cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer wants refund - Thinks he got wrong model because the box is different.

I purchased an Xbox-X series controller (new model). So I decided to sell my Xbox One controller. (Both controllers look completely different. You can't confuse them.)    When I sold my old XboxOne controller on eBay (which had a clear pic on the listing), to package it safely, I put it in the Xbox-X package to ship out since both controllers are about the same size.  

When the buyer got the item, he immediately demanded a refund stating item not as described, I sent the wrong item. He ordered an XboxOne but I sent him Xbox-X while sending me a pic of the back of the box (which shows xbox x on it). I can only imagine every person who traded up to an iphone 7,  put their iphone 6 in the new iphone 7 box for shipping and sold the iphone 6 on ebay getting a refund request from angry buyers claiming they were sold an iphone 7 instead of 6.

I went to address the refund but to my surprise, there was no option listed to "decline / deny refund."  **bleep**?  I can only refund, partial refund, send message to buyer. I send message to buyer showing links to website showing difference between both models. I sent him pics of both models including what I sent. Showed all evidence and explained that he got the correct item (xboxone controller) with a different box and asked him to cancel his refund request. He has not.  But status still shows I must resolve in 2 days as though I haven't taken action.   What am I supposed to do now? Because the dummy doesn't know the difference between the two different models even when they look completely different, I'm supposed to do a full refund now because a random box for a used item says something else?  I contacted ebay and they told me after 2 days they step in. What does that even mean? Do they just automatically refund buyer for nothing? This is utter **bleep**. It doesn't seem like I have any recourse. What am I supposed to do? 

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

"I'm supposed to do a full refund now..."

@rudolphg76 

This ^^^ is incorrect. You are not required to issue a full refund until your controller comes back to you.  Approve the Return request, send a label and get your item back. (You really have no recourse on a NAD claim.) You'll be able to relist it... I find that if an item sells once, it will again. Good luck.

Edit: for what it's worth, I think your shipping box was fine. Unfortunately, it appears that no good deed goes unpunished. Sorry this happened to you.

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

Under this premise, anyone can do a NAD claim and get  a refund even if you get a perfectly good item matching the description that you ordered. Nobody sees a flaw in this?

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

@rudolphg76 wrote:

Under this premise, anyone can do a NAD claim and get  a refund even if you get a perfectly good item matching the description that you ordered. Nobody sees a flaw in this?

@rudolphg76 

Oh... we all see a flaw in this. We're on your side, too.

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

@rudolphg76 wrote:

Hmm how would eBay; or for that mater any one: know what you sent.

or what you receive back.

That is the flaw in online selling.

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

Let the buyer send a pic of the item he received.  It will easily match the item I listed on Ebay. He only sent a pic of the box which means nothing. The box could be an old box for a bottle of shampoo for all it matters.

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

Have you asked him to actually open the box?

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

@rudolphg76 wrote:

Let the buyer send a pic of the item he received.  It will easily match the item I listed on Ebay. He only sent a pic of the box which means nothing. The box could be an old box for a bottle of shampoo for all it matters.

@rudolphg76 

It matters not. Unfortunately, eBay doesn't use photos, videos, etc., as proof of anything.

I only hope you get your old controller and your new box back. There's a market for the boxes, too. IJS...

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

@rudolphg76 

If you can not get the buyer to understand, and close the return unfortunately you have 2 choices.

Accept the return, pay return shipping, and refund in full when it arrives

Or

Fight the return, and eBay will refund with your money, and may or may not require the item to be returned.

You have to choose the path that best suits you.

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

@rudolphg76 wrote:

stock photos are every were as well as used items.   easily faked (by acquiring such) photos can be sent:

The buyer does not have to do such and ebay would not accept such due to above statement.

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

" I contacted ebay and they told me after 2 days they step in. What does that even mean?"

It means, if you don't accept the return, then ebay may refund  the buyer for you and even let them keep the item too.

Possibilities and conjecture;

It could be that the buyer has never read or hasn't logged in to even see the message you sent.

The buyer may base everything on the box you sent and simply thought you sent the wrong but similar item and wants to return the unopened box based on that assumption.

It could even be that the original box was important to the buyer. Many buyers see value in original boxes.

"What am I supposed to do?"

Accept the return then refund when you get it back.

-------------
Posting ID
Message 11 of 27
latest reply

game systems, phones, and laptops are big targets for fraud! I would suggest no selling out of country! eBay needs to come up with a resolution.

Maybe the alternate solution is to donate and claim on tax return if possible.  

Karma will get those who cheat! 

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

I'm with you here. Unfortunately in regards to consumers, the "lowest common denominator" is quite low. Any business would be losing money having procedures set up to try and cater to all of them.

Having said that... I wonder if your buyer ever received an item shipped in a cereal box (a common thing mentioned here) and actually thought he received some Rice Crispies rather than the 2k diamond ring he purchased, lol.

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

Even when you have NO RETURNS customers are protected by EBAY GUARANTEE (which allows them to return item if "not as described or defective."  

You MUST accept return...if you don't accept return EBAY will automatically refund customer (and tell them to keep the item for free) and you get a "penalty" for not obeying the rules.

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

Unfortunately, when a buyer opens a claim for not as described the seller doesn't really have many choices  all which end with you losing money on the shipping.  The best option is to accept the return and let eBay issue the return shipping label.  Upon receipt of your controller you will have to refund.  If the buyer doesn't return your controller then you won't need to refund, nor will you have to pay for the return shipping label if it isn't used.  You will at least be refunded  the final value fees.  If eBay steps in you can lose both the item and your money.  They will  also give you a defect for not resolving the claim without intervention.

If for any reason you do not get your original controller back then come back here for options.

I don't really see the point of your buyer making such a fuss over the box itself when it's not part of the listing.  You do need to add this buyer to your blocked bidder list too. You don't need this dummy buying from you. 

Message 15 of 27
latest reply