cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Caution to sellers today, something is wrong on eBay's server side

This morning I had noticed some strangeness on eBay. Certain pages weren't appearing, graphs weren't matching. Our sales graph was 2 hours behind, and the sales amount for that time of day was incorect (and $500 less than our actual sales amount). 

I then checked the Traffic pages, and noticed between 11AM and 2PM, traffic did not move, despite us having a few sales since then (albeit much slower sales than we've had in months).

Well, I checked again at around 2:30PM, and it still seemed the same. I decided to assess our server software to see if there was anything going on.

Our software has been receiving this error since then:

eBay API request error: Error: Sorry, something went wrong. Please wait a moment and try again. (10007)

If we look up what this error means, on the eBay API site: https://developer.ebay.com/devzone/xml/docs/Reference/ebay/Errors/errormessages.htm

This error means:

Error 10007 ("Internal error to the application") indicates an error on the eBay server side, not an error in your application

I would recommend everyone check their stores for any errors, and make sure to report the problems to eBay. That way we have some evidence that we were affected by this issue, and hopefully we'll be protected if we receive any damage from eBay.

In our case, hundreds of stock updates and/or price updates that we've been performing today have NOT successfully completed.

Good luck all, and please, if you find any issues please post here. Hopefully a compilation of the problems might narrow down exactly what's going on, or help find a correlation between the issues we're facing!
Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Caution to sellers today, something is wrong on eBay's server side

Probablyeans eBay is tinkering with something.  I've been noticing some bugs here lately.  I've had drafts disappear and error messages when I go to do shipping labels.  So just wondering what eBay is up to now. 

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

@escarchac wrote:

Probablyeans eBay is tinkering with something.  I've been noticing some bugs here lately.  I've had drafts disappear and error messages when I go to do shipping labels.  So just wondering what eBay is up to now. 

Yeah, it's a bit of a worry and a bit of a relief for me.

Worried as this could cause stock/pricing issues for us since we run a large business that is managed by our software.

Relieved that traffic wasn't extremely low without cause, and it's due to an eBay server issue, and will hopefully resolved once this problem is fixed.

I just hope this is fixed soon....

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

@zamo-zuan It's code-release thursday so always assume that mayhem will ensue on eBay!  🤣

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 4 of 24
latest reply

@dtexley3 wrote:

@zamo-zuan It's code-release thursday so always assume that mayhem will ensue on eBay!  🤣

Understandable, to a point.

But this error 10007 is very worrying. I've never encountered this one before. It blatantly says an error on the eBay side.

When I reported this issue to eBay directly, they stated that resolution could be reliant on how many people report it.

This is extremely worrying, as on eBay itself it simply looks like things are wonky. You need access to software with API access, and the ability to check the software logs, to be able to find this error! So if we're reliant on users reporting this, there's not many of them out there.

Meanwhile, any businesses that use 3rd party software, especially larger businesses with many thousands of listings, are in a bad situation...

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

timeline.png

The above image is a timeline of the last 3 hours. Basically, any time you see one of those yellow warnings lines, this indicates our software received error 10007 when attempting an update at that time.

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

And here's a graph from the eBay API Dashboard showing the success/fail rate:

RFPI.png

Now to be clear, this is NOT listing every attempt as failed. It seems many of these errors are NOT giving any sort of report.

Because when an attempt fails, the software re-attempts every 3-5 seconds (due to eBay's API limits). Since this fail began earlier, there's been literally thousands of attempts. But only the 16 successful and 496 of the failures are being reported here. 

In other words, eBay's system isn't even properly detecting these failures for error 10007!

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

The site is always broken 😜 Makes me wonder if the way pages have been loading has anything to do with this.
Message 8 of 24
latest reply

More updates... Just did a deeper dive in to our logs to see when the first time we've ever recorded this error was.

First error was on July 3rd, and that's in months of logs.

But it was very spare/random at that point. It wasn't until today that > 99% of the Revise API requests have received this error.

Trying to think of anything could have possibly caused this, the only thing that happened on the 3rd was we began our required registration for Managed Payments.

Now, the registration was not completed until Monday or Tuesday as we ended up having to send additional verification that was requested. And now Hub says: 

"We’ll email and notify you in My eBay Messages before activating your account for managed payments. You’ve successfully registered for managed payments. Thanks for getting your business ready early."

MP hasn't activated yet, and we're still receiving PayPal, so this shouldn't have any effect on our store.

The MP sign up was the only correlation I could find for July 3rd, so if it's not the result of that, I'm not sure what it is.

But again, the error became constant as of today, with >99% of the revise attempts failing.

If this keeps up tomorrow, I will write up a guide on how anyone could sign up for the developer site and test this themselves, so we could see if this is something that happens to everyone, or only specific stores. 

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

@zamo-zuan I'd be willing to bet you are on to something with the MP registration.

One of the points on the MP checklist from eBay was about needing to update your use of eBay APIs for MP. I agree with you that shouldn't be a factor until MP is actually active on your listings, but with eBay you never know.

If you haven't seen this link yet, maybe there will be something here that can help you? 

https://developer.ebay.com/managed-payments

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

@zamo-zuan I'd be willing to bet you are on to something with the MP registration.

One of the points on the MP checklist from eBay was about needing to update your use of eBay APIs for MP. I agree with you that shouldn't be a factor until MP is actually active on your listings, but with eBay you never know.

If you haven't seen this link yet, maybe there will be something here that can help you? 

Yep, I read that.

In the eBay product data, there's a section for PayPal payments, and the updates would be for the MP payments. (which, I believe, wouldn't even be necessary as eBay already knows the payment info)

So the thing is, any of these revise attempts are not sending anything regarding payment data. These updates are only sending stock, product identifiers, price, sometimes shipping information, etc.

For a quick example, let's say I was going to create a listing. A new listing would need payment information, so my Create Listing function in the software would need to be updated. As PayPal is no longer accepted, it'd need the MP information (which, as mentioned, I think is automatic and not even necessary)

For something like a revise, the listing is already created. In this case, we're just telling eBay "Revise stock to 10. Revise price to $59.00". No payment information is typically sent during these calls; only the information that is to be updated.

To summarize, Revise functions shouldn't need to be updated for MP, unless they were trying to revise payment info, and I don't even think that's possible.

I'll give some better examples tomorrow if this isn't fixed by then. 

Using that link, it gives this information:

"When listing or revising items with the Trading API or Inventory API, the seller no longer needs to specify any payment methods, as available payment methods are controlled by eBay. If a seller does include one or more payment methods in an API call, eBay will drop those specified payment methods from the listing, and will return a warning message to the seller that the payment methods were dropped. Another API field that is no longer needed is the seller's PayPal payment address, and this field will also be dropped by eBay if included in an API call."

So it seems even if incorrect information was being sent, it'd just be dropped.

In basic terms, this should mean if these errors are a result of MP, something isn't working correctly on eBay's end, and revise functions shouldn't need to be tweaked as we're not sending any payment information.

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

@zamo-zuan wrote:

@valueaddedresource wrote:

Yep, I read that.

In the eBay product data, there's a section for PayPal payments, and the updates would be for the MP payments. (which, I believe, wouldn't even be necessary as eBay already knows the payment info)

So the thing is, any of these revise attempts are not sending anything regarding payment data. These updates are only sending stock, product identifiers, price, sometimes shipping information, etc.

For a quick example, let's say I was going to create a listing. A new listing would need payment information, so my Create Listing function in the software would need to be updated. As PayPal is no longer accepted, it'd need the MP information (which, as mentioned, I think is automatic and not even necessary)

For something like a revise, the listing is already created. In this case, we're just telling eBay "Revise stock to 10. Revise price to $59.00". No payment information is typically sent during these calls; only the information that is to be updated.

To summarize, Revise functions shouldn't need to be updated for MP, unless they were trying to revise payment info, and I don't even think that's possible.

I'll give some better examples tomorrow if this isn't fixed by then. 

Using that link, it gives this information:

"When listing or revising items with the Trading API or Inventory API, the seller no longer needs to specify any payment methods, as available payment methods are controlled by eBay. If a seller does include one or more payment methods in an API call, eBay will drop those specified payment methods from the listing, and will return a warning message to the seller that the payment methods were dropped. Another API field that is no longer needed is the seller's PayPal payment address, and this field will also be dropped by eBay if included in an API call."

So it seems even if incorrect information was being sent, it'd just be dropped.

In basic terms, this should mean if these errors are a result of MP, something isn't working correctly on eBay's end, and revise functions shouldn't need to be tweaked as we're not sending any payment information.

I figured you'd be all over it already 😉 but I know that MP info is kind of all over the place and not easy to find so it was a shot in the dark.  

I hope you are able to figure it out and if you do set up a test, I'd be happy to help.

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

@zamo-zuan  for what it's worth, I saw someone on Twitter reporting that they are having issues with an eBay API error that is preventing them from printing shipping labels as well.

They didn't give much more detail than that, but it definitely sounds like you may not be the only one experiencing API issues at the moment.

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

And they want the keys to the kingdom on everyone's money.  I trust  it to be in good hands.

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

@zamo-zuan  how is it going today? Are you still seeing such a large amount of errors or does it seem like eBay is getting their *stuff together and getting it fixed?

Message 15 of 24
latest reply