cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I offer a discount to not include display box

I'm selling a couple vintage glass plates from 1972.  These plates are not for eating on, but display only.   The plates are in the original side by side display box.  The display box is damaged from someone putting tape on the box to seal it closed. Naturally, when I removed  the tape, it tore the felt facing off the box.  The box is not tall, but it is long due to the plates being side by side.  I have a price for the whole thing, I'm offering free shipping too.  It would be cheaper for me to just sell the plates without the long damaged display box.  Would be a lot less bulky.   Is there a way to offer that?  Say, as an example:  $40 for the plates and display box, $30 for just the plates only.  Can this be done, if so how?   Thx.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Can I offer a discount to not include display box

FWIW-  I saw dozens of "collector" plates in two different thrifts in the past few weeks.

One had the plates at $2Cdn (~$1.50US) each with or without boxes, the other as I recall were $1.00 each.

Everyone who wanted them was able to buy them. The only limit in the "limited edition" was that when punters stopped buying them, the companies stopped making them.

And as you say, they are not food safe.

Frankly, box or no box, it will cost you more to ship them than you can get for them.

Keep the box though. If you don't advertise it with the box, you can still use the box to ship the plate safely.

You can check the Sold listings for similar items and what the selling prices are (as compared to asking prices).

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

I was intrigued, and looked for the listing. It's not there. Did you sell it already?

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Here is the link to my plates. https://www.ebay.com/itm/153801307881

I had a long reply written out and its been lost for some reason. Anyway, will give an abbreviated version of the post I lost. I think with the free shipping I'm offering I would prefer to ship these plates without the box, especially since the top of the box has been damaged from pulling the tape off it. There is a company advertising these same plates for $80, but the box is in really good shape. Whether they get that price or not is up to a buyer. That gave me a ballpark figure at least to work with in pricing these.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

"Keep the box though. If you don't advertise it with the box, you can still use the box to ship the plate safely."

I would prefer to do away the display box and ship them "stacked" on top of each other (with bubble wrap of course), I think it would be cheaper shipping cost. A smaller box.
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@good2buy wrote:
I think with the free shipping I'm offering I would prefer to ship these plates without the box, especially since the top of the box has been damaged from pulling the tape off it.

I don't think you will see much if any price difference with or without the box, as it seems to enclose the plates pretty closely and would not add much to the dimensions of the shipping box. It also seems intended for display, and the area on top where you say the tape pulled off the finish are not really visible when the lid is moved to the back of the box, as you have it in your photos. Collectors will always prefer a set with the box than one without, even if it's less than perfect on the outside.

You don't give the dimensions of these plates; you should add their diameter to your listing. It looks as though the set might fit in the Board Game version of a Priority Mail Flat Rate Large Box (which is 23 11/16" x 11¾" x 3"). Fill the empty areas of the box with either styrofoam peanuts or bubble wrap to keep the plates from shifting around.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Thanks A C,
I just needed confirmation that collectors would rather have the box, no matter condition, within reason. And yes, it does display pretty decent when the top of the box is put behind it. I'm not at home at the moment, so cant measure the plates, but I forgot about the flat rate box. I'll have to get the dimensions up when I can. 23 11/16 by 11.75 I think will be cutting it close though.
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@good2buy 

My error! I skimmed your post and saw '$40 or $30'... I had forgotten that people still 'rounded' prices, and scrolled right by the listing. Hip, Hip to 'Old School'!

Yes, I think the boxes would be of no value to your buyer. I even think the listing would look better if photographed without them.

Decisions, decisions...

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Yeah, when I mentioned $40 and $30, I wasn't even thinking of people going to my actual listing.  I'm really not posting to advertise.  But I tend to agree with you, unless the box is in mint shape, I wouldn't want it.   But, as AC Green pointed out, a collector would rather have the box. 

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

I searched for Val St.Lambert Plates Old Masters and I think your price might be a bit ambitious, but I wish you luck with them.  

Message 10 of 10
latest reply