cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use my second ebay account if one of them is below standard?

My ebay account is going to be below standard for just a month which means i’m essentially shadow banned. So my question is there a rule against using your above standard account while one of your accounts is below standard?

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Can I use my second ebay account if one of them is below standard?

Why does being below standard = being banned and what is "shadow banned"?  How is it going to be below standard for only a month if you don't use the account?  You typically can't bring your account above standard from being below standard if you don't use the account and get more transaction so it dilutes the numbers.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

@831diego wrote: ... is there a rule against using your above standard account while one of your accounts is below standard?

No.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

@831diego ,

Nope! It against eBay rules as it should be. Why should eBay allow below standard sellers which affect above standard sellers be allowed to dodge the consequences?

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

@theteamsetguy wrote:

@831diego ,

Nope! It against eBay rules as it should be....

Since we have provided opposite advice here, for the sake of the OP I must ask you to provide a link to this policy.  Sellers who are Below Standard are allowed to list, so why would their other IDs not be allowed to list?

I believe that sellers who have been suspended are not supposed to evade the suspension by listing under other IDs. But "below standard" status is not the same as suspension. 

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

Why does being below standard = being banned and what is "shadow banned"?  How is it going to be below standard for only a month if you don't use the account?  You typically can't bring your account above standard from being below standard if you don't use the account and get more transaction so it dilutes the numbers.

If the OP has a defect or two drop off this month,  they could be above standard next month.

Posting ID
Message 6 of 16
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@theteamsetguy wrote:

@831diego ,

Since we have provided opposite advice here, for the sake of the OP I must ask you to provide a link to this policy.  Sellers who are Below Standard are allowed to list, so why would their other IDs not be allowed to list?

I believe that sellers who have been suspended are not supposed to evade the suspension by listing under other IDs. But "below standard" status is not the same as suspension. 

I agree that the OP can still list on as many accounts as they have. 

My question is, "Will the additional FVF's follow to the OP's other accounts?"

Posting ID
Message 7 of 16
latest reply

@lakefor94 wrote: ... "Will the additional FVF's follow to the OP's other accounts?"

I doubt it. There's nothing in the eBay help pages which indicates that this penalty carries across to accounts which are Above Standard.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

@lakefor94 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

If the OP has a defect or two drop off this month,  they could be above standard next month.

True, that could happen.  

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

@lakefor94 wrote:

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@theteamsetguy wrote:

@831diego ,

No.  Unless the other accounts also were found to be Below Standard as well.  Each account has their own eval on the 20th of each month.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

It’s only going to be below standard for a month because one of my 3 defects will fall off in a month. Which would bring me to 2 defects thus bringing my account above standard on the next evaluation. Also ebay doesn’t admit it but many people have reported going from multiple sales to 0 a day as a result of being below standard they essentially shadow ban your account meaning your listings are almost hidden you get significantly less traffic which has certainly been my experience. 

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@831diego wrote:

It’s only going to be below standard for a month because one of my 3 defects will fall off in a month. Which would bring me to 2 defects thus bringing my account above standard on the next evaluation. Also ebay doesn’t admit it but many people have reported going from multiple sales to 0 a day as a result of being below standard they essentially shadow ban your account meaning your listings are almost hidden you get significantly less traffic which has certainly been my experience. 

Our evals are always on the 20th of each month.  In the eval they use data from as of the end of the previous month and the findings are effective the 1st of the following month.

So the March 20th eval will be for the period ending February 29th and whatever they find will be effective April 1st.

Unless your defects fall off my the end of this month, it will not help your March eval.

If you take a peek at the list of different threads that people create here on the Seller Forum, there is always some that are complaining about their sales and it has nothing to do with them being Below Standard.

However when you are Below standard you do get dropped down in the Search Returns.

Hopefully whatever happened to get you in this position, you have figured out how to avoid for the future.  If you are unsure, let us know why you got the defects and we can try to help you come up with a plan.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

When a seller drops below standard their sales will have higher fees.

That's basically it.
EBay would have told the seller if the number or value of new listings was also restricted.

By moving new listings to another selling account, the seller is avoiding those higher fees.

But currently listed items on the first account will still have higher fees until the month is over.

My puzzle is that the OP thinks the higher fees will only be in place for a month.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Are you listing and selling on the Below Standard account?
I'm guessing that over the past 12 months you had accumulated two Defects, and very recently got a third, but the first will, as you say, age off?

So the fee increase will only affect this account for a month.

If the alternate account has had slow sales, no matter what the fee, you may still lose out by "switching" to it.

Sales lead to higher placement leads to sales which lead to higher placement and so on.

And while adding PL Standard to the listings on the alternate account may help, even the 2% minimum fee there might put the alternate account in the same cost range as the **bleep** one.

And while the alternate account may have lower fees, it may also have lower sales.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@lakefor94 wrote:

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@theteamsetguy wrote:

@831diego ,

No.  Unless the other accounts also were found to be Below Standard as well.  Each account has their own eval on the 20th of each month.

That was in my thought process when adding selling accounts years ago. Did not know for sure, though never had to find out.

Posting ID
Message 15 of 16
latest reply