cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CANT FIND CATEGORY TO LIST ANYMORE!

Hello,

I am not a rookie here.  Been selling for 12 years and never had such issues with placing my items in categories.  I keep taking months long breaks from here because of the constant frustration.  I look at others listings, still can't find where the category is I want to place this.  Everything I list is unique, so far to many of these issues.

Can anyone tell me how to get this to list in this category?

This should NOT be this hard EBAY!   That is NOT directed to anyone but the powers that be that think I should be a mind reader.

Thank you!

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: CANT FIND CATEGORY TO LIST ANYMORE!

@sugarnspice777 

OMG...I feel so stupid...

Just click "Have One to Sell" ---> Sell Now

under the main picture (in the sample item you gave us)

that puts you in that top-level category

you can make any changes on your listing form

Message 16 of 26
latest reply

You've probably already done this, but have you created a template based on your other listings in that category?  You should be able to use that template as your base and then change the details as need for each listing.  The category would be saved in the template, and you wouldn't have to look it up each time.

There's so much in the glassware category.  I just used 'blue pottery bowl' and was blown away by what came up.  Some of it was pretty cool if I might say so.

Good luck

Message 17 of 26
latest reply

I do Pottery and Glass all the time but I use a 3rd party listing software so this part is a bit automated for me.

Likely the easiest way to do this is to first look up the same item on eBay - or as close as you can get. Then up at the top of the listing page right under "SHOP BY CATEGORY" you will see "Listed in Category" ... and then the "bread crumbs" from the main category listing to the "leaf" category (the lowest subcategory you have to place your listing.

I just tried this for a vase by Hyalyn Porcelain in NC, and the bread crumbs are: 

Collectibles & Art | Pottery & Glass | Decorative Pottery & Glassware | Vases. The URL looks like this:
.https://www.ebay.com/b/Decorative-Pottery-Glassware-Vases/262408/bn_7117883158

I'm not sure if the listing function on the site or on your phone will use it, but that number you see, 262408 is the "numeric" category for ".../vases".  In the program I use, I can type in that number and it will translate it to that long URL for the category.

That is the easiest way I know to do it - start with the item you're listing, look up its equivalent on eBay, and use that same category for the item you find. 

Message 18 of 26
latest reply

Message 19 of 26
latest reply

Agreed. I never source by category. I do it by name or keyword.

Message 20 of 26
latest reply

I generally search by keyword, but sometimes if you're looking for vintage items that doesn't work.  A seller may not KNOW the correct search terms, and you have to go in by category and scroll through.  Say you're looking for a Shawnee Pottery elephant vase (dunno if they made one in reality).  Shawnee, if memory serves since I'm not a pottie, didn't sign things.  It helps to find one if you can easily find the vintage pottery categories to scroll through elephant vases.  EBay of course, screwed that up when they mangled the search. (and if you think pottery got hit, jewelry categories were utterly destroyed. If you don't know about that one you don't want to.  It chased some good sellers off of the platform before I finally quit.) 

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 21 of 26
latest reply

@stetbooks wrote:

Agreed. I never source by category. I do it by name or keyword.

But sometimes when you do a  search, eBay only shows results from one category. Therefore  the seller wants their listing to be in the right category so it will be shown to you when eBay does this automated category selection.

Message 22 of 26
latest reply

After writing the Item Title in a Sell Similar listing, eBay's system will no longer show a recommended option for the category it belongs to.  For example, when listing a thermostat in a "Sell Similar" listing for a previously sold action figure, I have to manually enter the category if the UPC is not in file.  In the past, it would show up as an option anyway because "thermostat" would fit in the obvious category through their "AI" (yeah?)   

I've been dealing with this well over a month, and right now too.  Please bring back the assistance-----another off-topic, but similar issue is entering all the information, then change the category manually, and all the information disappears and I have to fill it in all over again.  Please stop!  lol

Message 23 of 26
latest reply

I found that out the hard way as well.

Now I NEVER enter any IS etc until I change the category, because it doesn't even carry over IS etc when the fields are the same, let alone anything new you've entered.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 24 of 26
latest reply

I always use sell similar. I choose any active listing, remove the photos and save as a draft. In drafts choose the listing and select the > icon in category. Ebay then offers me the most likely categories based on my title. 

Message 25 of 26
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 26 of 26
latest reply