cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dishonest buyer

I'm fortunate that I don't get many dishonest buyers, but I had one recently  who filed 

a return for the item being defective. But in the same breath wanted to return it because it doesn't fit a vehicle, that the listing (which has extensive compatibility charts) shows as being NOT compatible. Additional they stated that it's in new, unused, perfect condition. Well, that doesn't constitute defective. 

I don't generally accept returns but sometimes with shops etc. I do, and then at least I'm not on the hook for the shipping etc. And frequently, those customers frequently purchase replacement parts if they purchased the wrong ones or buy again in the future.  But obviously these people are dishonest. They also send a me some pictures of a gearbox in varying stages of repair. No idea how that was related to their situation. 
Also the buyer was pretending to be just a poor customer, who was a victim of the shop who told them what parts to buy, when in fact it is the shop who's purchasing them. For gods sake, their username is the shop name, and the name of the location they had shipped to. When I asked for photos of the unused parts and who "they" is (who they were reffering to), the buyer made a thinly veiled threat that I should come '"pay them a visit" if I happen to in be area. 

In any case, based on whats in request, even the Ebay rep I spoke to admitted it was pretty obvious they lied, but I should just accept the return anyway. Huh?
What happened to the ability to contest a dishonest buyer? I have in the past won several cases against dishonest buyers, but it's been a while, and now there seems to be no way to contest a bad buyer. Basically Ebay told me, if I dont' accept it I'll be punished as a bad seller, for failing to "facilitate" as the rep kept saying. I had to ask him, what are you talking about? You mean accept the return? Even though they are lying? I am most likely going to recieve a box of used parts, if anything. My only options are accept the return, and then report the buyer, which I don't see a place to do that. And if I don't and they have to intervene, I'll be punished for failing to "resolve" the issue. That not a resolution, that pure blackmail! 

I called to ask how I could proceed to contest the dishonest buyer and was basically lectured to just take the return or else. Pffft! What the heck? When did this happen!  Well as I said, I'm fortunate not to get too many dishonest buyers, but when did EBay remove the ability of sellers to contest cases? I'm rather purturbed by this, I pay Ebay many thousand of $$ a year, I thought maybe once in a while, they'd have my back. Very dissappointed. That buyer should go pound salt. Lying blankity blank. Blocked for sure. 

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Dishonest buyer

Unfortunately it happens to all of us, it’s just the cost of doing business. Just accept the return and relist the item, eBay expects this of us as sellers. I have found it’s more of a headache and waste of

time to try to fight it. After you refund the buyer and close the return, reach out to eBay regarding the INAD. Normally if you do right by the buyer, they will review the transaction and remove the ding from your account. I hope this helps! 

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Dishonest buyer

BTW on closer inspection of their pictures, it shows NEW bearings installed
on a shaft (the one I sold parts for likely) and pretty sure they are photos of my parts installed in their gearbox.
I see they are getting feedback from dozen of parts suppliers in just the last few weeks and I would bet money they are doing the same thing to all of them. 
It is very doubtful I will get my "unused" parts back. 😒
I guess ebay is losing market share and sellers be damned.But Ebay motors is still the big dog for auto parts vs other online marketplaces. Many things sold their you can't purchase on places such as Amazon.  Been selling on Ebay since forever and consistantly since 2014. I rarely ask for their help, like once every couple of years. VERY disappointed.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply