cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canadian Gov Making a Killing on Sales Tax.

So i rencently got an email from ebay that starting july 1st, they will be adding a 13% (HST) tax to their Fee's. 

combined with paypal thats about 13% seller fee & tax that with 13% Canadian Gov Sales Tax added to that.

so here im thinking....

Some guy Buys a TV from BEST buy. He Pays Sales TAX to Gov 13%

same guy gets tired of his tv and pawns it.

i go to the pawn shop & buy that TV. I pay the Canadian Gov 13% Sales Tax

Few days later, i sell the TV on Ebay & Ebay Charges me 13% Sales Tax on my seller Fee's & i charge the Guy who bought the TV 13% sales Tax on that Same TV

what are we up to? how many times can something Be TAXED? it makes not scence? what if the guy who bought the TV ends up selling it again?!?! he must Charge another 13% sales tax?

not sure how many times you can tax the same item over and over and over and over till your paying more tax than the product is even worth.

do they do this in the USA?

lack of sales, high taxes, death & taxes.

im not blaming Ebay for Canadian TAXES but i do think Taxing the same item over and over is CRAZY!!!!

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

In the US anything sold on a commercial level is state and locally taxed (with certain local exceptions....food/drug/etc)....whether in a store selling new or 2nd hand shop, etc.  On line sales supposedly are taxed (or not) at the state level in different ways.......

It's not a "per item tax" it's a per commercial transaction tax  which is used to cover the services rendered to that entity.....at least that is the justification........Best Buy is given police/fire protection, public access streets, etc.........

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

i should send the Canadian Government a Invoiced Service Fee'

For my Time, & Services for Collecting, handling, Storing & Transfering their sales tax to them.

😜

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

well, complaining about it here isn't going to help any............

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

so if anyone out there, is handling government money, make sure when you do your taxes concerning ebay, that you include your time on the ebay website as an expence. if you are your own "business" you can "pay" yourself for your time spent.

if you sell 500.00 in one month and you put 10 hours in. pay yourself 20.00 an hour and deduct that from your 500.00 sale. so then your only paying sales tax on 300.00 earned. and then you deduct the sales tax you paid to ebay from the amount of sales tax you owe the gov.

i hate paper work.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Brya..........I understand your angst...........but that advice is INCORRECT for most US ebay small sellers........ I really suggest you post on the Canadian board............

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

@brya_fonta wrote:

so if anyone out there, is handling government money, make sure when you do your taxes concerning ebay, that you include your time on the ebay website as an expence. if you are your own "business" you can "pay" yourself for your time spent.

if you sell 500.00 in one month and you put 10 hours in. pay yourself 20.00 an hour and deduct that from your 500.00 sale. so then your only paying sales tax on 300.00 earned. and then you deduct the sales tax you paid to ebay from the amount of sales tax you owe the gov.

i hate paper work.

But then you have to declare $200 as earned income.

You can't win and with the coming demise of paper money everything will be tracked and there will be no "under the table".

It's already illegal in Florida to store cash in a safe deposit box.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

You have your rights and they have their guns. Who wins?

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

but its so quiet there........

and i have you here, paying attention to me 😜

❤️ ❤️ ❤️

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

@scstool wrote:

That doesn't seem like a good place to store cash anyway. Stuff in safe deposit boxes is not insured. What if the bank fails and you can't get in to your safe deposit box? What if an emergency happens and you need a few grand in the middle of the night? No way would I keep cash in a safe deposit box, that's what mattresses are for! (okay, not really...but safe deposit boxes are generally inaccessable when you need them the most) Keep some in a 24/7 accessible bank account and strategically squirrel the rest away.

Money isn't earning interest in a safe deposit box or the mattress (or the wall safe, or in the fake ice cream box in the freezer or the coffee can under the third fence post from the left gate in the cow pasture) but at least it's accessible when it's not in a safe deposit box.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Sounds like a business killer for many in Canada.

The USA is no better. We are champions of taxes, surcharges and fees with probably no less than 10,000 fees across the economic spectrum. From utility fees to baggage fees to resort fees to fees for driving on tax funded roads using fuel taxed at 35% to everything in between. Add the taxes and surcharges to that and you get the idea. The only thing they haven't figured out yet is how to add a surcharge and fee for going to the toilet. But bet on it, it's comin.

Politicians and business discovered a long time ago they don't have to raise prices, just tac on another bogus fee and THEN raise prices anyway.

The United States is no longer a country. It's a business or more appropriately a cartel.

Change.....As the wind blows
Message 11 of 17
latest reply

I'm not quite sure of the point you are trying to make.  Governments levy taxes and there is little, if anything, that the ordinary citizen can do to prevent it.  Barring a full scale revolution, the only thing most citizens can do is to get politically active and vote those that they feel are responsible for high taxes out of office.

While I can't address the tax situation in other countries such as Canada, here in the US the federal government isn't involved in the collection of sales tax.  They seem to do quite well by taxing the citizen's income.  It is the states that depend on sales/use taxes to fulfill their need for money.

Some states, like mine, have a sales/use tax requirement but no state income tax.  Others have state income tax and sales/use tax while still others don't have any state sales tax at all.

Alas!  I don't see that there is any real way that our complaints are going to effect much change on their own.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 12 of 17
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

@scstool wrote:

That doesn't seem like a good place to store cash anyway. Stuff in safe deposit boxes is not insured. What if the bank fails and you can't get in to your safe deposit box? What if an emergency happens and you need a few grand in the middle of the night? No way would I keep cash in a safe deposit box, that's what mattresses are for! (okay, not really...but safe deposit boxes are generally inaccessable when you need them the most) Keep some in a 24/7 accessible bank account and strategically squirrel the rest away.

Money isn't earning interest in a safe deposit box or the mattress (or the wall safe, or in the fake ice cream box in the freezer or the coffee can under the third fence post from the left gate in the cow pasture) but at least it's accessible when it's not in a safe deposit box.

All good points, I am just pointing out it is illegal to keep cash in a safe deposit box and it is subject to seizure. 

Also the thresholds for depositing/withdrawing cash are lower than the old $10,000 limits. I am not sure (don't remember) what the new limits are but the teller told me they are required to report transactions more than xxxx dollars.

Just pointing out cash is being phased out of our society. Corpogovernment wants a cut anytime money moves. Hard to do that with cash.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

@scstool wrote:

Also the thresholds for depositing/withdrawing cash are lower than the old $10,000 limits. I am not sure (don't remember) what the new limits are but the teller told me they are required to report transactions more than xxxx dollars.

Oh geez, when did that change??  Time to go buy some "used cars" and make some "home improvements".

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 14 of 17
latest reply

@brya_fonta I agree with you on used items getting taxed each additional time they change hands.  Tax, if applicable, should only be charged once on an item when it is sold by the Retailer, PERIOD. 

Government, be it local, state or federal, finds ways of taxing everything they can.  I am surprised they have not come up with a way to levy a tax against the Canadian Goverment for all the geese that use the US air space as well as eat US grown bugs, grain, etc and possibly a golf course clean up tax from all the ponds and surrounding fariways that get soiled from ... well you know, goose droppings.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 15 of 17
latest reply