I am honestly being scammed...

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Do all carriers do this?

I would check your scale........package something up, weigh it and take it to PO and have them weigh it.....

I've mailed 1000's over 2 ids and only had a couple that I was charged for (or refunded for) as miscalculated.

Had no experience with UPS or Fedex, but I'm sure they do check the weights/dimensions and charge for any under payment........

Message 2 of 35
latest reply

Do all carriers do this?

I ship USPS exclusively and have not had such an issue. Your s&h looks cheap... why not raise the cost?

Message 3 of 35
latest reply

Do all carriers do this?

You need to be sure your scale is accurate. If it is digital it may need fresh batteries. I use both a digital scale and a scale that operates by weight of the item. 

Message 4 of 35
latest reply

Do all carriers do this?

Are you perhaps using Priority Flat rate shipping boxes and shipping at Priority rate? The two are not the same. To use Flat Rate Priority boxes, you need to be charging for that service. You can't use Flat Rate boxes and ship at Priority rate. Also, you cannot mark out any information on Flat Rate boxes to use for other service levels.  That could explain the extra you are being charged. 

The only flat rate boxes that I believe can be used for Priority rate postage, are the Regional Rate A & B boxes, those services have been discontinued. 

Message 5 of 35
latest reply

Do all carriers do this?

We've had this happen once in about 1000 sales. This shouldn't happen often.

Yes, confirm your scale by weighing a couple items (say, under a pound and 5 pounds) then bringing them to the Post Office for them to weigh, then compare.

Also, your set for inches, right?

And you're using the eBay labels, right?

Message 6 of 35
latest reply

Do all carriers do this?

If you check your receipt you receive from the clerk, at least the weight is noted on there.....

(you can use that to plead your case)

I always get that receipt because many items are VERY CLOSE to 15.99 ounces

the only dimension that would alter is the cubic size or over length....

I had one upcharge (UPS) this year, and produced the "weight in" receipt.....The charge was dismissed....

have never had a USPS upcharge

Message 7 of 35
latest reply

Do all carriers do this?

@sellmemoresellmemore wrote:

I always check my weight and measurements before sending and round up to prevent this, but somehow I always underpay.

That suggests that your problem is not inaccurate measurement but perhaps using the wrong box, as already suggested. If your USPS packaging reads "FLAT RATE" on it, you must pay the applicable charge for that box (or Flat Rate padded envelope or whatever); weight and dimensions are for non-Flat Rate packaging. The USPS website offers free Priority Mail shipping packages in both Flat Rate and non-Flat Rate forms. (Postage prices for the latter are priced by weight and area zone.)

The message from USPS should specify where you went wrong, though: if it's underpaid for its weight, the message will tell you what their weighing showed. Can you post the text of the message you received?

Message 8 of 35
latest reply

Do all carriers do this?

In addition to (1) wrong weight (possibly due to defective scale); (2) using Priority Mail boxes with Ground Advantage postage; and (3) using a Priority Mail flat rate box with a regular-rate label (or vice-versa), another possibility would be that (4) your shipping label preparation form has the wrong "Shipping from" ZIP Code on it.  

The "Shipping from" ZIP Code is not part of your return address; it's a separate entry on the label preparation form. It defaults to match the ZIP Code for your location, but it can be changed (for instance, if the seller is shipping from a different location) and sometimes the eBay gremlins will do it for you. So next time you're getting ready to purchase a label, double-check that "shipping from" ZIP Code.

Message 9 of 35
latest reply

Do all carriers do this?

Are you entering the weight and the dims of the package and selecting the 'calculated shipping' per location?

USPS also calculates shipping cost on package size. The other carriers have been doing this for years and USPS jumped on board. 

Message 10 of 35
latest reply

Do all carriers do this?

@sellmemoresellmemore ,

Also remember the USPS rounds up to the next ounce or pound even if you go .01 over.

For example:

8.01 ounces would be billed as 9 ounces

8.01 pounds would be billed as 9 pounds

Message 11 of 35
latest reply

Do all carriers do this?

USPS has tried many times to charge us for Priority postage when we shipped first class and did not use priority packaging.  When I appeal their charges I specifically tell them what kind of package was used i.e. yellow padded envelope or 6x6x5 brown box and the weight was under a pound.  We've always had the charges reversed.

UPS you really have to watch.  They have a bunch of  "additional charges" rules on packaging that will cost you $11.95 extra.  If your package is less than 1" in height and shipping in a tube will trigger that fee along with a list of others that are mostly dimension related.

UPS audits are incorrect most of the time.  We ship outboards occasionally and have had them add up to $75 in additional charges.  We take photos of the scale and the measurements of the box so we can use them in appeals which we've been refunded for every time.  They once said the box was longer than the sheet of plywood we started with and had cut down to build the crate.  Their auditors should be told what size a standard sheet of plywood is  😉 

UPS settled a lawsuit regarding their audits incorrectly adding weight and larger dimensions and overcharging customers.  Since they settled the case they can continue to follow this practice as it's a good profit center for them.  Most business don't check the bill for these charges and just pay them.

We've never had a problem with FedEx with any additional charges but have had issues with insurance claims.

I can also say that after you dispute every additional charge they stop sending through additional charges to your account.  I haven't seen any in over a year now.

Message 12 of 35
latest reply

Do all carriers do this?

USPS needs to be sure their scales are accurate, and often they are not. USPS system screws up with weights all the time. They once tried to tell me a 5 ounce video game somehow weighed 8lbs.

Message 13 of 35
latest reply

Do all carriers do this?

Think someone already said it, but don't ignore the fractions of an ounce because USPS won't.  And weigh the item with all packaging material, the box taped up and a sample label placed on top. Even for a small item, a box, label and paper can add as much as 8 ounces. That's why packing peanuts and those 'air pillows' made from thin plastic film exist, plenty of mass to fill voids in boxes, lighter than crumpled paper. They can save you from stepping over to the next tier. 

I HATED packing peanuts (and still do), but as I knew I would be selling some items again, I started keeping them. Just kept them in a couple trashbags in the garage attic. They have DEFINITELY saves me a few bucks.  Stopped bursting the 'pillows' I got in Amazon shipments too. I am only selling dozens, not hundreds of items, and only for a little while, so it works for me. 

But I have sold a little over 70 items total on eBay and not once had an issue. 

Message 14 of 35
latest reply

Do all carriers do this?

I have this happen once in a while.

Sometimes i'm under and owe.

Sometimes i'm over and they owe me.

I would bet it's your scale.

Just an odd quirk of mine but i don't use digital scales.

I've had too many of them go bad and give me wrong readings.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 15 of 35
latest reply