cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyers exploiting Covid-19 postage delays, no support from eBay to speak of.

Dear fellow eBay users,

A quick tale of woe and warning, with some odd details thrown in. I have the suspicion that certain unscrupulous buyers are exploiting the current postal delays, with eBay's unintentional support due to their buyer-friendly policies, to rip off sellers. EBay have indirectly confirmed that this is the case.

I sold a valuable CD player (€517) on ebay.de to Taiwan in early October. Because of the weight of over 10kg, the postage cost was €120. The buyer immediately paid, I gave them positive feedback and when they gave me good feedback a few days later, I thought no more of it.

A few weeks later, the buyer opened a case, as the item had not been delivered. It was Friday evening. Oddly, the eBay overview that the buyer had seen estimated delivery on the 19th October at the latest, whereas my view on the iOS app showed 19th November at the latest. More on this later.

I sent a screenshot to the buyer, and asked him to give me time to begin track and trace with the post office. The buyer told me that he was no longer interested in the CD player, as "his client had cancelled the order". He just wanted his money back.

On the following Monday, I initiated track and trace with the post office and phoned eBay to tell them what I had done to try and resolve the conflict.

A very friendly call centre operative thanked me for calling, said I had done exactly the right thing, and that eBay would therefore give me an extension for resolving the conflict.

Two days later, with no further communication, eBay decided in favour of the buyer, who received a full refund of €637.

I called them up, they were very friendly and said that they understood, and that in any case I would have 30 days after eBay's decision to appeal. When I pointed out the discrepancy between estimated delivery dates of a month between the buyers' and sellers' views, they claimed that my screenshot of the app was "not an official eBay view" and was "not evidence"... Hmm... Have a look at the attached screenshots for yourselves...

They insisted that until there was a change in the situation, they could not do anything anyway.

Then, on Friday the 6th November, I got a message from the buyer saying that the post office had invited him to collect the parcel and pay €83 import tax. If not, he claimed, the parcel would become property of the state and auctioned off.

When I had sent the parcel, I had ticked the box asking for it to be returned to me if undeliverable, so I immediately contacted the post office with this new information, hoping that they would organise the return free of charge because of the excessive delay.

On Monday 9th November, before I had a chance to sort things out with the post office, the buyer informed me that he had picked up the parcel, paid €83, and if I wanted to have it back, I would have to transfer €83 tax + €125 postage to his PayPal account and he would then send it back to me...

I spoke with eBay again at length on the evening of the 9th. As far as they are concerned, there is nothing that they can (or are willing to) do. The case is closed for them.

They did, however, tell me that they think there are buyers in several parts of the world - the countries they mentioned were China, Thailand, Italy and the USA - who are exploiting eBay's buyer protection scheme and the postal delays being caused by the global COVID-19 restrictions to rip sellers off. Even if postal workers are working, there are fewer planes flying and that means capacity is reduced, even while there are more online purchases being made.

I had suggested to my buyer that sending another €208 to him without any protection would be a risky proposition for me, given everything that has happened so far, and that a fairer approach would be for him to list the CD player on eBay in Taiwan, take his costs out of the proceeds and return the rest to me. Needless to say, he did not respond to this proposal.

Here is a direct quote from his last message to me: "I won't respond to you again unless you have a better solution."

I wanted to warn other eBay users about the current situation. By not changing their predicted delivery times and/or refund policies and by showing buyers and sellers different delivery date estimates and then denying that they are doing it, eBay are currently losing custom, money and goodwill.

Just for context, I have been using eBay for 20 years to buy and sell, perhaps I have been lucky but I have never experienced anything like this before.

Be careful out there!

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Buyers exploiting Covid-19 postage delays, no support from eBay to speak of.

yup.  Never list anything you cannot afford to give away.

This quest stands on the edge of a blade...stray but a little and you shall fail to the ruin of us all.
"The Lady Galadriel"
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Re: Buyers exploiting Covid-19 postage delays, no support from eBay to speak of.

Thank you for this warning. But I came here looking for  answers as to why shipping from China is taking so long.  I have orders going as far back as Sept. 13  that have not been delivered, and with an estimated delivery date of almost 9 weeks to the Eastern US.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

You are right, eBay is the worst in protecting sellers. Did eBay force you to refund the buyer at the first place(€637)?

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Can you present your communication to eBay indicating that the item was picked up, and they took the refund as well. That seems to be a clear indicator that the item was delivered, and you should be paid by ebay.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

It would definitely be in Ebay's interest to get this figured out and start protecting it's sellers. Between the holiday backlog and the fact that this pandemic is far from over ,delays are going to be an issue for a while yet and things are not going back to normal anytime soon . I have read post after post regarding this kind of thing and other issues where sellers are not feeling confident or being protected and it is resulting in several sellers leaving for good, some putting their stores on "vacation" mode and listings on "time away" mode. This definitely  is going to hurt Ebay's bottom line for the short term but has a real potential to hurt in the long term as well. Between word of mouth from existing sellers and all of the negative results that show up when doing internet searches ,more existing sellers are bound to leave and  potential new sellers are going to think twice about doing business here. 

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

If you do not agree with eBays decision you do have a right to have a Arbitration Hearing.  As long as you follow all of the procedure required by eBay prior to asking for a Arbitration eBay pays for the cost of the Arbitration.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/member-behavior-policies/user-agreement?id=4259&st=3&pos=1&query=...

You need to read the entire procedure but here a a few highlights

A party who intends to seek arbitration must first send to the other, by certified mail, a valid Notice of Dispute ("Notice"), which may be downloaded at this link. The Notice to eBay must be sent to eBay Inc., Attn: Litigation Department, Re: Notice of Dispute, 583 W. eBay Way, Draper, UT 84020.  ....................................................................

If you and eBay are unable to resolve the claims described in a valid Notice within 30 days after eBay receives that Notice, you or eBay may initiate arbitration proceedings. A form for initiating arbitration proceedings is available on the AAA's site at www.adr.org

Costs of Arbitration

Payment of all filing, administration and arbitrator fees will be governed by the AAA's rules, unless otherwise stated in this Agreement to Arbitrate. If you complied with the Notice of Dispute procedures of Section 2 of this Agreement ("Arbitration Procedures") and the value of the relief sought is $10,000 or less, at your request, eBay will pay all administration and arbitrator fees associated with the arbitration. 

If everything you say is correct my guess is it will be resolved in your favor within 30 days after your "Notice of Dispute" to eBay.

Keep in mind eBay will read all the communication that was thru eBay. 

Message 7 of 7
latest reply