cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I send a second invoice to a buyer?

I just sold a doll to a lady in Puerto Rico. The amount for shipping that Ebay gave her to pay was less than the actual cost of shipping--she paid $9.60, the cost is $14.90. She agreed to pay the extra, but I can't figure out how to send her an invoice for it? Is there a way to do this?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Can I send a second invoice to a buyer?

If she hasn't paid yet you can go to the actions drop down next to the sale and use the send invoice option, revising the shipping before you send it. If she already paid then you can send her an invoice through PayPal for the balance.

Generally speaking, asking a buyer to pay extra shipping is never a good idea. You need to make sure your listing has accurate information which will result in the buyer being charged the correct amount from the get-go. The buyer is under no obligation to pay the additional shipping cost. When this kind of mistake is made eBay expects sellers to pay for it out of pocket.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

As it turns out, she was fine paying the extra shipping. I'm not sure what went wrong--when I listed it, I put in the weight and dimensions of the package. And I did put that it was a large package, not an envelope.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

$9.60 is the retail cost for a 1 pound Priority package to Zone 8

$14.90 is the retail cost for a 2 pound Priority package to Zone 8

It could be that you had the weight wrong. I'm glad it's working out for you and that your buyer was so understanding and accommodating.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I'm glad this worked out for you this time, but you really shouldn't do this.  Not only is it against the Ebay rules, you could really upset your buyer.  So use more caution if you are going to use calculated shipping so you don't have this happen again.  Or if you do make a mistake, as us humans tend to do from time to time, you should pay the difference and not ask the buyer to chip in more.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

"I'm not sure what went wrong--when I listed it, I put in the weight and dimensions of the package. And I did put that it was a large package, not an envelope."

I went to the Barbie listing that closed yesterday and tested a  couple of different ZIP Codes in the shipping calculator section.  As noted in the other post, you made a mistake when you set up the listing; it is charging buyers for a 1-pound package, not 2 pounds.  It's showing $9.60 to me here in Massachusetts, too -- the extra cost wasn't because your buyer was in PR, it was because you charged her for the wrong weight.

Also, your package wasn't a "Large" package.  But as long as you enter the dimensions correctly it doesn't matter whether you choose regular or large for your package.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply