cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot sell novelty money anymore under the US Novelty Paper Money category.

I tried to relist another group of novelty money bills that I have been selling for a few years, but now a red warning banner pops up stating that it is prohibited under the "replica coins and currency" policy. 

I am listing it under the Novelty Money category, They are obviously fake, my listing title states SATIRE and FAKE MONEY, and there are literally thousands of other funny money listings posted the novelty money category.

I had a long chat with customer service, they say I have to abide by the UK's forgery & counterfeiting act of 1981. Even though I have excluded UK from mailing. They also say the fake money needs to be small size with printing on only one size.

This is absurd.  

Screenshot_4.pngScreenshot_3.png

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Well, dang - I did what you suggested, removed the words fake money from the title and replaced it with the word novelty, and Voilà ! It is now listed. Thanks for the tip.

10 POLITICAL SATIRE BILLS vintage 1990's NOVELTY clinton monica lewinski | eBay

View Best Answer in original post

Message 20 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

If eBay says you can’t list it, then don’t list it.
They don’t allow replicas of currency on their site. Replica Coins and Currency Policy.  

Just because you see other sellers selling replicas or fake currency, it doesn’t mean it’s ok , they just haven’t been caught yet. 

If you see others listing those items feel free to report them, there’s a report link in every listing. 

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

I'm glad they don't allowed it. At least what you've shown doesn't look like real money. I've seen what they call "prop money" or "motion picture money" that could easily fool people. These FAKES have Grant, Franklin and other photos on them and they look darned real! 

I hope they remove all replica money listings.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

I understand the rules they are stating, and I do not think my listing violates it.

The Ebay policy states:
Replica coins are not allowed
Counterfeit or altered coins and currency are not allowed, nor is equipment designed to make them.
• Only one-sided replica paper currency that follows these rules can be listed:
 ◦Size is less than 75% or greater than 150% of the genuine currency
 ◦The listing includes a photo of the actual replica paper currency being sold
 ◦The listing includes the word "replica" in the title and description

1. My point is that I am not selling "replica" money. It is very obviously fake money. Look up the definition of 'replica' anywhere.

From Websters: an exact reproduction; a copy exact in all details. From Collins: a reproduction or copy of a work of art, esp. a copy by the maker of the original; any very close reproduction or copy; facsimile.

2. The regulations Ebay cite come from the U.K.s Forgery and Counterfeiting Act 1981.
I think we broke from the UK around 1776 or so. Besides, I blocked my fake money from selling anywhere but the U.S.

Why does Ebay have a novelty money category anyway, then?

I'll take this to the Supreme Court!

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

Doesn't matter what you feel. You either follow the rules to use the site or you walk away. You have no other option. It is completely voluntary to use any place. You do not get to pick & choose which rules you want to follow. Maybe all this means is you have to find someplace that WILL let your sell your suspect items legally?

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

I think I am following those rules they have posted.

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

Did you notice the red banner directs you to UK regs?  Did you try to set your shipping to US only?

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

fake money is an educational tool used to teach about money in classrooms. what about fake money in board games?

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

fake money is an educational tool used to teach about money in classrooms. what about fake money in board games?

If you're seriously asking...

There is a category for selling things like monopoly money: Game Pieces, Parts.

There is a category for toys like play money: Toys & Hobbies, Other Preschool & Pretend Play

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

@Anonymous  Monopoly money and other money for games is smaller and different colors.  In other words, doesn't look even remotely real.  The above money looks real.  I saw a story recently where someone was passing replica money /prop money used in movies.  It said the word replica right on it but someone still fell for it.

The money used is classrooms is smaller and doesn't look real either.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

"Just because you see other sellers selling replicas or fake currency, it doesn’t mean it’s ok , they just haven’t been caught yet."

What if those sellers have been selling replicas for years? Are they just SUPER tricky?

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

Why? How exactly would you fool people with fake money?

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

What is wrong with real looking fake money? Are you worried about counterfeit money LOL? Who even uses cash money anymore?

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

Believe it or not.....not everyone in the world is smart. There are a few who would think the items are real. 

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

Yes, as I stated I am blocking sales to all countries except the U.S.

Here is the UK Forgery & Counterfeiting act of 198 1 (part 2 is what Ebay states my listing violates):

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1981/45

Reading it, my listing clearly does not apply to any of those regulations, which deal with "counterfeiting and kindred offences". I am not counterfeiting. Besides, it's UK law, and I have blocked my sales to the UK anyway.

I think the ebay customer service I had a chat with did not actually read the text of the regulations they say I am violating to actually see if I was.  Whatever the AI was that put that prohibited banner on my listing, the chat employees probably just saw the block (their term) and went with it.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply