cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged Bold Listing Fee when using 'Sell Similar' - Sellers take note

Just noticed four of my listings were charged C$4.20 each upon checking my Payments and page. 
I'd merely used a current listing (no Bold Listing) and replicated similar items. All four listings in succession were affected.

How it was 'checked' without my knowledge was baffling. Will be calling them soon.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Contact support as fast as possible

I once listed an item with bold title by mistake and contacted support, they refunded me instantly. It was a $4.20 fee on a $4.00 item tho, easy to defend it was a missclick. But they mainly told me because i contacted them into 24h they refunded

After you still need to remove the feature by yourself. If you already removed it and quick i guess it could help having a refund. It proves you did not tried to exploit it

It is totally our responsibility

Clearly not totally. Ebay put the bold title check box too close to the title edit. When you bulk listing/editing that's a way too easy missclick. There's a confirmation but it's understandable to not double check fees and fast click confirm when we don't use any feature with fees

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

gjs_16
Guide

I just had a seller cancel my purchase due to "problem with buyer's address" and when I questioned this was told that "an eaby glitch made a mistake on the price of over 800 of their listings!"

So it's my fault?

Let me tell you sellers something...

It is YOUR responsibility to check and double check every single line entry of every listing before clicking SUBMIT.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

It is totally our responsibility.

The most dangerous glitch is the Ghost Listing. Sold items, from as far back as 12 months are some how appearing as a live listing - buyer buys, seller hasn't had the item for a year.

Try getting a buyer to beleive that! Would you ?

Luckily I haven't had that happen but quite a few posters have

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

@martianbazaar wrote:

Just noticed four of my listings were charged C$4.20 each upon checking my Payments and page. 
I'd merely used a current listing (no Bold Listing) and replicated similar items. All four listings in succession were affected.

How it was 'checked' without my knowledge was baffling. Will be calling them soon.

You need to check before you bang the list button - it could not have been "checked without your knowledge" as the charge would have been right there.  If you're using random similar listings to 'sell similar' I suggest you create templates instead - that way you have complete control.

eBay may give you a courtesy refund.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Contact support as fast as possible

I once listed an item with bold title by mistake and contacted support, they refunded me instantly. It was a $4.20 fee on a $4.00 item tho, easy to defend it was a missclick. But they mainly told me because i contacted them into 24h they refunded

After you still need to remove the feature by yourself. If you already removed it and quick i guess it could help having a refund. It proves you did not tried to exploit it

It is totally our responsibility

Clearly not totally. Ebay put the bold title check box too close to the title edit. When you bulk listing/editing that's a way too easy missclick. There's a confirmation but it's understandable to not double check fees and fast click confirm when we don't use any feature with fees

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

I'll make a note of that

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

If your using the phone app to list you won't see all the fields selected. ebay sometime randomly select other fields like bold. It happened to me but I caught it before I hit submit. The best way is to finish your listings on a computer using seller hub advanced listing form. Then you can see what is being selected and the fee displayed at the bottom. Be careful if you hit sell similar from one of those listed with bold selected. You need to go through your listings on a PC daily and edit.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

@downunder-61 wrote:

It is totally our responsibility.

The most dangerous glitch is the Ghost Listing. Sold items, from as far back as 12 months are some how appearing as a live listing - buyer buys, seller hasn't had the item for a year.

Try getting a buyer to beleive that! Would you ?

Luckily I haven't had that happen but quite a few posters have

Yeah...

And you and I, we probably never will.

Seen this phenomenon more than once...

Mostly because it's really not a "glitch" but people love to place the blame on the great big bad unknown when they don't know what caused it, fact is it's most likely (inadvertent) human error.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Update:

G'day everyone!

Appreciate your inputs by sharing your experience as well. 

I did everything I possibly could to mitigate any potential mistakes I may commit. Since my products are low in volume, and with time to spare, I have the tendency to spend more of my time going through line by line.

When it comes to listing, I keep them simple. 
* Create my own template - no eye candy, 100% text-based, clear and concise.
* Never use the Bold Listing feature. It doesn't justify the expense anyways.
* Never use Bulk Listing tools because I simply don't trust and the margin of error is high.

So how did it happened? Beats me!. There weren't any Fee(s) indicated above the Submit button(I knew because I triple-checked every single listing).

I only realised I was charged the extras while checking my Payments page. And another thing that came up was there was a slight delay in getting the Confirmed Listing emails from eBay but there wasn't any reason to suspect. So when the emails arrived in succession, I saw the fees being included. I then immediately 'amend' the listings by removing the checked Bold Listings on purpose...now I have a stronger case to prove it wasn't my mistakes on my part.

Anyways, I immediately got in touch with eBay Rep and explained what happened. In the end, after reviewing the transactions, they refunded the fees, and the case closed. 

There were also other issues that took place concurrently...my Sales page stopped updating, and all my views were reset to 0, while the watch counter remains intact.  

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Hmmmm....thanks for the heads up...something to take note of!

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

See update on original post...

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Let me tell you sellers something...

It is YOUR responsibility to check and double check every single line entry of every listing before clicking SUBMIT.

Oh. move on...

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Haha...I did the same too...see update on my original post. Cheers mate!

Message 13 of 13
latest reply