cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can no longer view details of SOLD items

Almost daily, I review my bookmarked searches for new items as well as sold searches for things I may have missed.  Sometimes there are more items included in a listing than are noted in the title or shown in the first photo and sometimes details of missing items or damage are given that help explain why an item sold for as little or as much as it did.

Tonight in going through my searches, I find I cannot view individual completed listings.  When I try, I get a new page that says, "The listing you’re looking for is no longer available. Check out this similar item we found for you," and it shows me something different.  Of course the "simiar" item is never even close to what I wanted to see.

This has not happened prior to today, so I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing this.  Has there been some permanent change?  Does ebay now feel threatened by sellers' ability to look at a sold item (which would seem the most plausible, knowing how paranoid they are)?  Thanks for any responses or insights.

Message 1 of 111
latest reply
110 REPLIES 110

Re: Can no longer view details of SOLD items

@marionbrandis wrote:

Ebay has now removed the faint blue 'listing' link as well - so no way of checking out sold listings. How are we supposed to research what price to charge of pay for an item when we cannot see the details of sold items? Please, Ebay, enable that feature again.

I agree that it can be annoying not being able to see solds; but it does have the benefit of weaning sellers off what "everyone else is doing" and pricing at what they feel is right.

Too often I have seen solds for an item that I deep down know everyone is pricing too low, because that is what everyone else is doing.  Nowadays, I will just use solds as a rough ballpark range and then price on the high end, if I feel the item warrants it, possibly even higher than the highest of the solds.

And it works.

Best example happened back in May this year.

Since we had not had a land line since we switched from CenturyLink to Charter, I decided it was time to sell off this little bugger...

SI-ET-Phone-Duck-Telemania-0.JPG

Solds here showed quite a few at the time in the $50 to $75 range, with a mix of fixed price and auctions that only got one or two bids.  There were also a couple in the lower triple digits at around $100 to $150, and one that actually did get some real bidding action and ended at around $250 (odd that many of those $50 to $75 listings had been listed after the big one ended.  Can't imagine so many sellers leaving that much money on the table).

Anyway, I decided that I would give it a 4 month listing cycle on the other E at $300, and 9 or 10 days later (original date stamp on the pictures for the listing were 20-MAY; but can't recall if it was listed same day or was on the next day's docket), I was $300 richer thanks to my decision to set my own "standard" instead of following everyone else.

Sold Duck Phone.jpg

And that is only the most prominent of many such scenarios.  Gut instinct is often more accurate than what everyone else is doing to where my policy has become start on the high end; then you can always work your way down gradually to lower prices.

Unless there are a metric buttload of endeds where the well is undoubtedly poisoned to where the race to the bottom has reached its conclusion, then endeds are not as accurate an indicator of what to expect due to auctions typically getting very few bids nowadays and fixed price sales only indicating what that one buyer at that point in time was willing to pay.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 106 of 111
latest reply

@releasecoolthings wrote:
Same --Original Listings for Purchased Items are not being displayed 100% problem. The text for the listing is shown but zero (none) , no capacity to see the original photos. How can anyone know if the item received matches the photo. Big problem...no logic behind this except to protect the seller and really rake the buyer over the coals.

Chances are, this will be more likely to screw over sellers than buyers.  If a buyer can't easily get to the original listing to compare what they got, they may very well think they got the wrong item and force a return at the seller's expense.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 107 of 111
latest reply

EBay is totally gone down the toilet what they've done is ruined it and also their whoring everybody for every little thing screw them

Message 108 of 111
latest reply

I was trying to share a sold item on my private Facebook page to show my friends something I sold but it kept showing a completely different item (from same TV show) and I couldn't figure out no matter WHAT I did how to share my actual item sold! Wth is up with this? 

Message 109 of 111
latest reply

Everyone is dealing with the headaches associated with ebay. They are always changing everything on the site so you never knew where to go for anything. Not being able to view sold items is just one more headache to the long list. I've been selling on ebay for 10 years and don't know how much more i can take from them ruining my business. All i can say is do yourself a favor and find another place to sell.

Message 110 of 111
latest reply

Just think of Ebay as a business on it's way out and they are trying to think of ways they can make more money before they disappear.

Message 111 of 111
latest reply