cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyers Not Paying After Auction

Can anyone help explain to me how a buyer can win an auction and then simply not pay?  Do I need to have something set up on my end where when they bid, they are automatically going to be charged, or is this an eBay problem.  I usually do buy it now, just had the same item go up for auction twice, and the first time just never paid for, the second time got the message " I didn't mean to bid on this item" which just seems like buyers remorse?  

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

It works both ways, I can win and pay for items and the sellers never ships or cancels the order for some bogus reason to avoid a defect.

You have 2 choices here, you can either cancel the order saying " Buyer asked to cancel" and you can relist it immediately, or you can wait the 96 hours to cancel because "buyer did not pay" and they will get a UPI strike.

The buyer did at least communicate with you so I would choose the first option, but the choice is yours. 

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

@l6adventure wrote:

Can anyone help explain to me how a buyer can win an auction and then simply not pay?  

Easy.

Buyer wins.

Buyer does not pay.

It happens all the time.

Ebay has a system in place to deal with these folks.

Wait 3 days.

Cancel the transaction on the 4th day. Reason: Buyer did not pay.

This will give the buyer a strike.

Enough of these strikes and sellers can block this buyer from bidding/buying from them.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@l6adventure wrote:

Can anyone help explain to me how a buyer can win an auction and then simply not pay?  Do I need to have something set up on my end where when they bid, they are automatically going to be charged, or is this an eBay problem.  I usually do buy it now, just had the same item go up for auction twice, and the first time just never paid for, the second time got the message " I didn't mean to bid on this item" which just seems like buyers remorse?  

This is a common issue and has been since forever, this is the reason (or one of them) why most sellers do not use the Auction format.

eBay started an attempt that would require buyers to have a credit card on file to bid on Auctions. There was a lot of pushback from sellers because it eliminated the ability to combine multiple Auction wins and perhaps also discouraged buyers from bidding if they had to have an on file payment method.   

Some buyers will bid on multiple Auctions for the same item, then they only pay for one of them. Other buyers find a listing and place a bid then while waiting for that one to end they either change their mind or they find an alternate Fixed Price listing that they buy and then bail on the Auction should they end up paying.

Most of your Auctions only had 1 or 2 bids so they could have been Fixed Price. The baseball bat you had to list twice got lots of bids but no payment, probably bidders got a bit too excited and then when it came time to pay they decided they had bid too high.

This is not an "eBay problem" it is a BUYER problem, it just comes with the Auction format, always has and probably always will and is the main reason I gave up on Auctions 15 years ago.

The only thing you can  do that will help is to always wait the 4 days, cancel for non-payment and set your buyer block for anyone with 2 or more non-payment strikes in the past 12 months. That will weed out SOME of the non-payers.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply