cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Challenging an obviously ridiculous negative review

Never tried to challenge a negative review before, but this one irritates me greatly and in the one hour that I allow myself to be **bleep** off before I pack it away into the, cost of doing business, department of my brain, I wanted to know if there is something I can do. I know ebay views most negative reviews as the buyers experience, regardless if that experience is based in reality or the realm of make believe and magic. To sum it up, this person bought a toy. The toy in its new form comes with a ball accessory. My listing was for a used toy. All pictures showed no ball. Listing noted no accessories. Item condition specifically stated - "does not come with ball". Negative review today from buyer "item did not come with ball". If it wasnt for the fact that this statement had a negative review attached to it, it would be an exact reflection of the information i spelled out in my item description. Is there anything I can do to challenge this or should I just take a deep breath, eat a couple sleeves of Oreos and move on with my life. 

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

If this was an item that came with the original toy, then I would have put no ball right in the title.  That ball is part of the original toy not really an accessory which are usually items associated with this toy but bought after the fact.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

I agree, if I sell something less than/missing I'll put it in the title, like as is, for repair, figure only, no manual etc. Still could be overlooked, but has worked for me for the most part-so far. That could change of course!

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Call eBay  and tell them the buyer left a negative because the item didn't include the ball but the item condition specifically said does not come with ball, a ball was not pictured and it was noted no accessories. There should've been no expectation to receive the ball when you said does not come with ball! Ask them to remove it.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Yet,

Item condition by Category, for Toys states

that the item has been previously used..

(it doesn't directly say the item is 100% complete...

and to see seller's description.

Used: An item that has been used previously. See the seller's listing for full details and description of any imperfections.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/creating-managing-listings/item-conditions-category?id=47...

Well, the missing ball is clearly added to the Item Condition

but not to the description below.

I'd wait a few days, phone eBay, and try to get it removed.

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

The letter of ebay vs how the common buyer would interpret this. I would expect a toy that came with all its original parts to still have them.  They may not be in the same condition as when they were new but they should all be there.  Alert the buyer in the title so he can make an informed decision either to read the description or move on to another listing, 

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@kataggr-44 wrote:

The letter of ebay vs how the common buyer would interpret this. I would expect a toy that came with all its original parts to still have them.  They may not be in the same condition as when they were new but they should all be there.  Alert the buyer in the title so he can make an informed decision either to read the description or move on to another listing, 

I think we've been down this road before... if the OP used the UPC code then eBay substitutes its catalog info when a buyer views the listing on a mobile device... or at least that's what we were told here before when a seller sold a used item that was missing a part, and described and photo'd it exactly, only to get a SNAD.

Seems eBay goes out of its way to blindside sellers sometimes.

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

" I would expect a toy that came with all its original parts to still have them."

------

So you're saying .. For Parts / Not Working

should have been used?

Thanks

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

No I 'm saying put a disclaimer like incomplete in the title so buyers don't have to waste time reading an entire description only to realize that.  

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Wanted to follow up with a resolution. After my initial annoyance I reached out to the buyer and asked if I could help them with anything. They said that they expected a brand new item to have all the parts. I politely apologized that they were unhappy with the order, but pointed out that the item is listed as used and the description noted that the item did not come with that accessory. I offered them the opportunity to return the item at my expense. The buyer messaged back that they reviewed the listing again, would like to keep the item, and asked if there was a way for them to revise the feedback. They did that and changed the review to a positive, so it worked out really well.

In regards to the listing format, I only put incomplete on an item title if the item is missing a part (an action figure is missing an arm, a transformer is missing a wing). The only exception to this is if the item is in its original box and its missing its accessories then Ill note that in the item title. In regards to the item condition, I put a detailed description of what is included in the lot. I feel that this section is where any clarification to the broad term of USED needs to be placed. I don't rely solely on the picture to reflect whats included as whenever I see another seller do that it raises red flags.  I have never had a problem with this and this is the first time I've ever had someone complain that an item was not included when the information reflected it did not. In the past, if I made a mistake with the listing, or if looking back I can see that it was ambiguous, Ill take the blame for it and either offer a return, a discount, or in some situations a full refund and allow them to keep the item. 

I appreciate everyones responses, Im glad it ended up working out. 

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@clearsphere wrote:

I agree, if I sell something less than/missing I'll put it in the title, like as is, for repair, figure only, no manual etc. Still could be overlooked, but has worked for me for the most part-so far. That could change of course!

Or they could put '' Please read the details ''  in the title  ?  Tulips 

Message 11 of 11
latest reply