cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer wants a refund, what do you think??

Hey community,

I recently sold a rather expensive fly rod/reel combo and buyer bought it pretty quickly with no discussion on the cost and 30$ shipping, which I was surprised of. Regardless, I packed it and sent 2nd day air UPS. He received it and immediately sent for a request for refund. 

Return Reason: Arrived Damaged

Comments: Found rod broke on initial inspection after delivery. Was packed well and packaging shows no damage.

I sent this rod in a hard case with lots of bubble wrap (comes in 4 pieces that lock together), for 1 of the 4 pieces of this rod to be broken  in that manner, the box would have to be destroyed, which he said it wasn't at all, as well as the other 3 pieces would be severed. So either 1) he is really accusing me of sending him a broken rod, which I must have done during packaging.... What would my incentive be to do this, what do I possibly gain? I showed the listing with a complete rod that was in pristine condition. If he is not accusing me of this, then I guess he thinks 2) a UPS employee opened the box, which would be very tedious from how it was packaged, and snapped it over their knee to break it in half, placed it back carefully and packaged it again, and sent it to the buyer?? Likely not. Which in our back and forths he says to see if UPS or Ebay will refund me. 

What do yall think is going on? I have thoughts but would like to hear others'

Something I will note, this rod company does offer lifetime warranty on rods and will replace these segments of the rod for around 50$ deductible and you pay for shipping, may have to wait up to 2-5 months i've heard, so not too very convenient.  Just think about this fact when deciding on what could be occurring here. 

Ebay suggested I accept the return and go from there, which I did. I'm waiting to receive it now.

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Buyer wants a refund, what do you think??

Sellers with a low feedback number and very few sales who then sell a somewhat expensive item are low hanging fruit for scammers.  

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

That may be, but he has a few hundred sales with nothing but positive feedback.

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

m60driver was referring to you as a target for scammers because you are seen as a new seller. All buyers unless they are also sellers have perfect feedback. Never go with 100% feedback for a buyer because buyers can only get positive feedback. There is really not much you can do now because even if the buyer switched parts, you can't prove it with pictures and eBay will rule against you. 

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

Why would people sell here then? I won't be back if ebay just sides with buyers. I do have pics of marks that i made on the pieces so maybe just maybe they will believe me.

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

Oh and he has 468 sales with 100% feedback. Not looking good for me

Message 20 of 20
latest reply