cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer wants an item to be put on hold for 9 days before paying for it

A buyer wants me, the seller,  to hold an item she wants to buy for the  9 days until she can pay for it. Right off the top, I don't think that is a good idea. What are the additional fees if I end the listing and then re-list it in 9 days? Also, what if she doesn't come through after the nine days, and I 've spent the additional re-listing money?

It doesn't seem to be worth it.  Is it? Am I missing something?

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Yup, all my items are sold first come, first served.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 24 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

@italiana49 wrote:

A buyer wants me, the seller,  to hold an item she wants to buy for the  9 days until she can pay for it. Right off the top, I don't think that is a good idea. What are the additional fees if I end the listing and then re-list it in 9 days? Also, what if she doesn't come through after the nine days, and I 've spent the additional re-listing money? It doesn't seem to be worth it.  Is it? Am I missing something?

If I were in yoru shoes, I would tell my prospective buyer that if the item is still available in nine days then she is welcome to purchase it and pay for it. 

Message 2 of 35
latest reply

"Also, what if she doesn't come through after the nine days"

Another buyer with immediate payment could come through tomorrow.  I wouldn't hold it.  Anyone living that close on the edge may have a catastrophy in the nine days making the funds needed elsewhere.

Message 3 of 35
latest reply

I personally would not do that unless it was one of my repeat buyers.  For them I'll do quite a bit.

But no, this isn't a good idea.  Just be really polite and professional and let them know that if the item is still available in 9 days, they are welcome to purchase it.  But it is first come first serve.

You have a couple hundred free listings every month, so unlikely you would have any additional costs if you closed the listing to relist it at a later date.  But honestly I would not do that.  There is no guarantee that buyer will ever come back to purchase the item.  

After all you are here to sell your stuff.  You don't owe anything to this buyer.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 4 of 35
latest reply

I am unsure what the problem is,probably they do not have a credit card.They shoud just buy it now and pay,what is the big deal.they can just owe the CC company instead of the seller

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 5 of 35
latest reply

What does it hurt to hold it for 9 days for this buyer? If they don't come through in 9 days, you can always relist it then. Nothing hurt. I have done this many times for potential sellers. In my experience, they always come through. Some people live paycheck to paycheck. I have compassion for people that are trying to get by and still plan to get the things they want. If they were trying to scam you, there are way better ways than this.

Message 6 of 35
latest reply

If you have immediate payment required on a buy it now, you will be penalized by eBay for not shipping in your required time frame.  If it is an auction or a buy it now without immediate payment, you technically could wait for payment for 9 days if you were so inclined.  I personally would not do that unless it was an item that I had been sitting on for awhile and wanted it sold.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 7 of 35
latest reply

It is feasible that a buyer only gets paid once per month - people like teachers, military personnel, sales people on commission only, people on Social Security, etc.

Personally, have held an item for several buyers for up to two weeks and never once been  stiffed.  I nicely set  conditions of the hold  like  1.  Go a head a buy the item  2.   expect full payment by such and such a date  3.  if not paid by that date I will open an Unpaid Item case.  Yes I was open to a non payment situation and added time  to relist but it never happen - guess I trust people especially if they ask in advance - maybe I helped someone who was in a financial pinch but wanted that item for their special reason.  On thing I  learned in my real 41  years sales career  is  have some empathy  for a prospective buyer - it usually pays off in the long run.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 8 of 35
latest reply

You could kindly say...You may purchase this item when you have sufficient funds, if it is still available.

Done.

Next?

Message 9 of 35
latest reply

@evry1nositswindy wrote:

If you have immediate payment required on a buy it now, you will be penalized by eBay for not shipping in your required time frame. 

If you had buy it now and immediate payment required, you would be in this predicament.  They can't buy it unless they pay for it. Isn't that a great concept?

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 10 of 35
latest reply

Holding item will just give customers a chance to "shop around" for a better price elsewhere. 

I once had customer that gave me a sob story and I held item for 30 days.  After the 30 days...I contacted her about paying for item (she got very indignant and said she didn't remember agreeing to purchase item).

Message 11 of 35
latest reply

I get asked all the time if I will hold an item until someone gets paid, and unless they are a known, regular buyer, the answer is no.

I used to do it, and most never returned and I lost the window to sell that item. If they really want it, they will get it when they have the money.

I do holds for my regular customers, and repeat buyers on eBay are few for me. On another platform I sell on, I hold items quite frequently for my frequent buyers as I know they will follow through.

I wouldn't do it here. Leave the item up and tell buyer that you don't do holds but hopefully it will be still be available when she is ready 🙂

Message 12 of 35
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

@italiana49 wrote:

A buyer wants me, the seller,  to hold an item she wants to buy for the  9 days until she can pay for it. Right off the top, I don't think that is a good idea. What are the additional fees if I end the listing and then re-list it in 9 days? Also, what if she doesn't come through after the nine days, and I 've spent the additional re-listing money? It doesn't seem to be worth it.  Is it? Am I missing something?

If I were in yoru shoes, I would tell my prospective buyer that if the item is still available in nine days then she is welcome to purchase it and pay for it. 

Great advice.

Message 13 of 35
latest reply

It's unclear if this is a prospective buyer, or a buyer. Have they actually committed to the listing? If so, hold it for the nine days. If they don't pay, file an unpaid item case and close it out 96  hours later.

If it's someone just asking, simply tell them that if it's still available to purchase when they're able, then they're more than welcome to buy it.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 14 of 35
latest reply

We're broke today. We'll be broke in 9 days. So we don't mind waiting for payment.

We agree to this often. And about 90% of the time they do pay.

Message 15 of 35
latest reply