cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did eBay stop collecting sales tax on purchases by buyers from most states?

Up until recently eBay was charging sales tax to my buyers from most states. Recently I haven't noticed eBay adding sales tax to anyone from any state. Was there a recent change in how eBay collects sales tax?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Did eBay stop collecting sales tax on purchases by buyers from most states?

To the best of my knowledge, that state sales tax is still being collected from buyers in about 43 states.

eBay cannot stop collecting it, just like WalMart cannot stop collecting it.

Were those recent sales from buyers in the few states that do not have a state sales tax?  

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

To the best of my knowledge, that state sales tax is still being collected from buyers in about 43 states.

eBay cannot stop collecting it, just like WalMart cannot stop collecting it.

Were those recent sales from buyers in the few states that do not have a state sales tax?  

Off the top of my head Ohio and California were a couple of recent sales where no tax was charged.  At least there was nothing showing for tax in the order details.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

@nomore_1940 

Spot checked a couple of orders - sales tax being collected.  

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

As a resident of Ohio who has made at least three recent purchases, I can attest to the fact that state sales tax is charged to at least some of us.  

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Every state has sales tax exemptions, such as resellers and some categories of goods such as clothing or groceries.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

Every state has sales tax exemptions, such as resellers and some categories of goods such as clothing or groceries.

I was wondering about that. Only thing is that I haven't had a sale since early March that shows anyone getting charged sales tax when I view order details. Before that, just about everyone was getting charged  the tax by eBay.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@nomore_1940 wrote:

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

I was wondering about that. Only thing is that I haven't had a sale since early March that shows anyone getting charged sales tax when I view order details. Before that, just about everyone was getting charged  the tax by eBay.

Since we can't see your sales, it would be difficult to comment further, except to suggest that you provide more info (e.g. categories you sell in, screen shots of transactions).

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@releasethekraken_1 wrote:

@nomore_1940 wrote:

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

Since we can't see your sales, it would be difficult to comment further, except to suggest that you provide more info (e.g. categories you sell in, screen shots of transactions).

Almost all of my sold categories are in collectibles or antiques. No clothing.  All I know is that for the same types of sales from some of the same exact states eBay was adding sales tax up until early March. Now the only addition to the sold payment is the shipping charge but no taxes. Maybe I should just let sleeping dogs lie. If eBay isn't charging my customers sales tax anymore, so be it.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Resellers need to have a current sales tax exemption certificate on file  with their state to receive the exemption.  That would be a huge project for eBay to stay on top off.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 10 of 10
latest reply