cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer trying strong arm me into a partial refund, threatening negative feedback

I have a buyer who is insisting that an item I sold him is "counterfeit".

He is demanding a large partial refund  which would make the item so cheap its not even worth selling it.

Seems he is lying to try to get some $ back, and is threatening negative feedback if i dont give him most of the purchase price back.

What do I do??

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

ALL eBay sellers need to make themselves familiar with the Money Back Guarantee, preferably BEFORE beginning to list and sell here.

If/when a buyer claims an item is not as described, all he needs to do is open an NAD case.  The seller is required to send the buyer a prepaid shipping label and to refund in full upon receipt of the returned item.

Quit haggling with your buyer and tell him to open an NAD.  It doesn't matter if it's counterfeit or not, eBay will nearly always side with the buyer.

And please read the MBG.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

@shaw_carn   tell them to open a return item case and you will refund them upon receipt of item, then block them

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

"If you are unhappy with the item you purchased, please return for a full refund."

Rinse and repeat as necessary.  

Do not explain, defend, argue or try to prove a point.

"If you are unhappy with the item you purchased, please return for a full refund."

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Feedback extortion is against ebay policy and is one of the simpler feedbacks to get removed since there is clear messaging. Dont worry about it. 

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Buyer says it is counterfeit but he's willing to keep it if you give him a partial refund?  He's just fishing for part of his money back.  

As others have said, just tell him to go into his purchase history and click on "return this item" and follow the instructions.   You will have to issue a label for him to return the item.   Tell him you will issue a refund as soon as you receive the item back. 

If he actually told you in your eBay messages that he will give you a negative if you don't comply with his demands, you will be able to have the negative removed if he does leave you one. 

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@shaw_carn 

Tagging on with @golfingaddict ...

All buyers are entitled to a 30 money back guarantee...no questions or reasons.  This is eBay policy like it or not.   Start accepting returns in your listings as well.   Just a suggestion.

Sorry for your frustration.  

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

and is threatening negative feedback if i dont give him

@shaw_carn 

You can also report such communications directly on the message itself under the ACTION tab.  Perhaps this "tree shaker" doesn't realize everybody knows that a partial refund does not make the product "less counterfeit".  

Dear buyer. 

Sorry you are not pleased with your purchase.  Please return for a full refund.

Sincerely, 

You

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Partial refund bugger. Tell em to return for full refund. Sell it again to someone who will appreciate it. Do not give in to these partial refunds with false claims. It only increases their activity on here. Report them for feedback extortion.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Yeah, what get’s me about this stuff is that basically this is thievery with a different twist. Give me back my money and let me keep this item. What a crock these people are.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

I had someone who tried that on me on another site. I was so mad because I knew it was authentic. I told them to send it back to me for refund and told them not to buy again from my store. I have good enough feedback that one negative will not hurt me. Sooner or later everyone will get a negative. Just part of the business I guess. 

Message 11 of 11
latest reply