cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Defects information - the math behind it

In the past year I sold about 85 or so products. My mom got sick so I went to take care of her (I am a stay at home mom) and then, I got sick. For almost a 6 week period, whatever sold - my husband canceled the orders as he is not familiar with Ebay and had his hands full with work/little one/his health issue. He had access to my account but didn't know/think to put it on vacation mode. When I got back, I appealed via my account and phone but it didn't help.

Other than those canceled orders, my performance has been perfect with 100% rating. It now shows 8.5 % defect rate. I know it should be 2% or less. Is my math right that I would have to sell 265 more items and have no defects to get back to above standard?? Is there a time period before my account is closed? 

If so, I know I won't be able to do that and might as well stop striving. As is it is an extra fee and I am paying for it. Please help me understand if I am missing something.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Defects information - the math behind it

You probably have the math right.  It is just like a batting average.  So sorry that health problems was the root cause of this.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

@1chaigirl 

"Is there a time period before my account is closed?"

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Word in the past has been that if you are showing improvement in your metrics eBay will allow you to continue.

The actual amount of improvement, and how long you will be allowed to continue is likely not a policy that the details of are divulged.

Previously when a buyer fell below standard they were shown the door. Current policy is an improvement over that.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

OP,

The math changes every day. Because the "lookback" period is one year, every day that passes means you may have "good" transactions aging out of your count. So you will likely need more than 265 to get above standard. 

The minute you discovered that you had to leave to help your mother, you should taken five minutes and ended all your listings. I do that anytime I am away for more than a couple days. 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I am surprised that when you left to care for your mother, you didn't you put your account on Time Away (vacation mode). Sadly, your account was left vulnerable and now the price is being paid. 

But there are some steps you can take to try and pull your account back up. According to policy, you have two months to show improvement before eBay will impose permanent restrictions. Below is a link to eBay’s Help pages with more info and ways to address the problem.

Very sorry you have been ill, and hope your mother is better as well. Sometimes life gets in the way of our eBay goals. All we can do is try our best. Good luck and best wishes.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/seller-performance-policy?id=4347

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Thank you for confirming my calculation. I am an occasional seller and with so many competing priorities I didn’t think. eBay listings unfortunately were not front and center in my life.  I’ve been on EBay for over a decade and have had excellent ratings but of course actions have consequences. Just that last year has been horrific. Lost my mom.

It will be a very long time before I could sell 300 items. With the fees penalty and with small margins to begin with, I guess my only option is to close my account instead of stressing about it daily. 

Thank you again for the kind words and advice.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I'm so sorry to hear that. But you can try your best, at least when it's not work, you already tried.

Good luck and wish all best things to you.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply