cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone explain to me the missing "VARIATION" option?

For some reason the option to make a variation listing is missing and I cannot figure out how to do it.  Apparently this is a rather big issue on eBay.

First, the category ABSOLUTELY allows variation listings. (Painting Supplies>Paint>Acrylic Paint).

Second, its a fixed price listing using "Buy it Now"

Absolutely nowhere on the page is there an option for a variation listing even though there are a ton of these variation listings for the same items already on eBay.  I even did a page search for the word "variation."

Does anyone know what is going on?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Can someone explain to me the missing "VARIATION" option?

Hey @gozhven . First thing: variations are not supported on the app. Make sure you're using the website.

By default the variation setting is hidden on the listing form. Once you unhide the setting it will stick for future listings.

On the top right of the page click the settings menu (3 vertical dots) and toggle the variations slider if it's not already on.

Make sure you're working off a new listing, not a relist or sell similar from a listing without variations.

Beyond that it comes down to category; not every category supports variations.

If the category supports variations you'll find them in a non-intuitive, awkward placement on the listing form - below item specifics instead of above them. Make sure you set up variations before you fill out any of the IS.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Try clicking on the "Have one to sell? Sell now" page on one of the existing variations listings in that category?

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Hey @gozhven . First thing: variations are not supported on the app. Make sure you're using the website.

By default the variation setting is hidden on the listing form. Once you unhide the setting it will stick for future listings.

On the top right of the page click the settings menu (3 vertical dots) and toggle the variations slider if it's not already on.

Make sure you're working off a new listing, not a relist or sell similar from a listing without variations.

Beyond that it comes down to category; not every category supports variations.

If the category supports variations you'll find them in a non-intuitive, awkward placement on the listing form - below item specifics instead of above them. Make sure you set up variations before you fill out any of the IS.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

That was it.  Thank you so much!!!

You are 100% correct when you say "non-intuitive, awkward placement."

Anyway, have a great day.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Wow, thank you. This was the correct answer to all of my searches like, 

"ebay variation listing missing"

"ebay variation listing missing pokemon cards"

"ebay variation listing missing ccg cards"
"ebay you pick the item listing"

I'm just dropping those there in case it helps this search come up for others with a similar problem.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

"Make sure you're working off a new listing, not a relist or sell similar from a listing without variations"

We shouldn't be googling for this. Typical ebay...

Thank you!

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

I simply cannot list something with variations, yet I see tons of listings that have it. 

For example, if I'm selling vintage birthday cards and I have 3 different versions with different artwork, I should be able to allow a person to select the version he/she wants. 

I cannot.  I keep reading online advice and the options are just not there. 

Click "this" and click "that", or click "dots".   Un-click "auction", etc. 

I am going to have to call ebay.  

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Don't call eBay, that's a useless option, especially for this.

In many categories, you can't do variation listings, and anything vintage is probably one of those.  Have you checked the help docs on variation listings to make sure they're supported in that category?

Also, I don't really think that's the best usage of variations listings, honestly.  If I were the customer, I might just skip over your listing, especially if each variation had different pricing (if not, it's a little more reasonable but often just annoys customers).  It's meant for things like clothing sizes.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@chvi-5851 wrote:

I simply cannot list something with variations, yet I see tons of listings that have it. 

For example, if I'm selling vintage birthday cards and I have 3 different versions with different artwork, I should be able to allow a person to select the version he/she wants. 

In what category @chvi-5851 ? I checked and this category does not support variations:

Collectibles > Paper > Vintage Greeting Cards>Birthday

GLORIOUS!

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

i FINALLY figured it out. so you have to have an actual ebay store - not just an account in order for the option to show up. a store requires you to choose a subscription, with the most basic starting at $5 a month. you can have an account and list items without having a store, but you won’t be able to see the option until you have one. i wrongfully assumed because i had created an account and listed a few items that automatically meant i had a “store” but it’s a whole separate thing and if you don’t have one of their subscriptions for one you won’t be able to see the option for variations. i don’t know why it was so hard for me to find that information lol but i was losing my

mind trying to figure out why no matter what i did the option didn’t seem to exist. hope this helps!

Message 10 of 10
latest reply