cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer trying to return a switched item

I have received a request for a return from a buyer who claims the item I sent him is damaged.  There are several things leading me to believe that this is a scam return request and that the buyer is trying to return a different item than I sent to him (although the same product).  I have accepted the return request and notified the buyer that in order to expedite his return that he must return everything including the box the item was shipped in so that the USPS damage investigative team can examine those items once I make a claim.  The reason I have for believing this is a scam: 

First---the buyer became active on ebay ON THE VERY DAY they purchased from me (although they have other feedback) so they changed their id name.

Second---they sent pictures of their item enclosed in plastic wrap like the item was new out of the box.  The item I sent them did not have the interior plastic packaging as it was a used item.  It did however have a very sturdy styro foam clamshell which it came with, but not the original plastic wrap.

What else can I do in this instance to perhaps stop this scam from happening?  I am trying to do everything right here but I know that I will not be receiving the same item i sent.  Help anyone?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Accept the return, provide the shipping label, wait to see what (if anything) you get back, and go from there.

If you don't accept the return, and the buyer steps in, Ebay will refund the buyer out of your account, the buyer will probably not be required to return the item, you don't get your fees refunded and you will get a very nasty non-performance defect.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

I like your statement about "USPS damage investigative team" maybe I'll use that sometime.  

Really isn't anything you can do because Ebay ALWAYS sides with the customer (even if you have evidence proving fraud).    You must approve refund and give full refund (including postage). 

If refund is not given promptly and EBAY has to step in (they give full refund, tell customer not to return item and you give defect).

Unfortunately, Sellers no longer get any support from EBAY!

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

I used the USPS investigative verbiage on purpose.  LOL...

Currently waiting for the item to be returned before I issue a refund.  I suppose I can prepare myself for a loss here.  Was wondering if I should do something else like video the opening of the return? Anything I should do?  Thanks All!

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Ask the buyer to send you more pictures of the "damaged" item, then carefully compare the pictures to the pictures in your original listing.  You'll probably be able to find a tiny nick or scratch or structural difference on your original item that is not on the item in the buyer's pictures. Point out this discrepancy to the buyer and remember that all these messages can be looked at by eBay as evidence.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

The only suggestion I have is that you revisit your Returns policy. No Returns and no refunds are two different things.

Since you are a TRS, you have the ability to reduce the amount of the refund by up to 50% if a different/de-valued item is returned to you... if you offered Returns . It's one of the few seller protections left. Good luck.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

What else can I do in this instance to perhaps stop this scam from happening? 

Nothing as far as ebay is concerned.  It does not matter much what the buyer returns.  You will owe a refund anyway. 

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

I am a new seller, so I think that's why the buyer used me for this same exact scam, they knew I would be naive, not know what to do, and that ebay would side on their behalf because they have a lot of other items they have bought with good feedback.  I have been in constant contact with eBay from the very beginning of this ordeal, and still don't believe they're going to help me because they haven't throughout the entire time I've been dealing with the customer.  But in regards to you saying something about no returns or refunds, I had my listing with no returns or refunds and because they selected damaged during shipping I had no choice but to accept the return, eBay issued them a return label because the entire claims process I was trying to work out a compromise and the buyer refused to accept anything less than an entire refund and free return shipping.  I also had my item listed as used so if the item had in fact had signs of use or cosmetic issues I should have been covered in that area as well but still because they listed damaged during shipping they were aloud to ship it back to me for a full refund.  The buyer even had an image of the box that my item arrived in and you could clearly see that the box is in perfect condition yet they still allowed them to ship it back.  And I am 100% sure that the item they sent me back was not my item but an item that was the same with the defects and they were trying to get a better conditioned one for free!  eBay has seen my listing images, the images of the damages they claimed were on the item when they received it, and the images of what they sent back to me, which literally has a hole in it that wasn't there in my images or there's, but I'm sure they will still side with the buyer and I'll have to give a full refund because this entire time the customer service people tell me one thing and eBay does another!

Has anyone successfully won against a buyer who has done this?  If so please let me know and the original poster, because like I said so far the buyer I have has gotten away with this every step of the way and everything that I literally have done was exactly the advice I got directly from the customer service chats!

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

I have had exactly the same issue. Unfortunately this item is a £2500 watch. The buyer before buying enquired about the condition of the dial even though it was fully visible in close ups. I offered a spare cartier strap with the watch but the buyer said no it doesn't matter about the strap. When they got the watch they opened up a claim and sent a picture of a clearly different watch. There are deep scratches in the gold case and black marks all over the dial clearly visible that are not there in my photos of the watch,  time stamped to the second I listed it and that time stamp matching the time and date on the watch. 

The only good thing is that it went to ebay authenticator first who not only check that it's genuine but that it matches the description. Of course my funds are now on hold but only about £200 now so I won't be dispatching any more goods until they clear this up.

If they side with the buyer after all the fees they take from me, that will be the end of me and ebay 

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@watchhunter_1 

This is a 3 year old thread.  It's doubtful the OP will reply.  This is also a US forum.  Should you have any issues, questions or concerns it's always a good idea to start your own thread.  Lots of good people here who can be helpful.  

Happy Holidays.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply