cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer wants to return kids electric dirt bike

Just got a message from a buyer who wants to return a kids dirt bike, reason being his son is too tall for it. This was a fairly expensive shipment ($46) and will roughly be the same to return it (I pay return shipping). I'll also be stuck with an open and most likely used large item I can't re-sell as new. I charged for shipping, is he entitled to a full refund, shipping included? I could understand if it was damaged or something but your son being too tall is kinda your fault for not doing your homework beforehand. 

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

We need to know a couple of things.

Do you have a free returns policy?

What will be the "official" reason the buyer will use when he initiates a return?

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 2 of 22
latest reply

You offered free returns, so they can return it for any reason.

If they open a remorse return, you can deduct the original shipping they paid from the refund.

Have a great day
Message 3 of 22
latest reply

You offered free returns on the item.

The buyer is entitled to return the item for free, no matter what the reason.

You cannot offer free returns and then decide it is too expensive to offer free returns. 

You do not have to refund the original shipping that the buyer paid.

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

"30 days returns. Seller pays for return shipping."

Not sure which reason he will choose as all he did was message me asking for a return label and the reason he wants to return it

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

I honestly have zero issue with the return in general, returns happen, I'm just curious if I should refund the shipping. I charged $69.99 for shipping, it ended up being $46 since he was only 2 states away & I will also have to pay the return shipping. As I mentioned, if it was damaged or not as described I would give him a full refund including shipping, but based on him not doing his research and his son being too tall, I don't think it's fair I lose $100 total on shipping.

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

So you add $92 to your costs in shipping back and forth.

But you get a bike that you can resell, the buyer can't leave feedback, and business losses are tax-deductible.

Not a win/win but not the end of the world.

Accept the return, send the shipping label, refund on arrival, relist, resell.

Or refuse.

Get a Not As Described dispute.

Be forced to either pay for return shipping or to abandon the bike.

Be forced to refund.

Get a Defect for non-cooperation which can mean higher fees, restrictions on the number and value of future listings, or even a closed selling account.

Your choice.

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

@alwaysthelowestprice wrote:

"30 days returns. Seller pays for return shipping."

Not sure which reason he will choose as all he did was message me asking for a return label and the reason he wants to return it

@alwaysthelowestprice 

With that Return policy, you can expect the buyer to pay return shipping if they cite the honest remorse reason. Conversely, if the buyer uses a false Not as Described reason, you'll pick up the return shipping cost. Good luck.

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

You chose free shipping.

You do not have to refund the original $46.00 shipping the buyer paid.

You will need to pay for the return shipping label

(If he opens a return on eBay)

How much do you think you should refund him?

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

Which option should I tell him to choose? If he even does the right thing Screenshot 2024-03-02 165556.png

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

Doesn't fit.

His son is too tall for the bike.

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

Which option should I tell him to choose?

@alwaysthelowestprice 

You're not required to help the buyer choose the Return reason. Hopefully, they'll select the honest one, though. 🤞

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

You refund ONLY the purchase price (since you have a shipping amount shown and buyer paid that)

You ONLY eat the 'return' shipping as that is how you have it set up.

In the future, listings should be '30 day returns, Buyer pays return shipping' on large items if not all items. 

IF you are TRS and the item is getting returned in a manner that is 'less than', you can deduct up to 50% of the 'refund' cost. 

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

Because you offer "free returns" (customer can return item for any reason and you must pay).   However, when bike is returned if it is not in "brand new condition" you can deduct large percentage because item was damaged.

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

Ask your buyer to open a return for "doesn't fit", tell him that a shipping label will be provided if he does this, and you'll be able to track the shipment to refund his money soonest (a little diplomacy there).

ETA: He will pay for the shipment back.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 15 of 22
latest reply