cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Competing against what?

I am a small reseller. I've noticed an uptick in Facebook ads showing so-called vintage jewelry (in various sizes and new without tags?) for sale on eBay, in supposedly gold over silver (misspelled) for under 3 bucks with free shipping. Who are these people and how can they get away with this **bleep**?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Competing against what?

I also like the ones they claim are vintage and antique, but they are new.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

@tealeye10 wrote:

I am a small reseller. I've noticed an uptick in Facebook ads showing so-called vintage jewelry (in various sizes and new without tags?) for sale on eBay, in supposedly gold over silver (misspelled) for under 3 bucks with free shipping. Who are these people and how can they get away with this **bleep**?

And some people ponder on why ebay isn't attracting more new buyers.

It's time for EBay to wake up 

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Well.... all vintage items can be New Old Stock (NOS) or Deadstock, but if it’s being sold for pennies then it’s repros  out of China

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

They are discounting to create buying habits on ebay ?. I think so.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

There aren't any legit sellers left on ebay. The fees are too high. There is no seller protection in the marketplace.

All the thieves and liars will post for anything they can get.

You're watching a dead man walking.
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@tealeye10 wrote:

@tealeye10,

If you look at the feedback profiles of those sellers you'll probably find that the majority of them are from China or elsewhere in Asia.  What they are selling is mostly plated metal with synthetic gems, and they can sell items that cheaply with Free shipping, because of a treaty that gives those countries a postal rate U.S. sellers can only dream of.  When sellers can sell 500 pieces of junk for $3 ebay ends up making more than they do from the lower volume sellers of quality items that sell for $50. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

That makes the most sense.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

I guess it just gets under my skin that they appear to be flaunting the "rules" although eBay surely sent me a couple of corrective warnings when I inadvertently strayed. It's not vintage, it's vintage style, it's not peridot or emerald, it's synthetic, and who knows what the metal is.  It may only appeal to a narrow market so I'll keep on for now.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

I suppose these are hit and run sales to gullible to inexperienced and/or younger buyers. Hopefully your wiser buyers will pass over these and purchase the real thing. The philosophy of these sellers is probably that the time period to claim not as described passes before the buyer gets wise to that the metal is thinly plated or fake. Those who sell these misrepresented items make a couple dollars on each item, that can add up to a lot of money with zero repeat buyers. Coupled with the problem of returning items purchased on ebay overseas to get the seller to provide the return label, millions and millions of dollars are considered not worth the hassle by US buyers, all at a few bucks at a time. Buyer beware was never more apropos.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply