cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contacting buyers on personal phone

I have a buyer asking me to contact him with his personal cell. I've insisted that we should keep the conversation through eBay messages. Am I doing the right thing?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Contacting buyers on personal phone

SCAM!!

THERE IS NO REASON TO SPEAK ON THE PHONE.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 9 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Unless you are arranging a local pickup, neither of you should be providing contact information prior to a payment.

A message that says "I am interested in your item, kindly text me", an offer equal to or greater than your buy it now price, asking for your PayPal email address or a request for a gift card is generally the start of a scam where the scammer winds up sending a phony payment email that makes it look like the seller has received a payment when none has actually been received. Scammers like to target new sellers, particularly those selling expensive items.

Sending contact information (text or email) prior to a transaction payment is a violation of eBay policy; this policy is designed to protect honest buyers and sellers from this sort of thing, and to prevent off-eBay sales.

Never buy a gift card for anyone unless you are giving them a gift.

As a seller you should always check your account directly (not following a link in an email) to see if you have actually been paid prior to shipping. If an actual buyer does not send an actual payment, after four days you can cancel for nonpayment; this will prevent either party from leaving feedback and give the "buyer" a nonpayment strike. Be sure to set your buying requirement to reject bids or purchases from users with two or more strikes in the last year.

eBay will likely remove the scammer's account shortly, but the scammer will just create a new one or hijack an old one and continue sending scam offers and messages. Sellers must remain wary of any user that wants the seller to violate eBay policy.

You can avoid many common scams by listing your item for a fixed price with immediate payment required and by not accepting any offers. That way the buyer must complete checkout and actually pay in order to proceed.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

@fivestarparts1 

YES! Never take the conversation off of the eBay platform.  This could be a possible scam attempt.  Have they paid for the item? Do NOT allow  them to make any kind of payment for the item other than the payment options eBay offers.  This is a typical scam attempt that is usually aimed at new sellers.  Simply tell them you can't and that's that.  If they don't pay, after 4 days cancel the sale citing buyer did not pay and then block them.  Glad you came here to ask.  So many do not.  Please be careful, friend.

Happy Selling. 

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Giving out phone numbers can not only possibly get you banned from Ebay, but also even if you do not complete the sale, Ebay will take the fees from you asking price for doing such a thing. Block the buyer, there is no reason you should talk to them on the phone.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

I forgot to mention, it was a POTENTIAL buyer. They were wanting to ask for details about one of my items.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

This is a set up to a scam, with YOU being the victim.

Here are some red flags to watch out for.

1. Buyer asks for your email address, Paypal address or other personal/banking information
2. Buyer sends you a phone number to text/call him/her
3. Buyer asks you to buy gift cards to go with the order
4. Buyer asks you to send the item to a different address after paying
5. Buyer wants you to send the item overnight/express and will pay you a lot extra to do this
6. Buyers says that they cannot pay through the eBay website and sends you a link to click on so that the payment will go through
7. Buyer offers more for your item than the price you have it listed for

If ANY of the above happen, do not contact the buyer or respond to any messages from them. Block them here: https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/BuyerBlock This will prevent them from buying from you.  Ignore any further messages.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@fivestarparts1 

Read the post that @southern*sweet*tea provided for you.  Lots of good advice & what to look out for where scammers are concerned.  Virtual thieves are everywhere.  Protect yourself.  

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

I'm confused on number 5 and 7. How could it be a red flag?

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

SCAM!!

THERE IS NO REASON TO SPEAK ON THE PHONE.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Incorrect, there are reasons to talk on the phone, a phone conversation is a lot quicker than emailing when selling auto parts, certain electronics and industrial equipment, so it might not be  a scam so one needs to know how to spot a scam.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

There are  folks that rather talk to a human to be reassured, have complicated questions. Not always a rip off.

For used motorcycle parts, it could be legit. (big scam area too)

Some of the specifics in the ebay part lookup / compatibility database contain errors.

Some years may have different electrical connectors etc, compatible internal components in a instrument cluster.

Folks that are restoring a bike are picky. etc etc...

Ebay prefers you communicate through the platform messaging.

In all reality, it is safer.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

With emails, there is a "papertrail" of what was said and what was not.

When dealing with a complicated situation on eBay, the phones are best avoided since the reps there are often just anxious to get the caller off the phone so they can get a pee break or fill their daily quota.

@fivestarparts1

I'm confused on number 5 and 7. How could it be a red flag?

The card paying for the item is stolen or cloned.

When the actual owner makes a chargeback the seller is out the item and the money.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply