cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I still offer a Second Chance Offer?

Recently I listed an item as an auction.  The buyer that won the auction never paid.  Just a couple of days before the Unpaid Item case closed I contacted a member that placed the 2nd highest bid asking if they would be interested in a Second Chance Offer after the Unpaid Item case closed.  I contacted the member directly instead of clicking on the Second Chance offer link.  The 2nd highest bidder said yes.  After the Unpaid Item case closed my item was automatically relisted.  I tried to stop the listing but couldn't get into my account using the eBay app on my iPhone.  Meanwhile I received two bids on the same item that was relisted.  So, can I still offer a Second Chance Offer to the 2nd highest bidder from the first listing or is it too late now that the item has been relisted and has received two bids?  

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Unless you have more than one it's too late. Let they "2nd chance" buyer know what happened.

"Those who enter the arena unarmed or unprepared are quickly dispatched."
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

First, be aware that if there is communication between you and the second-high bidder that is tied to that item, and you pull the listing, eBay may flag you for attempting an off-eBay transaction.

Second, If you cancel the bids and end the auction I believe you will be charged a final value fee on the high bid as if the item had sold.

And finally, you may also help reinforce the perception that eBay sellers are not willing to let auctions continue if they don't think the price is going to get high enough.

As for whether you can technically offer a sdecond-change listing ... have you gone to the old listing to see if the option is still there?

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Thank you for your response.  The item I listed shows up in two sections: "Sold" and "Active Selling".  I am technically able to send a second-chance offer for the item in the "Sold" section although I didn't follow all the way through by clicking on the "Continue" button.  

I wish I would have sent a second-chance offer with a duration that would have exceeded the date/time of the pending Unpaid Item case.  Had I done that the item probably would have been reserved for the second-highest bidder as opposed to being re-listed.  

Message 4 of 4
latest reply